Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people keep dogs as pets?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have had a dog all my life bar a fee years when I was at Uni.

The current giraffe dog is a beautiful black labrador. Now ten years old she is still very lovely and very much part of the family. Throughout all of the problems life throws at you a dog is totally loyal to you, always faithful. They really are mans best friend.

They don't moan or nag, they don't judge, they just love. If you treat them kindly they will treat you just as well.

To not have a dog in your life is to not experience a special bond.

The fact they produce poo is a minor blip on an otherwise great thing.

This ruined my relationship with Liz Hurley when I found out.

Attachments

• sept11th 004.JPG
    sept11th 004.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 399

Jan 30, 2008
  1. They smell. You can easily tell a doggy house.
  2. They are noisy
  3. They eat poo.
  4. They kill/main people/other animals.including children and babies
  5. Some m*sturbate shamelessly in public
  6. They rip up and destroy possesions and furniture

They do everything bad that cats don't do.
Cats > dogs. :D:D
some of them haven't got any friends or treat them as a surrogate child
regards
DR

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
some of them haven't got any friends or treat them as a surrogate child
regards
DR

Try and imagine how your life might have turned out if you had had a decent owner.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd love to have a dog, but my fear of poo would prevent it.

I was retching at the sight of poo when I took my ex - girlfriends dog out for a walk - bless the old lady for picking it up.

It must be nice to have something genuinely excited to have you back home.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I love dogs too. Something really bad is happening in brighton and hove recently. Someone is going around putting poison in parks, a lot of dogs have died recently due to poison in parks. It's a terrible thing.
It certainly is, given the British are generally animal lovers.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I truly believe we should cull all domestic cats
Their sh!t can blind children, they crap everywhere but their own gardens, and they're wiping out our songbirds, just for the sport.

What are the stats on children going blind from cat poo? I found that their were 30 recorded or toxocariasis cases in between 2000 and 2010, it doesn't say if any of these cases causes blindness. It also says that toxocariasis is caused by cat, dog and fox poo. so in your research how many cases of blindness have been linked to cat poo alone? I can't find that data anywhere.

They do crap everywhere and have the decency to cover up their crap which means it composts pretty quickly. They generally prefer to poo on the loose soil of garden beds so generally their poo is not as much of an issue as dogs.

They probably do get a few songbirds from time to time, but they also keep down the population of rodents and other pests.
The RSPB have looked into the dwqindling numbers of songbirds int he UK and found that:
We have undertaken intensive research to find out why songbirds are in trouble. We discovered that the loss of food and habitats caused by intensive farming have played a major role in songbird declines. The change from spring to autumn sowing and the increase in the use of agricultural chemicals have reduced the amount of insects and weed seeds available for songbirds to eat.

These and other habitat changes, including the removal of hedgerows which are used for nesting, roosting and feeding sites by some birds, have been major reasons for the severe declines in many of our farmland species.

Songbirds need dense vegetation to nest in, to help protect their eggs and young from predators. This is not usually available in suburban gardens. You can help the birds in your garden by planting climbers such as ivy and honeysuckle, and dense shrubs such as hawthorn.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverande...dguide/name/m/magpie/effect_on_songbirds.aspx

More specifically about Cats and birds they say

No evidence
Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease, or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here