Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "why can't we sign tried and tested Premier League footballers"

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Until our particular version of Moneyball kicks in, major progress is going to be difficult. We can only hope to start making incremental gains once we can develop and initially at least sell players for high fees to finance the next generation of signings. Even if TB wanted to he is constrained by the PL FFP rules from spending too much of his own money.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
From Villa's point of view, he was excellent for them last year and credited by many of their fans as being a difference maker. Absolutely no doubt they were going to sign him, but the price is quite an eye opener, that's for sure!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
One issue that is different is that of player sales. The other clubs in the list have had substantial sales in recent years, unlike the Albion, and these can be used to contribute towards other player costs such as wages.

This was going to be my point. Watford made over £28m profit on Richarlison, for example.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Until our particular version of Moneyball kicks in, major progress is going to be difficult. We can only hope to start making incremental gains once we can develop and initially at least sell players for high fees to finance the next generation of signings. Even if TB wanted to he is constrained by the PL FFP rules from spending too much of his own money.
I'm sure I read that the PL has just abandoned it's version of FFP. Maybe I misread it, though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1147826809867833344[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's not a lot of difference between the Albion and Watford, and I'd expect that gap to narrow in 2018/19.

View attachment 112517

One issue that is different is that of player sales. The other clubs in the list have had substantial sales in recent years, unlike the Albion, and these can be used to contribute towards other player costs such as wages.

According to the usual websites (their guesstimate is no worse than anyone else’s), Watford pay £70k a week to Doucoure and £60k to Deulofeu, plus bonuses. Both brilliant match winners, who would improve most PL teams.

Perhaps paying that clear increment above TB’s ceiling, gets a club near guaranteed successes? (Unless ripped off by savvy selling clubs and agents ..... Steve Parish :lol:).

I’m not criticising TB. Only an idiot would deem his tight fisted when it comes to the Albion.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I don't think anyone has been arguing for us to sign tried and tested Premier League players who are still their prime have they?

People asking why can't we buy a prove PL player seems a pretty regular thing on NSC! Completely agree with the rest of you post by the way.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There's not a lot of difference between the Albion and Watford, and I'd expect that gap to narrow in 2018/19.

View attachment 112517

What on earth do you spend £100k plus a week on?

There is a limit to the number of Ferraris, Aston Martins, whatever, anyone can want.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think what people have been suggesting is to take a punt on Championship players rather than players from the Dutch/Belgian leagues, as the style of football (and probably even the jump in standard) is closer, and perhaps some squad signings along the lines of Sidwell/Zamora (e.g. players who can do a job and have the experience, but are perhaps on their way out of other clubs).

Well aside from the foreign legion who have course dominated in last 2 seasons, our first team squad still relies on (very good) players bought from Blackburn, Charlton, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Wigan (x2), Fulham, Celtic and Sunderland. And several from the academy.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Too low profile and not willing to spend the going rate. Probably an unpopular opinion but it's like we can't or don't want to compete and are quite happy doing things our way

A player who has had 1 full season (35 games after just 7 games before that) has just sold for £50m to Man U. He's the sixth-most expensive defender of all time and the most expensive English player who was uncapped at the time of transfer

If players are going for that sort of money when relatively unproven, is it any wonder we'd look abroad for better value for money and on players with better first team experience :shrug:

Besides, we've just slapped a £40m fee on Dunk, a defender who played for a team that finished 17th in the league last season, so who are we realistically overlooking as players we can in get at a reasonable price, that other clubs will be willing to let go without asking a stupid fee for first, and will be willing to join us rather than stay where they are, or are we supposed to be going for players who have since dropped down the leagues, previous flops, or fringe players at other PL clubs, like Mings for £20m+? - why would not buying these sorts of players mean we don't want to compete in this league?

Surely by going elsewhere where prices are more reasonable, surely we are looking to give ourselves a better chance of competing as we are able to bring in more recruits than blowing our cash on a couple of 'pl experienced' players (does 2 seasons in the PL qualify the majority of our squad as pl experienced players yet?)

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?
It must come from the top, TB is determined not to pay the wages proven PL players demand.

Burnley and Brighton (excluding one season PL clubs) are the only two clubs with a ceiling of about £50k a week.

Watford, Palace, Bmuff, Newcastle and Stains pay their better players far more than Brighton/Burnley .... don’t quite know how they manage that, when all 7 clubs have not dissimilar income?

Do you have that wage ceiling as fact? It’s my understanding that we already have a couple of players who are £60k+ a week. However to make the next step up, so the wages go up too. Who might be our first £100k a week player?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The club can lose £105m over three years...and made a profit of £12m in 2018. Having said that Sir Tone has underwritten more than enough losses whilst in the Championship so should not be expected to repeat the generosity in the future.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The Premier League is the exception to the rule that you get what you pay for.

Blimey - do you count Locadia in that equation. If £14m buys you 2 league goals in 26 league appearances, then we're going to have to break the bank to get a half decent striker this summer!

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
What on earth do you spend £100k plus a week on?

There is a limit to the number of Ferraris, Aston Martins, whatever, anyone can want.

Irrelevant!! If you're doing your job for £35k a year and someone offers to put a 0 on the end of that for you, you're not going to say "no thanks, I can survive on £50k - just pay me that."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He isn't tried and tested at PL level.

Far from it.

We are overjoyed at flogging a fringe player for such a daft fee. I think it rises to £26.5 million.....happy days.
[MENTION=38224]Cirina[/MENTION], oh, put a plaster on it FFS :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here