Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are all these flights being delayed/cancelled ?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
flew Gatwick to Faro on 30th, back on 8th.
out left 20 mins late, return 5 mins early.
Despite media sensationalised headlines, we saw BBC stating ‘no easy jet flights from Portugal for a week’, whereas truth was they were cancelling one out of 5-6 daily flights and that was only on 3 days. The truth basically was, if you happened to be unfortunate have had you flight cancelled then there were no available seats for a week. I know that’s bad enough, and that we jammed out in not being effected, but there a big difference between the headline and the facts.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's a pretty ruthless industry. They've been able to cull many senior experienced cabin crew and pilots and basically start again. I think many are on zero hours, agency contracts etc. hence the impact of only finding out you don't have enough crew at the last minute. Winter is predicted to be lean for them, so the summer could be a huge problem.

Tallies with what I was told by ex-BA cabin crew, ditched during COVID. Instead of keeping on their trained workforce - the entire point of furlough - some airlines saw it as a chance to screw over staff on proper contracts and rely on a churn of eager youngsters with no proper benefits or employment. No sympathy if they now reap what they’ve sown.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Tallies with what I was told by ex-BA cabin crew, ditched during COVID. Instead of keeping on their trained workforce - the entire point of furlough - some airlines saw it as a chance to screw over staff on proper contracts and rely on a churn of eager youngsters with no proper benefits or employment. No sympathy if they now reap what they’ve sown.

agree with sentiment, however it’s passengers, and just as bad staff, who are reaping what the airlines have sewn.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Flight to Naples with Tui left onetime this morning and have been lapping up 30 degrees with a few Peroni's in Sorrento. Saw 1 Easyjet flight cancelled in the gate next to ours after they had shut the gate.
Got our honeymoon there next week. Weather looks perfect, 27 all week. Only downside is we're flying Easyjet !! Or hoping to anyway

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Was due to go to Biarritz on Saturday for a 5 day golf break.....but Easy Jet cancelled our return flight. Frantically cancelling airport parking, hotel, car hire and golf.

It's the Euro tunnel instead to Le Touquet. Didn't want to risk another possible cancelled flight ! The forecast looks soooooo much better too.....dodged two bullets :D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a pretty ruthless industry. They've been able to cull many senior experienced cabin crew and pilots and basically start again. I think many are on zero hours, agency contracts etc. hence the impact of only finding out you don't have enough crew at the last minute. Winter is predicted to be lean for them, so the summer could be a huge problem.

That’s my view. The airports and airlines used the start of the pandemic to terminate swathes of excellent staff contracts. In the medium to long term the employers will have a much reduced cost base.

It’s also chaos at Schipol, with KLM, Germanwings, Brussels Airlines and Lufthansa. I wonder if others did it too?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Airlines use post-Brexit loophole to bring in foreign workers

British Airways, easyJet and TUI are using an employment loophole to operate flights with EU crews without British work visas, as they grapple with staff shortages.

[URL="https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-airlines-wet-leasing-europe-planes-b2104983.html"]https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-airlines-wet-leasing-europe-planes-b2104983.html[/URL]

Brexit has made airport disruption worse, claims Ryanair boss

The ‘thousands of jobs’ affected by Brexit have added to travel chaos at UK airports, the boss of Ryanair has said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brexit-has-made-airport-disruption-worse-claims-ryanair-boss/ar-AAYJjpp?ocid=EMMX&cvid=0c675f6c7aff43c78dd500777 098a137

BREXIT TO BLAME FOR AIRLINE STAFF SHORTAGES, SAYS EASYJET BOSS

The boss of Britain's biggest budget airline has contradicted a minister’s assertion that Brexit is not to blame for the airport and airline chaos.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-flight-cancelled-easyjet-staff-b2104884.html

Airlines ordered to cancel summer holidays now as Brexit blamed for chaos -'Unacceptable'

Chief executive of markets and airlines for TUI David Burling, said: "The shutdown in the aviation industry was more dramatic than in other countries in Europe. We obviously had Brexit."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/airlines-ordered-to-cancel-summer-holidays-now-as-brexit-blamed-for-chaos-unacceptable/ar-AAYtTqN?ocid=EMMX&cvid=b5de5f1671734a02bbf942f6d 39ddc03

In response to some of the outrageous and, quite frankly, scurrilous statements that are being made by senior figures throughout the Airline industry, the Government have released the following statement

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Airlines use post-Brexit loophole to bring in foreign workers

British Airways, easyJet and TUI are using an employment loophole to operate flights with EU crews without British work visas, as they grapple with staff shortages.

