Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are the trains so F******** W*nk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But surely running via the station with more services is better than going via a tiny station with 1 train which if cancelled, further delays you.

Yup, train travel in this country is so unreliable that your best bet is always to leave early and go via the route that is slinging the most trains down the line. That way, you're far more likely to catch one, albeit one that will often be leaving at a time that bears little relation to the advertised time. Pathetic really. It's been like that forever, and will never change.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Next time get up earlier and have a coffee on arrival.
Don't rely on others to determine your own destiny

REALLY? Should we all get to the station hours before our train is due? TWO trains were cancelled, so he was clearly there in ample time.
I think I'll arrive at Brighton Station at 5.30 tomorrow, just to make sure I'm in London for 9.30.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yup, train travel in this country is so unreliable that your best bet is always to leave early and go via the route that is slinging the most trains down the line. That way, you're far more likely to catch one, albeit one that will often be leaving at a time that bears little relation to the advertised time. Pathetic really. It's been like that forever, and will never change.

Pretty much. One of the effects of running lots of trains on an ageing network which badly needs upgrading, unfortunately 95% of the countries railways are in the same state.

Of course the government dont care though, as long as they get passengers paying more whilst they pay less - they are happy.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wouldn't happen in Germany.

When I was in Germany recently there were lines closed on the S-Bahn on the Sunday we arrived in Berlin, meaning we had to go the long way round and both my train to Hamburg and my train to Lubeck from Hamburg were late by more than 10 minutes.

I know you were just being facetious and you always post that on train related threads but thought it was worth being a pedant in return.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
REALLY? Should we all get to the station hours before our train is due? TWO trains were cancelled, so he was clearly there in ample time.
I think I'll arrive at Brighton Station at 5.30 tomorrow, just to make sure I'm in London for 9.30.

I would suggest getting to Brighton a little earlier

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well I got to Wivelsfield for the 9:11 to Eastbourne via Lewes which they told me was running late but due to arrive at 9:17.

I bought a ticket to Eastbourne but at 9:20 odd they put up cancelled against the train on the indicator board.

At 9:25 the train to Eastbourne passed through the station but did not stop.

The powers that be clearly decided to cancel the stop as the train was late.

The next direct train was 10:11 but the indicator board said it was running 7 minutes late.

The Brighton trains were all being delay.

I walked home and drove down.

I will be complaining and seeking a refund.

This was no 'service'. The rail company made a decision to withdraw their service to me.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Next time get up earlier and have a coffee on arrival.
Don't rely on others to determine your own destiny
So you'd advise against anything other than walking as a method of travel then?

After all, it's the only way you can truly control your journey without any interference from outside sources, ensuring that your 'destiny' (though I think destination would have been a more pertinent word considering the conversation) is your own.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I was in Germany recently there were lines closed on the S-Bahn on the Sunday we arrived in Berlin, meaning we had to go the long way round and both my train to Hamburg and my train to Lubeck from Hamburg were late by more than 10 minutes.

I know you were just being facetious and you always post that on train related threads but thought it was worth being a pedant in return.

Correct. They're building a totally new u-bahn line, s-bahn spur out to the ring and extending the m10 tram to Hauptbahnhof. This is a pretty serious piece of upgrading right in the city centre and there are occasional days when they have to suspend the service. I think delays for these reasons are a bit different to delays due to the rank incompetence of UK operators.

As an aside you should check out the new s-bahn spur; it's an amazing piece of engineering being build below ground above a canal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here