Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are BRITISH sides so rubbish in Europe this season ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I did watch it. You could see Vertonghen's head vibrate from the contact. Whatever way you dice it he headbutted him.

I'd watch the replays again. By the looks of it he was reacting to Vertonghen pushing into the defensive line during the free-kick, so he gave him a little nut. It's not a big one, but there's definite movement and he deserves to go for that. He went barmy because it was admittedly soft...but the rules are rules.
I wouldn't disagree with either of you, but Vertonghen is a tosser because he deliberately tried to get him sent off. If I'd been the ref I'd have booked him, then sent him off the next time he did anything resembling a bookable offence.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I've not watched much of Spurs this season but why AVB chose to play him over Adebayor is baffling.

Because AVB didn't pay £26 million for Adebayor. Spending that amount of money and then not playing Soldado would've been tantamount to AVB admitting he'd made a mistake, which his ego wouldn't allow him to. Thought at the time that Spurs had overpaid for a player who had just had one good season at a fairly late stage in his career, and nothing I've seen since makes me want to revise that opinion.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I wouldn't disagree with you, but Vertonghen is a tosser because he deliberately tried to get him sent off. If I'd been the ref I'd have booked him, then sent him off the next time he did anything resembling a bookable offence.

I do agree with you that this whole 'overacting' thing that players do is really, really irritating. For people who are supposed to be at the peak of physical fitness to roll around like they've been shot is pretty embarassing for them. Unless there's some real, visible injury sustained from it (cut, bruise etc) then there should be some sort of punishment to the acting player. I'm not sure what...a yellow, i guess. It might start to lessen it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If a Palace defender had done what that lad did would you be saying that?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
And Vertonghen was certainly butted by the Dnipro player, so red card was inevitable. But Vertonghen actually perpetrated the incident in the first place and could well have been cautioned himself for that, which would then have been his 2nd yellow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes but what made Vertonghen angry was all the play acting and cheating from the Ukrainians.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If a Palace defender had done what that lad did would you be saying that?

I would, but i like to pride myself in having some sense of objectivity. I think many here would too. Take our cup game v Newcastle last year. It was a second yellow for Ameobi, which was obvious but it was also pathetic overreacting by Spanish Dave. There's just no need for it, whatever the level.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Everyone suddenly loves Roy Keane because he slags off the Premier League. I love him too for speaking from the heart, he was furious but he wasn't right.
The Premier League is the most watched football world wide. The deniers are always looking for an excuse to bash them but people want to watch them for a reason, it's exciting, we want to watch it.
The deniers were out in force this week because the best team in Germany, the champions of Spain and the champions of Greece beat English teams in the first leg of the Champions League. So that makes us s**t right? Get a grip people!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Everyone suddenly loves Roy Keane because he slags off the Premier League. I love him too for speaking from the heart, he was furious but he wasn't right.
The Premier League is the most watched football world wide. The deniers are always looking for an excuse to bash them but people want to watch them for a reason, it's exciting, we want to watch it.
The deniers were out in force this week because the best team in Germany, the champions of Spain and the champions of Greece beat English teams in the first leg of the Champions League. So that makes us s**t right? Get a grip people!

As that was your first post, i'll assume you're new here. First rule of NSC - people have a tendency to be a bit 'dramatic' in their postings. You've probably noticed it :thumbsup:

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Manchester United - A team in transition. Lack of confidence and a manager who isn't working out.
Manchester City - Playing Barcelona, even a Barcelona team who aren't playing at 100% are still sublime.
Chelsea - Look like they can go through, Turkey is a tough play to travel, they should go through.
Arsenal - Playing the best team in Europe. Bayern should win the Champions League.

Spurs - Have gone through. Playing a team that were always going to be difficult to break down. Another team in transition, who will have a new manager next year.
Swansea - Only in Europe due to a favorable cup run last year (bar Chelsea). Playing a Napoli side who were unlucky to go out of the CL in the group stages.

We're not the strongest league in Europe, but its nowhere near as bad as it looks on paper.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lazy. Defending Spurs, understandable.

Are you really asking for people to wave their hands if they do not understand the rules, are biased or follow the letter of the law.

From the very first whistle Dniepro were feigning injury and wasting time. If you play this way it is risky because the opposition and the ref will get fed up, and it can become a cardfest. The sending off was the turning point, replays show that he has to go for that. I agree Vertonghen went down like a sack of spuds, although Spurs had ramped up the pressure by scoring 5 minutes earlier and Dniepro were beginning to panic.

Football would be so much better without cheating.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012

Yes, the Premier League is the most watched on TV worldwide. It's true, but at the same time it's a grand deception. The reason for this is Manchester United. The company that does all the research on these matters found that 52% of televised Premier League matches were watched because Manchester United were playing. The vast majority of asian football fans - the demographic which drives PL popularity - have favourite sides and we can all guess which they are.

The reality is that these football fans support the club brand, not the Premier League. Fortunately for the other English clubs Manchester United have never sought to take advantage of their position, unlike say Real Madrid and Barcelona, because if there is ever a European Super League formed, the TV value of the English League will plummet to something approaching zero.

It is delusional to think that hordes of people will be staying up late in the night on Sunday in Singapore or China to watch Villa v Norwich. They're not the reason for the Premier League's viewing figures or revenue.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Spurs needed the third goal. Disgraceful sending off...Vertonghen went looking for that and conned the ref. Feel sorry for the chap sent off.
...I thought if fouls occurred in the box it was a penalty regardless whether the corner kick or free kick had been taken?

I remember a Greer sending off against Rochdale early in his Albion career where this was the case, a penalty was given, they scored and we drew 2-2.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it because all these foreign teams are managed by TIRED and TESTED English managers and full of the top INGLISH players?

I wonder if these foreign teams all play 442?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They must do - it is the only way to play afterall. Every striker in these teams is at least 6 foot 8.

And the totally rigid 4 across midfield will surprise many an opponent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here