Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did we not sign a striker in January???

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
No one not Bloom or Barber can have prem league ambitions any more the way the squad has been decimated in last two seasons.

It seems clear that the running costs at the Amex resulted in us not having enough cash to bring in decent players,we must hope that Chris with a couple of loan players will keep us clear of relegation, not an easy task.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not saying that I think we should have signed Jon Stead, but wouldn't a striker - any striker - who scored once every four games be a welcome improvement?

Pity we don't seem to be able to spot opportunities like Reading do - not long ago they got in Jason Roberts for his swan-song, which worked brilliantly for them, and now they've gone and got the Yak. Nothing against Leon Best, and I hope he does well here - but I'd still rather we'd signed the Yak!

We couldn't meet Roberts' wage demands (Reading were in receipt of parachute payments). He only scored six goals for them, reasonable but I wouldn't classify it as brilliant.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No one not Bloom or Barber can have prem league ambitions any more the way the squad has been decimated in last two seasons.

I'd like to hear Barber repeat his quote about us being PLR. Probably hoping it has been swept under the carpet or even denying ever stating it now

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Out of interest why do people assume we will spend big in the summer, I think more bargain basement shopping for us all the eggs are firmly in the academy basket.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't Ulloa signed by David Burke's team?

You tell me. I believe we had been chasing him for more than a year before we landed him, was Burke even here when we first had Ulloa on the radar?

You seem to be a Burke fan, perhaps you can enlighten me as to his other worthwhile signings?

Last edited:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
With relegation a realistic possibility, why oh why have we left ourselves bereft up front?

Even players like Stead at Bradford or the ancient Cureton know how to put the ball in the net, there must have been someone we could have signed permanently or on loan - after all we do have 25K+ at every home game?

I think it's disgraceful!

Because we thought or Hughton thinks that COG/ Baldock/Best Cms would do the business - should have sold Cog to Sheff utd and reinvested that money into a goalscorer

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can we please once and for all put to bed Burkes team signed Ulloa.

No. In fact Burke sacked the scout that found him. Ulloa had been tracked for about 18mts prior to Burkes arrival. So while he may have been at the "signing of the contract" him or his team didnt find him.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We are just not an attractive option for a decent player anymore, the facilities are not going to impress anyone when we are in L1, or near to L1....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We couldn't meet Roberts' wage demands (Reading were in receipt of parachute payments). He only scored six goals for them, reasonable but I wouldn't classify it as brilliant.

If he joined them with 15 or 16 games to go, I would say six goals was a reasonable contribution, especially as he was usually used as a substitute, I think. It got them promoted, didn't it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You tell me. I believe we had been chasing him for more than a year before we landed him, was Burke even here when we first had Ulloa on the radar?

You seem to be a Burke fan, perhaps you can enlighten me as to his other worthwhile signings?

I wouldn't call myself a fan, just don't subscribe to the simplistic blame culture that others are keen on. He signed some good players and some duffers, most are inbetween.

Reasonable ones were

Ulloa
Ward
Stephens
Bennett
Lingard
Bennett
Crofts
Andrews

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you want results you got to pay up...Signing the players we are currently signing will never get us out if this division, unless you count relegation. Our current squad isn't as good as the last squad at Withdean.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can we please once and for all put to bed Burkes team signed Ulloa.

No. In fact Burke sacked the scout that found him. Ulloa had been tracked for about 18mts prior to Burkes arrival. So while he may have been at the "signing of the contract" him or his team didnt find him.

He wasn't 'found' by a scout though. He'd been playing in Spain for five seasons when we signed him. Nearly every club in the PL and Championship will have looked at him during that period, because that's how scouting works these days.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If only we had a couple of strikers on the books who could handle themselves against Prem League defenders and have both scored against, lets say, a team like Arsenal this season. If only. If only.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't Ulloa signed by David Burke's team?

Maybe, but I say Gus was the spotter... once Gus left, our recruitment has been pretty much consistently ****ing awful...

Duffy Debut

Banned
Feb 14, 2015
Nobody available who wanted to come at the right price. For a decent/prospective Prem standard player, he can move around every few years. He will look at Brighton and appreciate the potential, the support and ground etc but as we know the jury is still very much out on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here