Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why aren't we second in group b

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Simple question.
Superior goal difference to Athens.
They beat us but the rules seem to state that goal difference trumps that .

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Simple question.
Superior goal difference to Athens.
They beat us but the rules seem to state that goal difference trumps that .
This confuses me too

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If we’re tied with Athen then the goal difference from our match with them decides it.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Some random 'Head to Head' rule. I gave up trying to work it out as I've consumed to much rubbish Fosters that seems to be the only lager in WSU! :lolol:

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Head to head comes first (before goal difference).

As they beat us 3-2, they are above us in the standings.
I googled the rules and it said points first then goal difference. I know google is unreliable but this is an odd new rule .. especially if three teams finish on the same points

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I googled the rules and it said points first then goal difference. I know google is unreliable but this is an odd new rule .. especially if three teams finish on the same points
Screenshot 2023-10-27 00.07.53.png

If teams are tied, then they are separated by points in head-to-head matches - we lost to AEK Athens so they took three points from us, and we have none from them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s so simple - head to head comes first - is everyone pissed?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It’s so simple - head to head comes first - is everyone pissed?
I've admitted that I maybe slightly inebriated & blamed it on the Fosters which isn't true as the other bars on route sell different beers. But I have no idea what this 'Head to Head' rule is. If you explain it as if I'm 5 years old now, I'll read it tomorrow & I may understand it! :D

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It's not an "odd new rule" at all.

Head to head has been the standard way to do it for years now.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I asked this question when I saw the table… The peculiarities of the Euafa system are baffling but this could be crucial at the end of the group phase . In my ignorance I. Had assumed that normal goal difference would settle it..
I guess we had better get more points the third team, then.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
View attachment 168729
If teams are tied, then they are separated by points in head-to-head matches - we lost to AEK Athens so they took three points from us, and we have none from them.
Thanks. I wondered where the info had come from 'officially', as it says this on wikipedia - but some other sites say 'goal difference' - and there is nothing on the official UEFA Europa League webpage!

But your extract quotes the official UEFA documentatio here https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regula...cle-16-Equality-of-points-group-phases-Online

Sorted.

edit - if everything is equal between us and Marseille - it's penalties at the end of the game.

If two teams that have the same number of points and have scored and conceded the same number of goals play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, their final rankings are determined by kicks from the penalty mark (see Paragraph 19.03), provided that no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of the last match in the group. Should more than two teams have the same number of points, the criteria listed under Paragraph 16.01 apply. This procedure is only necessary if a ranking of the teams is required to determine the team which qualifies for the next stage.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
SofaScore says goal difference is used during the group stage but the final positions are determined by head to head once everyone has played each other twice so has us second at the moment but the Europa league app has us third.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Head to head makes sense in a small group. Otherwise you potentially get an unfair advantage by whipping the weakest team in the group potentially in a game when they have nothing to play for. I have no issue with it.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
SofaScore says goal difference is used during the group stage but the final positions are determined by head to head once everyone has played each other twice.
And of course, if 3 (or more) teams are tied, it is goal difference first to decide places, then goals scored, etc.
As it's very tight at the moment, it could get interesting later on, but the solution to that is to win our last three games and qualify as group leaders.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I asked this question when I saw the table… The peculiarities of the Euafa system are baffling but this could be crucial at the end of the group phase . In my ignorance I. Had assumed that normal goal difference would settle it..
I guess we had better get more points the third team, then.
I think most of us only found out last night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here