Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why are England so shite....???

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Excellent post. Sometimes I think 99% of all football fans are total morons. All I've seen since last night, whatever site you go on, is comments like "we were effing sh*te", etc etc. No, we weren't. We really weren't. We played well in spells and probably deserved a draw. We were better against Italy and pretty unfortunate not to get a result. With a bit of luck, the outcome of both matches could have been very different. It's a young side with an inexperienced defence - and, as you say, we were drawn in one of the toughest groups in the tournament. At the end of the day (Brian), we haven't been quite good enough and the performances have fallen a little bit short. But to suggest we were abysmal or have somehow been 'humiliated' is utter nonsense.

It's a young side with an experienced defence. That's what's annoying. School boy errors at the back for me.

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
The absolute need to dissect everything, blame someone, and the throw away comments about "no passion" are the reasons...the reaction to disappointment across our fans and media simply drive fear across the team...we become so scared of losing, of making a mistake, and consequently struggle to cope..We have no reason at all to be so vindictive in our blood letting...we have for years said "throw in the youngsters", go to a tournament and give them experience without worrying about the result so that they are better prepared when they are at the peaks...we have done that, looked promising at times, but our weakest point was always our defence..and against really tough teams, the likes of which you might not expect to face until last 16 we have just been edged out...nothing more complicated than that.
We came close in both games against 2 sides...that experience will be lost because of our insistence on blaming someone...lets just be disappointed because we wanted to win, not so desperate that we let disappointment drive the knife so far into players who we then expect to be confident next time around...human nature doesn;t work that way. It is OK to not be quite good enough..dont lets resort to purile, ill-thought through comments like "no passion" "didn;t want it" blah blah...

Suberbly put! Excellent post!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
so the player with the assist Johnson and the goal Rooney were the problem?
Italy and Uruguay are ranked in the worlds top ten from the moment the draw was made
any football fan knew it was going to be difficult to get out of the group
we certainly had a go
in football simulations stirling is classed as a forward
we went with 4 forwards 2 attacking full backs and an offensively
minded holding midfielder.
it should come as no surprise we conceded goals against good opponents
if we were a bit disappointing it was that we could not effectively
harness our attacking talent .
cannot understand Rooney being the fall guy
he was truly awful in South Africa
but he was our most effective threat this time
1 goal 1 assist have not seen more detailed stats on last nights game
but against Italy he had the most shots and set up the most attempts
by far the least effective was wellbeck
and lallana and Barkley contributed little from the bench although
that is a tough ask

look mate ...it's the fecking world cup ok....?? It comes round every for years......go hard or go home...!! They have no pride in the shirt and no fire in their bellies..........could it be that the smallest weekly pay packet of any player in the squad is still 5 times what most people take home per annum....?? we have defenders who can't defend , playmakers who can't hack it and strikers that cant connect with the ball properly, that was one piss poor , all round performance.....imho.

The absolute need to dissect everything, blame someone, and the throw away comments about "no passion" are the reasons...the reaction to disappointment across our fans and media simply drive fear across the team...we become so scared of losing, of making a mistake, and consequently struggle to cope..We have no reason at all to be so vindictive in our blood letting...we have for years said "throw in the youngsters", go to a tournament and give them experience without worrying about the result so that they are better prepared when they are at the peaks...we have done that, looked promising at times, but our weakest point was always our defence..and against really tough teams, the likes of which you might not expect to face until last 16 we have just been edged out...nothing more complicated than that.
We came close in both games against 2 sides...that experience will be lost because of our insistence on blaming someone...lets just be disappointed because we wanted to win, not so desperate that we let disappointment drive the knife so far into players who we then expect to be confident next time around...human nature doesn;t work that way. It is OK to not be quite good enough..dont lets resort to purile, ill-thought through comments like "no passion" "didn;t want it" blah blah...

Sorry, no place for sensible stuff like this here - someone must be to blame so that the whole cycle of uncertainty can start again in time for the Euros.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Just as an aside, does anyone else feel less bad about losing this morning because we have
been battle-hardened to defeat and disappointment by the Albion?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
look mate ...it's the fecking world cup ok....?? It comes round every for years......go hard or go home...!! They have no pride in the shirt and no fire in their bellies..........could it be that the smallest weekly pay packet of any player in the squad is still 5 times what most people take home per annum....?? we have defenders who can't defend , playmakers who can't hack it and strikers that cant connect with the ball properly, that was one piss poor , all round performance.....imho.

