Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do banks need a holiday?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
August bank holiday is the last Monday of the month.

It is now, but it was the first Monday in the month until May Bank holiday was introduced. It was felt that there were too many bank holidays close together so August Bank holiday was moved to the last Monday. Spring Bank holiday used to be Whitsun which was moveable like Easter as it followed 6 weeks later, so that was fixed to the last Monday in May.
Glorious Goodwood used to combine with August bank holiday. As Miss Gull has pointed out, Scotland & NI didn't change theirs.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Here in Belgium public holidays are taken on the day they fall. If they fall on Saturday or Sunday it goes to the Monday. If they fall on Tuesdays or Thursdays if your boss is amenable you can take the Monday or the Friday as a 'bridge' so you can get 4 days off! The banks always do this anyway, which was extremely annoying before online banking.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Banks need a holiday to save the bankers from making too much money and pissing us all off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That makes us so hard done by. We are one of the highest in Europe for statutory holidays.

Partly this. I work in London but have staff in, amongst other places, Switzerland, Monaco, Madrid, Milan, Asia etc.......and because they work for a uk company, they get the same holiday allowance as us in the uk, plus all their extra public hols..........

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
On Thursday 17 April I was in a branch of Barclays just as a member of staff was locking the front door ( 4.30pm...unlike some banks that close at 5.00pm ) I remarked that I'd better hurry up or I'd be locked in until Saturday morning. The member of staff replied..' don't you mean Tuesday, we are shut for four days '
I was puzzled as to why they weren't open on Saturday, as it was a normal working day ( albeit a half-day ) and was told that it was normal practice to close for Easter.
Never mind the customers, we will do what we want to do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I used to enjoy Brighton Lions carnival in Preston Park on the August bank holiday :) Massive procession of floats, then get smashed at the beer tent :beer:

As an aside, you can thank B&H Council and Sussex Police for the carnival no longer happening. It ended up costing so much for road closures, policing and even charging for a podium for the mayor to stand on that they would make a loss.

Back on topic, it's all fine and dandy human workers getting the day off but what I don't get is why automated money transfers by COMPUTERS seem to still be affected by bank holidays ?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get 30 days plus all the public holidays.......but leave home at 5.45am and not usually home until 7.30pm most days.......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
36 days? Think you will find a lot of people like me get 28 days with the 8 bank holidays taken out of those 28 plus 3 or 4 days enforced leave over xmas

That is after 5 years. It's very often 25 days to start off including the 8 statutory days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here