Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Get honest on the penalty ffs you lot. Maupay was going down quicker than Zaha

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think you've answered your own question when you mention him trying to stay on his feet. Bizarrely his honesty actually costs us the decision. If he goes down immediately I think it gets given.

He knows it’s getting away from him………..even if he was touched it did not contribute to the decision. A touch Does Not means it has to be a penalty

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any chance of the video of the incident?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think Maupay knew he had pushed the ball a bit to far to easily tuck it in, so decided to go over after feeling a bit of contact.
He also blazed over from close range near the end after good work from March.

Not his best day.

At least we’re not completely reliant on him and have lots of options if he gets injured, tired, or loses from.

Oh.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Maupay went down too late imo. Looked like he went down because the ball was going out of play.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Krul catches him, and if he goes to ground directly after that then a penalty gets given. But instead Maupay tries to keep his balance and goes after the ball, eventually falling to ground a step later. Either thats because he tried to keep his balance but just couldnt manage it and falls, so its a penalty as the Krul touch was essentially enough to take him down, or it could look like Maupay had the opportunity to stay on his feet after the Krul touch but chose to go to ground when realising the ball had gone. Its that small level of doubt that means they've not given it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From 0:42.

I really want it to be an injustice, but that’s not a pen imho. Maupay was virtually on the ground already, the slightest of touches from Krul after that.

If we lost a match because of a pen decision against us such as that, I’d be annoyed.

I think we’ve all been brain washed by a couple of years or more of every conceivable pen being awarded, a cheats charter.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
From 0:42.

I really want it to be an injustice, but that’s not a pen imho. Maupay was virtually on the ground already, the slightest of touches from Krul after that.

If we lost a match because of a pen decision against us such as that, I’d be annoyed.

I think we’ve all been brain washed by a couple of years or more of every conceivable pen being awarded, a cheats charter.

What the **** are you on about? he gets clipped, then stumbles and falls over. how the absolute **** is he virtually on the ground already?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it was a pen, just not enough for VAR to overturn in this “less-precise VAR” world this season. It wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake like a different player number or two footed leg-breaker.

Still doesn’t mean I wasn’t screaming for it. Bloody bias Referee. :rant: :censored:

Exactly - it's very much a case of "umpire's call" now. If the ref had given it, it would have stood. He didn't, so that decision applied, unfortunately for us.

Last season, that would have been over-turned, allowing Maupay the opportunity to blaze over from the spot!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Definite pen but one of those where the way Maupay went down didn’t help him. It looked a dive so I can understand why the ref didn’t give on first look without a replay. And this season VAR won’t overturn that.

If the ref had given it VAR wouldn’t have overturned it either.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
There was contact.
It was a penalty.
It actually annoys me that this thread has turned into a debate.
It was a penalty.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
20211016_192731.jpg

20211016_192033.jpg

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
****ing Brighton Leftie Liberals suggesting it wasn’t a pen even though there was contact that made sure Maupay went down. I can’t see fans of any other club in the country even considering it as no penalty :lolol:

GP is settling into Brighton very well!

Brighton had a penalty appeal denied in the first half when Neal Maupay claimed contact from goalkeeper Tim Krul. "If the referee doesn't give a penalty, it's a tough one for VAR to overrule," Potter added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here