Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why didn't they just sack him?

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
It's his job to clash with Poyet, especially if Poyet was demanding more money. Doing his job doesn't necessarily means he wants Poyet out!

i don't think clash is the right word, it implies confrontation, i don't think you want clashes in a team. You want someone who can handle it more smoothly, and i'm not implying Barber didn't do this. Most likely its just the newspaper using stronger words than necessary

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
To be fair to Barber although it is likely he is in charge and has the final say, no doubt he will be following the legal teams advice so if you want to sack anyone surely it should be the legal team?

A point I was going to make - the only winners here will be the lawyers

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It is rare that one side is totally to blame in a mess like this.

I think Poyet and Barber are as bad as each other. Something has happened between the two of them. both have miscalculated and who suffers? The club and the fans. We are the ones who pay to go every week and can't choose to stop supporting the club who are run by a couple of men who can go back to their big houses and draw big salaries.

I'm bloody fed up with the whole thing and wish that both of them would just piss off and let the club be run by people who have its best interest at heart.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
It's his job to clash with Poyet, especially if Poyet was demanding more money. Doing his job doesn't necessarily means he wants Poyet out!

I agree.
I was just pointing out to Blue Valkyrie who stated "There is nothing on Barber except whispers, nods and winks on NSC." that there was published items in the Argus that Barber clashed with Poyet.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I think Poyet and Barber are as bad as each other. Something has happened between the two of them. both have miscalculated and who suffers? The club and the fans. We are the ones who pay to go every week and can't choose to stop supporting the club who are run by a couple of men who can go back to their big houses and draw big salaries.

I'm bloody fed up with the whole thing and wish that both of them would just piss off and let the club be run by people who have its best interest at heart.

definitely this
but it does make you wonder why Bloom employed Barber if there was ill felling between them at Spurs

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I think the UEFA monitoring periods for each season start on 1st June

Aaah well that's that then. Any money that we have to pay to Gus regarding his current contract will be included in the FFP audit. Therefore any compensation payments will be money that will have to be found from other areas (one of which will be the playing budget.)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But there are reasons which are documented on the internet - and hence discussable on NSC - regarding Poyet, whether you agree with them or not.

There is nothing on Barber except whispers, nods and winks on NSC.

Point taken and agreed. Yours are some of the more reasonable postings on here. It is people who jump to totally unfounded conclusions who really grate.

Aug 23, 2011

I'll do Barbers job, i fancy a career change and i'm tight as anything so wouldn't let anyone spend any money so we'd be fine for FFP :)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Point taken and agreed. Yours are some of the more reasonable postings on here. It is people who jump to totally unfounded conclusions who really grate.

Thanks but I admit I have on occasion got a bit carried away at times myself, and have decided to soften my tone, and indeed keep anything that is not internet verifiable out of any discussion.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Poyet clearly was not on the same hymn book as Barber in terms of budgets etc, we must remember that Barber has been tasked to run the club within certain momentary constraints by Tony Bloom.

On top of this Gus's behaviour has been questionable (language used in interviews etc) observed from the outside. We don't know what has occurred behind closed doors.

Clearly the club feel there are grounds for dismissal and rather than pay him off (as what happens to most managers) the club are following normal practice in disaplinary hearings etc where settlements will be minimal as the club will have proven fairly that there is cause for dismissal.

I'm behind the club, Barber is not the villain he is doing the job he's payed to do by a chairman who has put Brighton back on the map. Gus is just a good manager that sooner or later would have left.

Just think if it was your business would you pay off an employee who has done wrong out of your own money or would you follow the correct protocols.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Poyet clearly was not on the same hymn book as Barber in terms of budgets etc, we must remember that Barber has been tasked to run the club within certain momentary constraints by Tony Bloom.

On top of this Gus's behaviour has been questionable (language used in interviews etc) observed from the outside. We don't know what has occurred behind closed doors.

Clearly the club feel there are grounds for dismissal and rather than pay him off (as what happens to most managers) the club are following normal practice in disaplinary hearings etc where settlements will be minimal as the club will have proven fairly that there is cause for dismissal.

I'm behind the club, Barber is not the villain he is doing the job he's payed to do by a chairman who has put Brighton back on the map. Gus is just a good manager that sooner or later would have left.

Just think if it was your business would you pay off an employee who has done wrong out of your own money or would you follow the correct protocols.

100% this. Barber is doing a tough job and the future of the club could depend on his success. Gus on the other hand refused to do his, (actioning the retained list) and the chairman had to stand in and do it for him.
This alone being reason enough to suspend Gus in my view.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The club appear to have tried to do this legally which is commenable but it appears to have come back and bit them so to speak. Like others I suspect gus will try to delay as much as possible, object to the disciplinary panel, grievance etc knowing that with each day the clubs need to settle grows. The club may have a cast iron case we dont know, but taking the time necessary to prove it is another story. Hindsight then, sack him and deal with the fallout then.

I don't blame Gus for delaying, but I don't imagine him to be some cool scheming guy, I imagine he's pretty shocked and upset by this, perhaps its been driven by allegations opf some sort from some of the playing squad (cf. the Vicente quotes, which would make more sense than the 'not dealing with contracts' thing, as otherwise why would Taricco have been cleared) which would upset him too. Maybe he really wanted to stay next year, and is now feeling pretty gutted about the whole thing.

Aug 23, 2011
I don't blame Gus for delaying, but I don't imagine him to be some cool scheming guy, I imagine he's pretty shocked and upset by this, perhaps its been driven by allegations opf some sort from some of the playing squad (cf. the Vicente quotes, which would make more sense than the 'not dealing with contracts' thing, as otherwise why would Taricco have been cleared) which would upset him too. Maybe he really wanted to stay next year, and is now feeling pretty gutted about the whole thing.

this is what i was thinking too and it could be the same allegations levelled at all 3 of them of which Taricco has been cleared or it could be separate ones or it could be something completely different but i don't think it has much to do with his comments but thats just my opinion

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Aaah well that's that then. Any money that we have to pay to Gus regarding his current contract will be included in the FFP audit. Therefore any compensation payments will be money that will have to be found from other areas (one of which will be the playing budget.)

That's right but it won't be a single payment that falls with a single FFP year - unless agreed as such as part of a settlement deal.

If this goes through the courts for a couple of years, FFP may not exist in it's current form anyway, or we may hopefully be dealing with a Premier League budget at the relevant time.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I understand why people are mentioning the FFP regulations, however I think there is another point that has not been considered.

How would you feel if your employer told you that your job was under threat, and the next week paid off a senior employee with a large payment (potentially larger than the money saved by all of the redundancies combined)?

If the club have a valid case against Gus (and I'm not saying they do), then they have a moral obligation to their other employees to follow it through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here