Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did the boos happen and/or who was targeted?

What was the booing all about?

• Booing individual player(s)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Booing the team as a whole

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Booing Graham Potter

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Booing out of frustration

Votes: 234 87.6%
  • Something else (please state)

Votes: 17 6.4%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We walked past Unkie Tony on Saturday.
I said to Jnr 'isn't it great that Tony can walk around his stadium on match day in exactly the same way as the rest of the punters, without being accosted by well meaning fans'.

That said, he's watched more of the last two & a third seasons than any of us.
A lot of what's being said really doesn't need to be said to him, and yet here we are.

Yes, I'm sure Saturday was even more frustrating for him than us and I bet he didn't boo. But it still leaves us with:

1) He agrees we need a striker but the budget means only certain targets will be followed up
2) We have no budget for a striker at all because of our Covid losses
3) He's been persuaded by those he's put in charge of such things we can do without

Even a combination of all three.

It won't stop fans asking for a seemingly obvious gap to be filled though, will it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As for Potter's comments, he is defending his players, I would hope that my line manager would do the same if he knew that I had tried my best and was being criticised for it. His comments were very mild, and the whole issue blown out of proportion. That is a part of modern day life where media and social media make a fuss out of trivialities (and I will be the first to admit that I do the same when it suits my purpose).

With the exception of Locadia, I cannot think of a single player who failed to put in a shift on Saturday, if they had been lazy tossers like Chuba Akpom then by all means boo them, Saturday was frustrating result, poor finishing, mainly due to players snatching at chances, and good individual performances.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It won't stop fans asking for a seemingly obvious gap to be filled though, will it?

Perhaps the club have tried to fill it and failed to do so though due to unrealistic transfer fees and wages being asked (Nuno Sanchez), or targetted players going elsewhere for more money (Eduoard) ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
As for constantly beating Tony Bloom around the head for saying he has a long term aim of being in the top ten, I don't get it. What's wrong with being ambitious?

Christ, absolutely nothing. I'm certainly not seeking to beat him up for it. In fact a lot of my posts have been trying to reinforce that there's nothing wrong with that ambition when people seem just happy to be here and play nice football. I would think he's got a little more planned than just that.

But I do agree with the sentiment [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] used on a whatsapp chat - if you promise your kids Disney World and take them to Butlins at Skeggy they're going to have a tantrum at some point (i.e. booing).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But I do agree with the sentiment [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] used on a whatsapp chat - if you promise your kids Disney World and take them to Butlins at Skeggy they're going to have a tantrum at some point

1: Tony never promised us Disneyland, at no point has he alluded to us competing for the top four.
2: We are hardly Butlins at Skeggy ???

come on pathetic comparison.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
if you promise your kids Disney World and take them to Butlins at Skeggy they're going to have a tantrum at some point (i.e. booing).

In the last twelve months we have won and drawn at Anfield, and beaten the Premier League champions Manchester City, hardly Skeggy, I've been there!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
1: Tony never promised us Disneyland, at no point has he alluded to us competing for the top four.
2: We are hardly Butlins at Skeggy ???

come on pathetic comparison.

In the last twelve months we have won and drawn at Anfield, and beaten the Premier League champions Manchester City, hardly Skeggy, I've been there!

Not my analogy originally, so perhaps a bad idea to use it. But I do believe in "under promise and over deliver".

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
... if you promise your kids Disney World and take them to Butlins at Skeggy they're going to have a tantrum at some point (i.e. booing).

Have we been promised Disney? Also, for the most part, we're adults, not kids. That's a poor analogy IMO.

It's more akin to saying to a group of adults, we're hopefully going to Disney in the US if everything goes swimmingly, but it's far from certain. Then the adults booing when that doesn't work out as hoped and went to Disney in Paris instead.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
We now live in a society that buys its way out of a problem, whether it’s a TV that’s not working or a car that we’re fed up with after a couple of years. We are all used to instant fixes.
Even football ‘experts’ like Salford owner Gary Neville or massive clubs like Manchester United, Spurs or Sheffield Wednesday just dispense and replace when their most recent manager or player is no longer performing as they should even though they were happy to provide a lengthy contract.

When you then add in the amount of restrictions our society has lived in for the past 18 months and the fact that further Covid problems are on the horizon you begin to realise that frustration levels are as high as any of us can remember.

Add to this that the IQ of 20% of any football crowd is very low and you have the perfect storm.

