Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are we all (mostly) so negative?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I tend to see it quite positively, Brighton were decent last night, especially the first 30 mins., Derby were always likely to gain a bit more possession at some stage in the first half its inevitable.

The defining incident must be Upson's quite reckless challenge, it changed the whole dynamic of the game, but still Brighton dominated the latter part of the game, a mix of Derby sitting back and Brighton pushing for the equaliser, whatever the reason Brighton were NOT 'turned over'.

I guess we must accept a win or draw would of been preferable, but I think the score gives Derby a real dilemna for Sunday, do they 'stick or bust'.

They are unlikely to come out all guns blazing offering perhaps some opportunity to Brighton to crank up some pressure, who knows.

Personally I think all is to play for, 2-1 loss not really effecting our chances of success, looking forward positively to Sunday :)

They will do the same as last night, park the bus and try and hit us on the break. This is exactly what they did when we played them at theirs in the league game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As a club we are clearly going forwards in every aspect. I was delighted we reached the play offs because I felt it was important that we continued to show we are at that level and haven't gone backwards on the playing side.

It's just a matter of time before we reach the Premiership. If it doesn't happen this season I won't be anywhere near as miffed as last. We are holding our own, bringing some good young players through and going into the Premiership with another season or two under their belts may not be such a bad thing.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I said before last night that unless it was a huge win one way or the other that Sunday would be the key game. Well... it will be. We played some great football last night, didn't get any good luck of our own and remain well within sight of victory across two legs. Is the first goal on Sunday crucial? No. Look at last night to see how crucial the first goal was, and might be again. All to play for. Heads held high.

Team - Pride - Blitz.

Oh hang on, wrong team. :eek:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Have been positive about the team and Oscar all season long, absolutely back him as the manager (head coach), to take us on to the next level. Was just disappointed in the lack of quality in the final third last night. No qualms about effort or desire or anything like that. Just so many misplaced passes that should have been simple, mucking up numerous corners by playing a couple of short passes and then giving it away cheaply, over hitting crosses straight over everyone's heads and out for goal kicks etc.

I don't think anyone is particularly happy that we lost the game, but i think it's more the dullards who call for the managers head when we lose a game we're not expected to win. It's the drama-queen overreacting that people hate.

Well, the problem for me more often than not on here is that when the super-loyalists overreact to the extreme negativity mob, suddenly any criticism of Oscar and how we play becomes "being negative" rather than actually trying to say some explanatory things about why we lost

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
They will do the same as last night, park the bus and try and hit us on the break. This is exactly what they did when we played them at theirs in the league game.

Well that offers opportunity, of course it might all click into place for them and their first counter they score, but it might work for us too, who knows, but we are not in a particularly worse place than we were prior to the last nights game, its up for grabs.

First 30 minutes was pretty much the best I've seen us play this season.

Yes a great start but I'd say 20mins - as soon as Derby went on the attack, we looked very vulnerable - I'd say that was the most disappointing aspect of the evening - we should have been keeping hold of the ball and blunting their attacks at that point, but our failure to exert control of the game at the right periods cost us.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
I'm not negative (if anything I am over optimistic) but quite a few people who sit near me are and they are very vocal. It really hacks me off. They should have their own section to sit in.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I think our bad luck on the pitch + the chaos with trains before the game + the catering shambles in the stadium + the idiots that work behind these counters = why I feel less than cartwheely this morning

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well that offers opportunity, of course it might all click into place for them and their first counter they score, but it might work for us too, who knows, but we are not in a particularly worse place than we were prior to the last nights game, its up for grabs.

Yep, I would rather go into the game as us playing football than the one trick park the bus and counter attack strategy. At least we know how they will play.

IlsonDerby

May 5, 2014

Behave! It was Your lot who came and stuck 10 men behind the ball when we played you at our place. Honestly one of the most defensive displays I've ever seen. We were camped in your half that game.

We went with a game plan last night to not come back to the Ipro with a deficit and it worked. It's probably the most uninspiring performance I've seen from us all season but it is very much an anomaly as to how we usually play.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
30 years of almost everything that can go wrong, going wrong, from the loss of the Goldstone to poo-gate.

Not that nothing good has happened, but it's been swings-and-roundabouts.
Each promotion balanced with a relegation -- 1999 through 2006 was like being strapped to a ping-pong ball.
Half the team's most memorable games involve avoiding the drop, or going out of the league entirely. How many Great Escapes -- and I don't mean the festival -- can you remember?
Having the new stadium approved... only to have it un-approved, and needing to be approved again.
Acquiring a working knowledge of orthopaedic surgery just from reading the sports section of the Argus.

It's been a bumpy ride. And one guaranteed to make a constitutional pessimist out of the most sunny sorts.

Last edited:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I'm reasonably optimistic about Sunday. It's going to my last away game for quite some time I imagine, and for that reason I'm desperately hoping for a special moment to cause mass stranger hugging.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes a great start but I'd say 20mins - as soon as Derby went on the attack, we looked very vulnerable - I'd say that was the most disappointing aspect of the evening - we should have been keeping hold of the ball and blunting their attacks at that point, but our failure to exert control of the game at the right periods cost us.

I can see that, they only managed to break when we literally gave the ball to them when we were in good positions, and committed players forward. Can only put that down to individual errors, some players more often than others, and in that respect we put ourselves on the back foot many times last night. We were the masters of our own vulnerability at times and if we can cut out these errors we should be fine.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Behave! It was Your lot who came and stuck 10 men behind the ball when we played you at our place. Honestly one of the most defensive displays I've ever seen. We were camped in your half that game.

We went with a game plan last night to not come back to the Ipro with a deficit and it worked. It's probably the most uninspiring performance I've seen from us all season but it is very much an anomaly as to how we usually play.

I remember that game differently to you then and certainly weren't camped in our half, we were camped in yours.

derby.jpg

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In truth I have been pleasantly surprised how positive many were both last night leaving the ground and today on social media.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know I tend to look on the bright side, but I'm not that disappointed about last night.
You should be.
I thought we played some of our best football of the season, despite lacking Stephens/Crofts who would have added hugely to the key area of centre-midfield. Derby are an excellent side, managed by someone who really knows his stuff, and it was no shame at all to lose
Indeed it was no shame, but we're not early season, where the way you play is as important as the result - we're in the semi final of the a huge cup, and the result is the only thing that matters at this stage.

We didn't expect to win the playoffs, but we had a chance.

Much to look forward to!
Of course. But yesterday's result was a bitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here