Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Very pleased but haven't yet reached excitement level..... yet anyway.

I reserve that emotion for watching Albion tear the opposition apart.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Even though the results have been great so far, I still get frustrated with the slow and ponderous build up play.
It will be interesting if these tactics work again against Denmark who were the opposite in style against Russia and Wales especially.
Come the final, and it might be the most boring game in history, but the result will be all that matters for me.
Hughton style football has a role to play in my view, even though we have moved on since then.

Jul 7, 2003
Glad I'm not the only one. I didn't watch many England games before this tournament as I find Southgate's England very dull to watch. I was out for the Scotland game so watched it when I go home (that was 90 minutes wasted) and even the Germany game, I was interrupted just as England scored the first and didn't see the end of the match.

I watched the game last night with some friends who were all very excitable but even then, it wasn't an exciting 4-0 win and by the end of the game we were so busy catching up we didn't even realise the game was over. Despite someone playing the tiresome Three Lions on their phone to try and generate some enthusiasm it is just all a bit meh.

As said above, we have got together for many years to watch games and suffered so much it is probable just that as we get older we just can't get excited about something that has always ended in disappointment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quietly loving this, absorbing every minute, enjoying the journey.

4 tournament wins and counting, goals, clean-sheets and every player contributing.

As with supporting any sporting team or sportsman, there’s always some reservation. If sporting life was solely about who ultimately won the trophy, then the supporters of three out of Denmark/England/Spain/Italy will in the end see no point to it all.

In reality, it’s great to still be in the mix.

Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, France would give anything to swap places with us.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
The England games have been the most boring to watch. Mainly because of the one sided nature of them. So there is no will they, won't they nervousness to get the blood rushing. No almost out and then a last minute equaliser, no extra time and no penalties. Is this what it felt like to be German a few years ago?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I was feeling like this myself until recently, but it is obvious Southgate has created something special here and the nation is believing in him. His team is very good. We've reached this stage before and lost but I fancy we have too much firepower for the Danes, and then the crowd could get us over the line in the final.

The players are not the most likeable but the way they have bonded and egos set to one side is impressive.

Hold on :mad:. After reading NSC recently I though Southgate was meant to be an idiot that didn't know what he was doing ?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.

It's because you're a miserable fecker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seriously, if you can't actually enjoy what England are doing this summer, you might as well just give up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Did anyone else not actually celebrate Maguire’s goal as you thought he was offside and waiting for VAR

It has sucked the life out of our game

That was one reason, the other was the distraught looking Ukrainian Mrs next to me, who genuinely believed they would win..... we've watched and supported both teams, but obvs last night we were rivals...... Every England fans knows how gutting it feels when you hope so much and you fall short....... when 3rd and 4th went in I just smiled to myself and not a noise..... Could see she was totally gutted..... Weirdly I was hoping we didn't score anymore as it was already humiliating enough.

IMG-9a09fd762fdb927d6f47989c39afeb7c-V.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Did anyone else not actually celebrate Maguire’s goal as you thought he was offside and waiting for VAR

It has sucked the life out of our game

Being completely honest I didn’t go mad for any of them and I’m the same as the OP, I’m still angry about the 1990 WC semi final, took me many weeks to get over that, I even kept thinking days after it was either a bad dream or FIFA would reverse the result due to the West Germans cheating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Maybe it's because the team have something that isn't visible. It could be as simple as that they have known Southgate since they were kids.
It feels as if they are about to reach their peak as a team but not quite there yet, and the World Cup next year is where they might excel.

There also seems to be a lack of unfair drama, which could be attributed to Sepp Blatter no longer being on the scene. We're not used to being able to earn our success fairly.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was obsessed with football in my teens and twenties but as i get older my interest is slowly going, especially for internationals. Don't get me wrong i am still passionate about the national team but not as much as i use to be.

Simply an age thing. Your circulating testosterone levels are probably down to 20% of what they were when you were 20. Happens to the best of us :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I find it strange that anyone who supports Brighton can be apathetic towards their national team because of past poor results or bad performances. It's part of being a football fan, there are ups and downs (and it's been a long "down" period as an England fan) but you always keep coming back each new season or tournament with the same (usually misguided) belief and passion.

But to be apathetic when we've got a young, talented squad full of very likeable players who have reached two semi finals in consecutive major tournaments - how can you not be excited. There's a possibility we're in one of the most exciting periods in England national team football.

I'm loving every second.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.

Agree with you. Great that England are doing well, but no real sense of excitement this year. And I think the reaction to the win over Ukraine has been overdone. Just look at the opponents Not very good, were they?

If we meet Italy in the final I'm afraid we'll be shown up for what we really are, a slightly above average international footballing side.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Over the years I've managed to put a lid on the emotions of football. The only time I let them out was when Albion were promoted in 2017.

When England scored yesterday I didn't even mutter. Partly because I there was still time left and partly because I wasn't sure if VAR was going to rule anything out.

I'm pleased to see England's progression, a little excited, but I won't let it get to the point of being upset at an exit. I just enjoy the tournament and England doing well is a bonus.

So if they lose on Wednesday it'll be a little 'Oh, bother' then back to my bedtime reading. But also the anticipation of a few assaults and smashed up town centres. I hate that bit.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't know - but when you find the answer, please pass it on! I'm exactly the same!

Me too.

If we beat the Danes my belief will go right up, but they are not going to back off us as the ukraines did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here