[URL="https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-airlines-wet-leasing-europe-planes-b2104983.html"]https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-airlines-wet-leasing-europe-planes-b2104983.html[/URL]

Brexit has made airport disruption worse, claims Ryanair boss

The ‘thousands of jobs’ affected by Brexit have added to travel chaos at UK airports, the boss of Ryanair has said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brexit-has-made-airport-disruption-worse-claims-ryanair-boss/ar-AAYJjpp?ocid=EMMX&cvid=0c675f6c7aff43c78dd500777 098a137

BREXIT TO BLAME FOR AIRLINE STAFF SHORTAGES, SAYS EASYJET BOSS

The boss of Britain's biggest budget airline has contradicted a minister’s assertion that Brexit is not to blame for the airport and airline chaos.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-flight-cancelled-easyjet-staff-b2104884.html

Airlines ordered to cancel summer holidays now as Brexit blamed for chaos -'Unacceptable'

Chief executive of markets and airlines for TUI David Burling, said: "The shutdown in the aviation industry was more dramatic than in other countries in Europe. We obviously had Brexit."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/airlines-ordered-to-cancel-summer-holidays-now-as-brexit-blamed-for-chaos-unacceptable/ar-AAYtTqN?ocid=EMMX&cvid=b5de5f1671734a02bbf942f6d 39ddc03

In response to some of the outrageous and, quite frankly, scurrilous statements that are being made by senior figures throughout the Airline industry, the Government have released the following statement

Spain have a shortage of 70k industry staff, they are still in the EU

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spain have a shortage of 70k industry staff, they are still in the EU

This figure means little on its own. How does this compare with other counties especially the UK?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well I bet they're glad that they didn't get out and limit their attempts to recruit to only those with Spanish nationality then :facepalm:

And that’s working out great for them, as it is USA/Australia/Canada etc etc.

What would help more is if the government sorted out the ID pass situation. My old company has over 500 staff waiting for airside pass clearance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And that’s working out great for them, as it is USA/Australia/Canada etc etc.

What would help more is if the government sorted out the ID pass situation. My old company has over 500 staff waiting for airside pass clearance.

watching interview with US pilots rep earlier. thousands left in lockdown, not come back. main question asked, why airlines booking passengers for months knowing they dont have the staff. answer is to capture the revenue, hoping they'll find cover last minute. bit of a bigger deal there as they use planes like we do the train, while CEO have a convenient excuse here, over there they in the firing line for basic mis-managment of their business.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
watching interview with US pilots rep earlier. thousands left in lockdown, not come back. airlines booking passengers for months to capture the revenue, assuming they'll find cover then having to cancel. bit of a bigger deal there as they use planes like we do the train, while CEO have a convenient excuse here, over there they in the firing line for basic mis-managment of their business.

I bet the same people over here screaming about a flight being cancelled are the same people screaming the airlines were just collateral damage and didn’t matter two years ago.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks. Can you give us a link to the source of the 70k/37K figures :thumbsup:

I could, but I’d have to kill you after.

We get updates via briefings.

Of course. You wouldn't believe what's in the briefings HT gives me regularly :wink:

But I guess figures like that it must be in the public domain somewhere, so maybe you could just link to that :shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Of course. You wouldn't believe what's in the briefings HT gives me regularly :wink:

But I guess figures like that it must be in the public domain somewhere, so maybe you could just link to that :shrug:

As are the other reasons why there are world wide shortages, but you never mention those :D

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As are the other reasons why there are world wide shortages, but you never mention those :D

I'm sorry to point this out, but you are quoting all sorts of things for which you have no reputable source and have been completely unable to validate.

I gave four sources of senior people within the Airline industry explaining the impact Brexit has had on the industry. You immediately started posting figures for vacancies within the airline industry, none of which, despite being asked, you have been able to validate with any source whatsoever :shrug:

I'm off for dinner, but if you can find any sources whatsoever to validate all these claims that you make, I'll be more than happy to look at them tomorrow.

Have a good night :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here