Basically we have a small minority of not very bright, entitled and frustrated people in our supporter base who believe the solution can be fixed by going further into debt and breaking the club wage structure.

So I suppose my selection for Bozza’s poll would be ‘Booing out of frustration’ but that would be because of the underlying struggles many are personally experiencing rather than Brighton being in 9th place and having only lost only 3 times out of 13 in the Premier League.

I find it quite sad how people forget how much our Premier League performances have improved over the past three seasons.
Hopefully GP has been able to reflect and recognise that it was only a very small section that were booing.
However, I think he was correct in calling them out and hopefully they might reconsider their actions, but I won’t be expecting much.

p.s. In answer to who they were booing at?
I think it was the world. A world in which they currently can't have what they want instantly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, I'm sure Saturday was even more frustrating for him than us and I bet he didn't boo. But it still leaves us with:

1) He agrees we need a striker but the budget means only certain targets will be followed up
2) We have no budget for a striker at all because of our Covid losses
3) He's been persuaded by those he's put in charge of such things we can do without

Even a combination of all three.

There has been the budget but a large amount of that seems to be spent on future preparation.
Which is fine, if you know what the future holds.
As it is the recent past has been formed by a solid defence and 3 other teams cracking under the pressure of relegation, covering over the Albion's lack of goals.

It's disingenuous to blame COVID as you're basically inferring the striker situation wasn't a problem beforehand.

Perhaps the club have tried to fill it and failed to do so though due to unrealistic transfer fees and wages being asked (Nuno Sanchez), or targetted players going elsewhere for more money (Eduoard) ?

How many times do we have to hear this (from Babs not you).
Every single window we get talk of a marquee striker signing.

They are 22 years old.
They have scored a pooh load in a soon to be relegated team.
Or a pooh load in a soon to be promoted team.

Then the window slams shut and if the manager is lucky he has Tuba to fall back on, with a load of namby-pamby excuses ringing in his ears.

'The market isn't representative'.
'There's a financial bubble'.
'Hyper inflation'.

At some point, by now, someone must have worked out STRIKERS ARE EXPENSIVE.

This really shouldn't still be happening.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Add to this that the IQ of 20% of any football crowd is very low and you have the perfect storm.

I think that's one of the most insulting things I've ever read on here. What do you suggest? Ensuring the phone that the ticket is on has at least one brain training game that's got past level 20 before admission?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I certainly heard it from WSM 1901 (borrowing someone else's seats), and it was louder than I expected it to be.

But given where our seats were, right at the back of the tier, I don't think it was coming from the WSU as we were kinda underneath a lip below the WSU. We could neither see nor hear it throughout the game. I also didn't think it came from 1901 itself.

All the journalists and media types in the West clearly heard it as well.

I was sat about 3 rows back from the press box above the tunnel and didn't hear any booing. I did retire to the lounge to defrost as soon as the final whistle went though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Dear god that result against 10 man Man City who had already won the league and were 90 minutes away from the Champions League Final has done a mightily impressive amount of heavy lifting in the 6 months since.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Dear god that result against 10 man Man City who had already won the league and were 90 minutes away from the Champions League Final has done a mightily impressive amount of heavy lifting in the 6 months since.

Ah sorry, didn’t realise we have been shite since then.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think that's one of the most insulting things I've ever read on here. What do you suggest? Ensuring the phone that the ticket is on has at least one brain training game that's got past level 20 before admission?

A better understanding of budgeting and expenditure with a minimum of a first class degree in economics would be helpful.
Plus ban anyone who buys the Sun or believes all that they read on social media.

Let's face it, anyone who was booing on Saturday has to be pretty thick with a lack of understanding of the bigger picture.
It was just a case of too many of the opinionated blokes down the pub who irritate everyone being in the same place at the same time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah sorry, didn’t realise we have been shite since then.

Well....

It's not that though, as well you know.

It was a nothing game to them.
The only reason it was a game for us is because we were there.

The only reason we won was because BDB completely flummoxed a billion pounds worth of talent by pretending to be a giraffe on an ice rink.
The poor Citeh players had NEVER seen such a thing before.

That's it at any other point in the season we'd have played nicely and handed over 3 points, as we should because the Albion aren't in their league.

Yes the Liverpool game was tremendous, a game that should be highlighted.
But how was all that hope and expectation after a brilliant performance backed up?

3 games
2 points
1 goal.

and a regression to the norm that has plagued GPott's reign, when it comes to playing a team who should be beaten

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here