Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why couldn't Brighton help out sparrow like city did for Bridge

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That thought crossed my mind,still if you can get away with daylight robbery,does not follow suite you have to allow it to happen to you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we were prepared to, but they wanted too much to make the deal work.

It's simple

What Scunthorpe will pay +
What Albion will pay +
What Sparrow is prepared to drop in wages

must equal Sparrow's current pay.

I'm sure we did offer something, it's just together all 3 parties couldn't make it work.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We don't have Man City's money to throw away !

But surely us paying full wages for someone we don't have any intention of using, is worse than having another club contribute (even if only a small amount) towards it and Sparrow dropping his wage slightly (he's obviously desperate to get away and play again) isn't it?

Completely made up figures but if we're paying him £10k a week at the moment and he's willing to drop to £7k a week with Scunthorpe paying £2k of that - then surely the extra £5k a week saved by us is worth doing?

Or am I missing something?!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Scunthorpe can't afford the wages I feel we could of helped out a bit .

have :rant:

As said above, we are a slightly different club to Man City in terms of finance and probably couldn't reach a deal.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If Scunny were not able to make any wage contribution as has been hinted then it is no surprise. Thinking ahead, what chance would he have of a contract with them next season if they cant pay? Maybe better to stay here and be helped to get a new deal somewhere than be left high and dry in the summer. That said any player needs games so the only loser is Spaz it seems. For certain he wanted to go according to his twitter comments. Maybe if a deal can be done we will release him from his contract with a pay off so he can go as a free agent?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But surely us paying full wages for someone we don't have any intention of using, is worse than having another club contribute (even if only a small amount) towards it and Sparrow dropping his wage slightly (he's obviously desperate to get away and play again) isn't it?

Completely made up figures but if we're paying him £10k a week at the moment and he's willing to drop to £7k a week with Scunthorpe paying £2k of that - then surely the extra £5k a week saved by us is worth doing?

What you are missing is that he could get injured in the loan in which case we are stuck with the full wages for the rest of the contract, unable to let him go permanently in January. The deal clearly wasn't worth it for us to take the risk.

Now if we didn't pay so large a percent, or it is closer to contract end, then the figures work better.

I expect him to be allowed to go to Scunthorpe in the next window.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
What it all boils down to is the fact that Sparrow has been rather harshly treated. He doesn't deserve to be rotting away in limbo.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Exactly this ! so the question is how desperate is he to play ?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
What it all boils down to is the fact that Sparrow has been rather harshly treated. He doesn't deserve to be rotting away in limbo.

A bit hard on the club I feel. If Sparrow desperately wants away and wants to be at Scunthorpe he could take a cut in wages, perhaps to the level that the market is prepared to offer for his services ie what is on offer from Scunthorpe. It is his choice not to do so. In any job you have to perform or else your job is under threat. Nobody gets paid more than they are worth unless you are a footballer. Why should they be different?

Don't get me wrong, nothing personal towards MS who I wish the very best for the future as I would any Albion player out of favour, but let's have a reality check.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
What you are missing is that he could get injured in the loan in which case we are stuck with the full wages for the rest of the contract, unable to let him go permanently in January. The deal clearly wasn't worth it for us to take the risk.

Now if we didn't pay so large a percent, or it is closer to contract end, then the figures work better.

I expect him to be allowed to go to Scunthorpe in the next window.

But he could also get injured in training with us, I can't imagine we'd base the decision on whether a deal can be struck based on what would happen if he gets injured or not. I think you are probably right that perhaps we are waiting for something slightly better though and he will go in January, which isn't actually too far away

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Scunny have a shoestring budget , they may have been trying to take Spaz on loan for £300 a week as begging for a favour.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I keep seeing this mentioned, but has anyone got any facts to back this harsh treatment up? For whatever reason, Gus has invested in more midfielders who, he believes, can do a job that Sparrow can't. But isn't that part and parcel of what happens at a lot of football clubs, to countless players every season after a transfer window?

Maybe he didn't help himself with the sendings off, but who knows anything about his attitude? Did he react badly to being used to a lesser extent after the sendings off last season? Does he think he has a God-given right to be part of the first team squad because he was there before the likes of Orlandi, Hammond, Crofts and Spanish Dave? We just don't know.

It's possible that he HAS been treated unfairly, but I still maintain we haven't seen the last of him in an Albion shirt. His situation might be a bit more extreme than this, but look at Brez' situation last week. One minute nowhere near the squad, the next on the bench, and then very quickly back in the starting line-up. And how many people were saying that Hoskins either a) wouldn't play for us again, or b) would be shipped out during the loan window. Again, people's perceptions of what goes on may be far from the truth...

Spaz on the bench tomorrow, you heard it here first.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting himself sent off twice in quick succession won't have helped endear him to Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here