Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did our team selection and tactics not reflect the fact we had to WIN the match?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Herein lies the problem.

Oscar wants to play the Barca way, which is lovely to watch but can only be done with players of a certain level, which is above what we currently have, Orlandi excepted on his day.

If Bayern can't play the Barca way. Let's be realistic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jesus Christ it's short term memory moron o'clock.

Slate JFC for being pi$$ poor.
Insist on playing Ince.
Then demand attacking football with the most defensive line up we have.

What did you actually think would happen?

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Herein lies the problem.

Oscar wants to play the Barca way, which is lovely to watch but can only be done with players of a certain level, which is above what we currently have, Orlandi excepted on his day.

This is exactly what I've been saying all season! We don't have the quality of players to play the way Garcia wants.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Well it's always sensible to go gung ho all out attack against a poor side like Derby. I mean I can't imagine there was any chance they would have maybe had the match sewn up in about 10 mins

Not saying go 'gung ho', just have a bit of a go. We were losing and needed to turn the tie round. We posed no threat, and did NOTHING.

I know what people mean by saying we were probably trying to prevent them from scoring early on so we could then attack them later in the match, but that was the wrong approach IMHO. The way we lined up and started it was as if it was us who had a lead to defend!

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
Hmmmm, I think oscar set out his team today just like he has done for every other game this season, he has a way and he likes to stick with it, calm, build up, possession, dominate, we get frustrated when he doesn't try a bit more attacking style, but he wants to stick with his approach.......I often wonder, is there a difference between head coach and manager....

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Well it's always sensible to go gung ho all out attack against a poor side like Derby. I mean I can't imagine there was any chance they would have maybe had the match sewn up in about 10 mins

that comment is wasted on here!!!but correct ,to many experts again that havent a scooby,or watched how derby have played at home all season

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The sycophants who no doubt would have given Mickey Adams another few games to turn things around will no doubt disagree, but our tactics were woeful today, and have been many times this season.

Hands tied by injuries, fair enough. Not starting CMS and LuaLua? Odd. Not bringing CMS and LuaLua on at half time? Mental.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't understand why the subs weren't made at half-time. Why wait when we're two goals down?

It's not unusual to do this. You want to give a team talk and not have to worry about instructions to subs. You also are aware subs are not warmed up if they are sat in the dressing room at half time. So it is completely understandable to have the subs in the changing room at HT to listen to all the instructions, then get them warmed up for 5/10mins after the restart ready to send them on.

You realise both the subs were stripped off ready to come on prior to their 2nd being scored?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Unforgivable.

How would the game have turned out if we'd started with CMS and Lualua and tried to actually ATTACK?

I have to say, a more attack-minded starting line up would probably have helped a lot.

Why have Kemy on the bench, play him or drop him completely as usual.

Spanish Dave could have played up in the centre of an attacking midfield.

CMS could have started.

I could go on, but at the end of the day, we really should have approached the game the same way we did on Thursday.

They wouldn't have beaten us if we had.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The sycophants who no doubt would have given Mickey Adams another few games to turn things around will no doubt disagree, but our tactics were woeful today, and have been many times this season.

Hands tied by injuries, fair enough. Not starting CMS and LuaLua? Odd. Not bringing CMS and LuaLua on at half time? Mental.

It was odd not starting a centre forward who has had over a year out of the game with injury, and who has played about 10mins of a full competitive game!?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have to say, a more attack-minded starting line up would probably have helped a lot.

Why have Kemy on the bench, play him or drop him completely as usual.

Spanish Dave could have played up in the centre of an attacking midfield.

CMS could have started.

I could go on, but at the end of the day, we really should have approached the game the same way we did on Thursday.

They wouldn't have beaten us if we had.

I think we did approach the game exactly as we did Thursday, and tactically tried to repeat it. Got to say, sometimes players just don't perform. I really don't think we set up any different, we just didn't get going. Losing Upson pre match was no doubt a blow, losing Greer during the game was a hammer blow. Not excuses, but they certainly didn't help a side already struggling to find any fluidity in the game.

I think sometimes people forget the manager doesn't actually kick the ball during a game of football.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think sometimes people forget the manager doesn't actually kick the ball during a game of football.

No, but he does select the team and decide on the tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here