Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do Americans think the whole world does thanks giving?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just after I'd added my two penn'orth about Thanksgiving, I opened a blogpost by a friend of mine who wishes we did celebrate it. But thinking that we should is not the same as thinking that we do

I was wished a Happy Thanksgiving giving yesterday by an American Client, he also asked what we were doing for it to which I replied nothing.

I was not offended, neither was he.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Nope. One I'm not from Merica and two why would i celebrate the genocide of Native Americans and untold wanton slaughter of millions of of turkeys. No thank you.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I'm working today so others can enjoy the vacation, oooops, holiday with their families. Many here don't always remember I spent twenty years in the states before and actually am very familiar with Thanksgiving. I do always find it amusing when Americans say "gobble gobble" as a greeting on this day. I was invited to a desk sargent's house for a later dinner and am contemplating doing that. The parade down State Street in Chicago was fairly impressive although at one time the rain came down hard. Marching bands and some floats like the Macy's parade in New York City but on a somewhat smaller scale. The Bears play the Packers tonight (currently 12:30 p.m. central US time). Bill Murray's never made a Thanksgiving movie or I would watch one of those. I have gotten a lot more work done today with many of the uniform officers on street patrol and the station mainly empty. It really wouldn't be a bad idea for the rest of the world to adopt this over eating holiday.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A kind of American St Patricks day right? Beer and food beats kids going round menacing people for sweets or a corporate shopping day.

Nobodies invited me though.:(

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
They call it thanksgiving i call it Christmas. My cards will say Merry Christmas etc. They have their traditions and i shall stick with mine, no problem.
I thought Baba Jesus was born later on 25/12 Soulman, but I might be wrong.
Perhaps your cards should say 'Merry Thanksgiving'.
Have a nice day !

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If you don’t like Americans fair enough – but don’t make ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes. I actually like Thanksgiving – it's very much about families and friends and enjoying a good meal and each other’s company.

Bit like Christmas without the post lunch rows?

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
It's not a 'fact' - anyway I'm done with this thread. Happy Thanksgiving to fellow US based NSCers

Thanks Lyndie - Was a really good day with 29 seated and lashings of Turkey, Yorkshire pudding and craft beers. Only downer was the damn Eagles who just want to ruin my sporting karma.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
It isn't celebrating death its a harvest festival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Its secular, pagan and global and is celebrated inmany ways.Over here we call it a harvest festival. Who told you it was about death and slaughter and why didn't you check your facts?

No but the who thing about thanksgiving is todo with the slaughter of many Native Americans.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicole-breedlove/thanksgiving-pequot-massacre_b_4337722.html

Here's an example.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
No but the who thing about thanksgiving is todo with the slaughter of many Native Americans.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicole-breedlove/thanksgiving-pequot-massacre_b_4337722.html

Here's an example.

Err, no, the whole thing about Thanksgiving is not to do with the slaughter of many Native Americans. You (and the activist writer) have conflated two separate issues to create a controversy. Native Americans have an absolute right to be angry over history but this argument is pretty stupid and doesn't relate to the present day Thanksgiving at all.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Err, no, the whole thing about Thanksgiving is not to do with the slaughter of many Native Americans. You (and the activist writer) have conflated two separate issues to create a controversy. Native Americans have an absolute right to be angry over history but this argument is pretty stupid and doesn't relate to the present day Thanksgiving at all.

The idea of Thanksgiving was giving thanks to god for delivering "his" people to the shores of America in a harsh time and allowing them to survive. Remember that Columbus left a crew on the island of Hispaniola and none of that crew survived. It is not known if they were slaughtered by the natives. The methods of taking the land that was "given" by god is all relative to the time. There are not many nations not guilty of slaughtering other peoples for their own gain of land in those times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here