[Albion] Why did we sell Burn?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree to an extent. But we DID do ourselves a favour to the tune of £13m, which will be reinvested long term - probably in areas that are less well-stocked than centre-back. Sometimes the timing isn't perfect, that's just how it is but - as we're not going down - there's no getting away from the fact it was good business within the bigger picture.

In the current market £13m will get you a 15 year old Championship prospect, a set of steak knives in a velvet presentation box, and a packet of Trebor Mints.

No way we can directly replace BDB for that money with a player who could slot right into a PL defence like he did.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just think this was a bad bad trade.

He was playing really well. Arguable Dunk would’ve got back ahead of him. Would he have been sent off v Man U if Burn had still been here?

For a club as apparently forensic as we are on transfers it was a really strange decision. We have lost the last two games with him not in the team. Newcastle are unbeaten in the last two. I know that’s generalising but I’m really struggling with this - it was obvious he was a great fit in the team structure.

Someone somewhere at the club got this one wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
I think there were probably a number of points they considered in selling BDB: we are probably already safe this season; it was a good fee for a player of his age and ability; we have lots of good young replacement defenders coming through; they didn’t know that Dunk and Webster would be unavailable at the same time. If BDB had played today I’m not sure the result would have been much different.

Halleluiah.... sense at last.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I know that there’s a lot of money in the PL these days, but I can’t get over some people thinking that 13m isn’t a lot of money, particularly for a 29 year old comings into the last year of his contract. I’m fairly sure we don’t make 13m from 23,000 season ticket sales every year.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just think this was a bad bad trade.

He was playing really well. Arguable Dunk would’ve got back ahead of him. Would he have been sent off v Man U if Burn had still been here?

For a club as apparently forensic as we are on transfers it was a really strange decision. We have lost the last two games with him not in the team. Newcastle are unbeaten in the last two. I know that’s generalising but I’m really struggling with this - it was obvious he was a great fit in the team structure.

Someone somewhere at the club got this one wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more, but we all make mistakes. We've made a few bad signings incoming like Ali J, Locadia, and Andone so we're far from perfect in our transfer dealings.

Some you get right, some you get wrong. Personally, to let DB go for a relatively small fee, I would have rather had him for another 18 months than the £13m (less what Wigan get as part of the deal), especially as he was hitting some really good form and arguably was playing as well as any of our defenders.

We take it on the chin and just have to learn from our mistakes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In the current market £13m will get you a 15 year old Championship prospect, a set of steak knives in a velvet presentation box, and a packet of Trebor Mints.

No way we can directly replace BDB for that money with a player who could slot right into a PL defence like he did.

Have faith in the recruitment policy. That 13m would buy 14 Joel Veltmans, 4 Tariq Lampteys and almost Marc Cucurella, who all slotted seamlessly into our defence.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Couldn't agree more, but we all make mistakes. We've made a few bad signings incoming like Ali J, Locadia, and Andone so we're far from perfect in our transfer dealings.

Some you get right, some you get wrong. Personally, to let DB go for a relatively small fee, I would have rather had him for another 18 months than the £13m (less what Wigan get as part of the deal), especially as he was hitting some really good form and arguably was playing as well as any of our defenders.

We take it on the chin and just have to learn from our mistakes.

Easy to say when you're not personally having to cover the losses.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Easy to say when you're not personally having to cover the losses.

If it was that much of an issue we’d have sold Bissouma to Villa. A lot more losses to be covered there….

I’m really not sure £13m less Wigan’s share would make that much of a difference to TB. We’re sitting on £80m plus for Bissouma and Lamptey at least and got £50m for White.

I just think there are times when you shouldn’t find excuses for a poor decision. We all make them…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have faith in the recruitment policy. That 13m would buy 14 Joel Veltmans, 4 Tariq Lampteys and almost Marc Cucurella, who all slotted seamlessly into our defence.

Fair points, but in the current market I still think we got diddled on the fee for this guy. An established, experienced, versatile PL defender playing regularly for us, with a good 4-5 years still on the clock. £13m was utter buttons, particularly when you look at who we were dealing with. Plus the fact a chunk of sell-on went to Wigan.

Like I say, we did favours for him personally and the arabs, but we ended up short-changed, and weakened our team into the bargain for the rest of the season. IMO.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Selling Burn was good and sensible. His value was probably at the highest it ever will be. I doubt Newcastle will get the player we had in the long term or make any profit out of him.

Where can you get a top class premier league ready centre half for 13 million, ? We should of sold for twice that amount , bad decision

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If it was that much of an issue we’d have sold Bissouma to Villa. A lot more losses to be covered there….

I’m really not sure £13m less Wigan’s share would make that much of a difference to TB. We’re sitting on £80m plus for Bissouma and Lamptey at least and got £50m for White.

I just think there are times when you shouldn’t find excuses for a poor decision. We all make them…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bissouma has been an automatic first-choice when fit this season so would be missed a lot more; Burn wasn't a first-choice when Dunk and Webster were fully fit. The 50m in for White (another great fee for us) almost certainly helped fund the transfers we've brought in over the last summer and January windows at a cost of over 60m.

As for saying 13m is nothing to Tony Bloom, it's probably about 1% of his overall wealth. Work out what that is for yourself and I'm sure that it's not what you'd consider an insignificant amount.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We bought Veltman for less than a million.

Which turned out to be an outstanding deal, but at the time, Veltman hadn't got 4 years of PL football under his belt. As we've seen, to our considerable cost, the Eredivisie churns out a LOT more duds than than gems.

When Burn left us for £13m, he was a battle-hardened, proven PL defender who had established himself as a versatile and important member of our team. Nobody is irreplacable, but we would do very well to find someone of his experience and skillset now, for £13m.

The fact the horse-punchers are so delighted with this deal should tell you all you need to know.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Top trumping!

We lose to Burnley and suddenly Burn is a world beater

Absolutely nobody has said that. The discussion is far more nuanced than "we lost to Burnley because Burn has gone". We were shite as a collective on Saturday, and would've probably lost if we'd had VVD at the back. Absolutely nobody posted any more than a 6/10 except perhaps Mac.

But no Burn, Dunk or Webster forced a change of shape, which had a knock-on to the effectiveness of Lamptey and Cucurella going forward, which was apparent throughout the entire game. Collective off-days for the midfield left Welbeck and Maupay starved, so we got Burnleyed. An all-round off day, but not helped by our (suddenly) restricted options.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
'Most important signing' quotes weren't from geordies.

Even less informed then. There is no way Burn was a more important signing than Trippier. International level defender, vastly experienced, a leader and scores goals.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

No way would we have got that money for Dan Burn in the future or from any other club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even less informed then. There is no way Burn was a more important signing than Trippier. International level defender, vastly experienced, a leader and scores goals.

Yes, you were. People who played the game at the top level probably know more than you.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Where can you get a top class premier league ready centre half for 13 million, ? We should of sold for twice that amount , bad decision

I don' think he was quite top class. He became much better while here and arguably even exceeded expectations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports