Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did they call it American FOOTball?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
when they spend a vast majority of the time holding the ball or throwing it, only occasionally kicking it ala Rugby.....f***ing stupid fat YANKS! :angry:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Americans see the shape of a rugby ball as a football , simples.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Association Football
Australian Rules Football
Gaelic Football
Rugby Football
Rugby Football League
American Foootball
Canadian Football
That weird annual match somewhere in Derbyshire Football.

What is your point?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
alright then you pedantic bunch of sunday evening losers, why do they call a large percentage of games FOOTball when they barely suse their feet to control the ball?!?! why not call it HANDball or something....answer that EINSTEINS!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
alright then you pedantic bunch of sunday evening losers, why do they call a large percentage of games FOOTball when they barely suse their feet to control the ball?!?! why not call it HANDball or something....answer that EINSTEINS!!

Why is football called football when large parts of it is played by use of the head ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

No idea - but the term is ancient and comes from England well before football as we know it now - so stop blaming foreigners!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because all those different types of football evolved from the original game of football, even if the majority of the play now involves hands rather than feet.

I read something somewhere (wikipedia I think), which said that sports had the word football in them as this was used to make the distinction between poor working class sports played on foot and upper class sports played on horseback.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There are perfectly good reasons why it is called football - but why is it still called a 'touchdown'?

It's called FOOTBall as it's based on Rugby FOOTBall although few Americans realise that. They have a 'Touchdown' because in Rugby you actually have to touch the ball down for a Try. Granted, I have pondered just how different the game would be if a ball had to be actually 'Touched Down', you would not get as much passing for a start as many Touchdowns are scored by a player catching the ball when only their feet are inbound. In the NFL both feet have to be inbound where as at the Colegiate level only one foot needs to be inbound.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hand_Egg_Ball.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
f***ing stupid game. I'm guessing it is possible to go your whole career in American football without even touching the ball with foot or hand once? Stopping other people playing seems to be the major raison d'etre for 90% of the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here