You missed a bit about the number of foreigners in the game. Otherwise that's top quality brainsewage, the likes that only comes out during major international tournaments.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you are over thirty and go into any tournament expecting England to look anything but ordinary to not very good then you are either pretty thick or an eternal optimist who will have his/her hopes dashed every couple of years.

Fail is what England do, you should be used to it.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I agree in parts with the complaints about passion, it was clearly missing from yesterdays match and there was very little desire on show from England. That was not the case with Uruguay, they battled for everything, case in point being Alvaro Pereira, gets knocked out but refuses to go off the pitch and still puts in a team performance. You look at teams like Germany and the Netherlands, they actually think they are going to win before the game starts, England look the opposite, nervous and edgy which results in mistakes. I'm no expert on Psychology but I reckon it's about mindset and we don't have it, Spain used to and neither do they anymore, they looked beaten before the games started.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We have a problem with basic stuff, like taking an eternity to take a throwing. There was even a foul throw yesterday which should never happen at this level.

The sooner Rooney stops playing for England the better we will be. All we hear about is Rooney this Rooney that when all the players should be regarded as equal.

And just to mention the Joe Hart adverts after the game, advertising Head & Shoulders and Dorito's was a complete piss take.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You missed a bit about the number of foreigners in the game. Otherwise that's top quality brainsewage, the likes that only comes out during major international tournaments.

yeah right ho.... of course there's foreigners, it's the world cup you eeeejit......pointless discussing this any more anyway , i was gutted this morning but as people have said to me all day "did you expect anything different?" well actually i did , perhaps i'm disappointed at myself for getting sucked in to believing we are good enough to compete on an elite international level...ho hum.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
yeah right ho.... of course there's foreigners, it's the world cup you eeeejit......pointless discussing this any more anyway , i was gutted this morning but as people have said to me all day "did you expect anything different?" well actually i did , perhaps i'm disappointed at myself for getting sucked in to believing we are good enough to compete on an elite international level...ho hum.

Even though I am disappointed I don't see the WC as something we have to do well in anymore, I have learnt that, and I enjoy much more watching games as a neutral. It has been a great WC so far and the way the Dutch and Chili dismantled Spain were classic games and a joy to see. That is what the WC is about, not England.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that neutrals around the world will have enjoyed England's matches with Italy and Uruguay. There have been 6 goals, plenty of incident, I think it's easy to get blinkered but in this tournament I think we've contributed to the entertainment. However, with a decent league and some decent players there's no excuse not to.

Japan vs Greece on the other hand was a shocking match, they can both 'do one'.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They are shite because they are a bunch of pampered chavs who get to earn, screw and do whatever they want, whenever they want. They are elevated to icons and would rather get home early for a summer break and play on their X-Box while earning 300k a week and be seen in nightclubs than bother to try and give something back in a tournament. I'm not that bothered it's not public money, it's only their own money they are wasting but be nice to see them not act like wankers. Last night's match was a total phone in.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
There'll be one Englishman who doesn't give a single hoot about how our national team performed. Mr Peter Scudamore will be looking at all these new exciting talents from Central & South America & rubbing his hands knowing that the EPL will pay over the odds to get them in to his "product".
Meanwhile, young English players fade away plying their trade at the lower levels.

Depressing times for English football; certainly the bleakest outlook for England I can ever think of.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
in England kids learn to play in wind, rain, and mud, on terrible school pitches, with parents along the touchline telling them to "get rid" "hoof it" and "WIN."

in many other countries like spain (yes, i know they got knocked out but look at their success and they gave the same team "another go") - nearly each village has a 3g pitch, a decent football club (where dads aren't spinning plates just to keep it working), good weather, and parents and trainers looking to develop players more than "win" at all costs.

In places like Spain most kids teams also are a part of a club which have an under 18s, and non league adults team.

= this all equates to producing better players.

so in a nutshell, rain and wind is to blame!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here