Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why all the grief for the strikers?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But CMS was in a struggling team. Baldock was in a struggling team. COG was in a struggling team. They all got relegated. We should not be struggling along the likes of Peterborough, Barnsley and Bristol City. We just had back to back play offs, and with the exception of Leo, I think the squad is as strong as it was last season. He's a big loss, but he's not that much of a loss as some would try and make out.

Tony Bloom promised us a squad capable of promotion. I think he has just about delivered this. But what he has failed to deliver is a manager capable of getting the best out of the squad..... AGAIN!

It was music to my ears when Sami said pre-season he will adjust the tactics to suit the squad. But he is no different to Oscar, or Poyet. This is the way I play, bollocks if it doesn't suit the players, we'll stick with it. It cost us promotion under Poyet, it nearly cost us our sanity watching the shit Oscar's team turned out, and now it could cost us our Championship status, because to me yesterday, Hyppia looked lost and completely devoid of ideas.

There might be a clue in there somewhere.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
We are playing a system that doesn't suit our strengths at all. A better tactical set up with a manager who can adopt that and the strikers will start scoring.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
But CMS was in a struggling team. Baldock was in a struggling team. COG was in a struggling team. They all got relegated. We should not be struggling along the likes of Peterborough, Barnsley and Bristol City. We just had back to back play offs, and with the exception of Leo, I think the squad is as strong as it was last season. He's a big loss, but he's not that much of a loss as some would try and make out.

Tony Bloom promised us a squad capable of promotion. I think he has just about delivered this. But what he has failed to deliver is a manager capable of getting the best out of the squad..... AGAIN!

It was music to my ears when Sami said pre-season he will adjust the tactics to suit the squad. But he is no different to Oscar, or Poyet. This is the way I play, bollocks if it doesn't suit the players, we'll stick with it. It cost us promotion under Poyet, it nearly cost us our sanity watching the shit Oscar's team turned out, and now it could cost us our Championship status, because to me yesterday, Hyppia looked lost and completely devoid of ideas.

results seem to say that he is a lot different to Oscar and Gus

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
In defence of the Albion strikers let's just look at the 1st half saturday. The home side lined up with 1 striker, 5 mainly in m/field, 4 in defence with 2 of those pushing up the wings. Boro went 4-4-2 and even with the extra man in our m/field and the 2 fullbacks pushing forward Baldock had nearly nothing created for him in the way of chances. The problem is still the same as the last 3 seasons, a lack of real chances created for the forwards and a lack of support and goals from the m/field. If the forwards scored from the chances that they get at the moment they wouldn't be with us for long because the return would mostly likely be 2 or 3 chances per goal and at that rate bigger clubs than the Albion would be looking.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Can we lay off the strikers please.

Seriously can you not see that square pegs will not fit in round holes.

It's happened every season at the Amex, we play one isolated striker, give them no ammo, and then wonder why they don't score goals.

CMS and Baldock are about as much a lone striker as Katie Price is a scientist.

Baldock had one chance yesterday and fluffed his lines. If this was one of ten chances, no one would care. But it was the only proper chance he had. The bloke needs confidence, that will come with goals. One chance a game, is not going to bring that.

Some are calling for target men up front. Leo played that role last season, and it didn't suit him as much as it won't suit CMS or Baldock, or O'Grady or anyone else for that matter.

It would be no different if we had you 6ft 6 giants up front and then played balls in behind the defense for them to run onto. They equally would not be suited to that style.

So please, get off the strikers back. If there is anyone to blame, its the manager, who whilst might be a nice bloke is painfully out of his depth here.

When he came in he said he will suit the style of play to the players he has. That painfully is not happening.

CMS and Baldock will score for fun in this division. All we need to do is supply the Ammo, and until we do they will struggle.
Excellent post.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
CMS has missed enough chances in the 3+ years he's been here to receive some stick, he simply isn't good enough I'm afraid. Baldock and COG however are being completely hung out to dry.
Of course CMS is good enough.
We should try passing the ball somewhere in front of him for a change.
Might work wonders.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tons of hope for CMS as a prolific Championship striker! If only we can get rid of fall-guy Hyppia.

In CMS's 4 and quarter Championship seasons under Darren Ferguson, Poyet, Garcia and Hyppia, he has never cracked it. Nearing 31 years old, he isn't go to now.

Pluses - he smiles to fans, always tries hard, good personality at fans forums, and can shuttle run well between defenders who look completely unflustered.
Negatives - poor first touch, poor second touch, he's slowing down, Championship defenders are just as fast but stronger and more street-wise, he rarely scores, fluffs chances and half chances, instinctive passes and awareness don't come natural to him.

With the anti-SH momentum gathering pace in forums, let's see how CMS does under his 5th Championship manager.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Of course CMS is good enough.
We should try passing the ball somewhere in front of him for a change.
Might work wonders.

No, not of course. He's had 1 purple patch in 3+ seasons, other than that he's demonstrated time and time again that he lacks control, composure and finishing ability.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Our strike rate at the moment is...well...striking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here