Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why couldn't Brighton help out sparrow like city did for Bridge

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Getting himself sent off twice in quick succession won't have helped endear him to Gus.

Scoring two goals against Southampton from midfield. More than all our midfielders have scored all this season.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I keep seeing this mentioned, but has anyone got any facts to back this harsh treatment up? For whatever reason, Gus has invested in more midfielders who, he believes, can do a job that Sparrow can't. But isn't that part and parcel of what happens at a lot of football clubs, to countless players every season after a transfer window?

Maybe he didn't help himself with the sendings off, but who knows anything about his attitude? Did he react badly to being used to a lesser extent after the sendings off last season? Does he think he has a God-given right to be part of the first team squad because he was there before the likes of Orlandi, Hammond, Crofts and Spanish Dave? We just don't know.

It's possible that he HAS been treated unfairly, but I still maintain we haven't seen the last of him in an Albion shirt. His situation might be a bit more extreme than this, but look at Brez' situation last week. One minute nowhere near the squad, the next on the bench, and then very quickly back in the starting line-up. And how many people were saying that Hoskins either a) wouldn't play for us again, or b) would be shipped out during the loan window. Again, people's perceptions of what goes on may be far from the truth...

Spaz on the bench tomorrow, you heard it here first.

I agree with most of that. No evidence that Sparrow has been badly treated. However the reason we won't see him again is that we have LOADS of midfielders infront of him. Orlandi, Bridcutt, Hammond, Crofts, Buckley, LuaLua and probably Harley, Barnes and Dobbie. Berz only has 2 people in front of him and Hoskins only really 3 I would have thought. Still I hope Matt Sparrow does get a club as Gus says he seems like a great pro.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I can't remember what he said exactly but didn't Gus a few months ago alude to the suggestion that Sparrow and Vincelot were no longer part of his plans and that they won't get another chance in the first team squad? That's the only reason I think we should have let the guy go, even if it's on the cheap, just to let him get on with his career, he's not getting any younger and so I would have preferred to see him at a club where he is in contention for playing each week.

If this is wrong and Gus does consider him an active part of the squad then it's fair enough that we keep him until we get an acceptable offer, I've just been under the impression he won't ever be part of the squad again

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I can't remember what he said exactly but didn't Gus a few months ago alude to the suggestion that Sparrow and Vincelot were no longer part of his plans and that they won't get another chance in the first team squad? That's the only reason I think we should have let the guy go, even if it's on the cheap, just to let him get on with his career, he's not getting any younger and so I would have preferred to see him at a club where he is in contention for playing each week.

If this is wrong and Gus does consider him an active part of the squad then it's fair enough that we keep him until we get an acceptable offer, I've just been under the impression he won't ever be part of the squad again

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Scoring two goals against Southampton from midfield. More than all our midfielders have scored all this season.

Ignoring the eight or so that Buckley and Barnes, have scores from midfield, then?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

In any other line of work, after the comments Gus made about him, and stripping him of a squad number, Sparrow could have walk out and sued for wrongful dismissal. He's a professional footballer, and been told there is no chance he will play for us again. Poor show IMO that the club didn't do the honourable thing, and pay up his contract and let him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here