• Vicente

Votes: 143 89.4%
  • McCourt

Votes: 17 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What exactly makes McCourt flair? He never did anything of note and was pretty terrible, it's like saying Ryan Harley was flair. :facepalm:

Vicente was the DEFINITION of FLAIR. Comprende.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What exactly makes McCourt flair? He never did anything of note and was pretty terrible, it's like saying Ryan Harley was flair. :facepalm:

Vicente was the DEFINITION of FLAIR. Comprende.

Ryan Harley WAS flair.

One incredible free kick. One abysmal penalty. Loads of ineffectual strolling around looking bored. Ginger.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the weirdest poll ever. Vicente was a footballing genius, the like of whom we may never see again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd have been more tempted to vote Paddy if he had looked like a player who could play in the top flight if he could be ar-sed. I don't think he was ever good enough for that and he's more complete tramp than Robin Friday.

Besides, he plays for Luton. I hate Luton.

Vicente all day long.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i'm worrying that people are simply voting for who was the more skilful player....

Maybe some are. But for me, it's a case of a chap who had more or less done it all at the 3rd or 4th biggest club in Spain. He's won the Spanish League, the Spanish Cup, the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Super Cup. He then, on a whim, decided he fancied a bit of fun in England away from the spotlight and when he could be ar-sed, tore the league a new bumhole. He then famously decided he'd had enough after one year and fell out with Poyet when Gus wouldn't let him go home in his second year.

His cameos against Derby and Portsmouth alone just absolutely scream flair. He was world class, came here for a jolly and lit the place up.

I'm not saying McCourt isn't flair but Vicente's world class ability is a key attribute towards his flair credentials. You may as well say "I'm worried people are voting for Paddy because he looked like a tramp and was enjoyable to watch despite having no end product"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm genuinely surprised that more people don't understand the essence of flair.
Yeah, it's defined as 'the ability to do something well, or in an exciting and interesting way'.

It is not 'has long hair', or 'looks like a tramp' :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
Maybe some are. But for me, it's a case of a chap who had more or less done it all at the 3rd or 4th biggest club in Spain. He's won the Spanish League, the Spanish Cup, the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Super Cup. He then, on a whim, decided he fancied a bit of fun in England away from the spotlight and when he could be ar-sed, tore the league a new bumhole. He then famously decided he'd had enough after one year and fell out with Poyet when Gus wouldn't let him go home in his second year.

His cameos against Derby and Portsmouth alone just absolutely scream flair. He was world class, came here for a jolly and lit the place up.

I'm not saying McCourt isn't flair but Vicente's world class ability is a key attribute towards his flair credentials. You may as well say "I'm worried people are voting for Paddy because he looked like a tramp and was enjoyable to watch despite having no end product"

if this was the justification behind most peoples motives then i'd be happy

most people are going down the 'he was really skilful' line though

anyway- we seem to have found this competitions honey badger

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, it's defined as 'the ability to do something well, or in an exciting and interesting way'.

It is not 'has long hair', or 'looks like a tramp' :lolol:

I'd say that is a good starting point, but misses some of the harder-to-define elements that can cause flairections.

I like it when a player has an excellent balance between three elements: an abundance of creative skill, a sense of unfulfilled promise and some other (possibly irrelevant to football) personality/appearance/style trait that causes them to stand out. See: Le Tissier, Okocha, Asprilla, Ginola.

When a player has been an absolute success at the game their respective skill and other traits have to be that much greater to compensate and keep the balance - see Zlatan, Maradona etc.

Oct 25, 2003
I'd say that is a good starting point, but misses some of the harder-to-define elements that can cause flairections.

I like it when a player has an excellent balance between three elements: an abundance of creative skill, a sense of unfulfilled promise and some other (possibly irrelevant to football) personality/appearance/style trait that causes them to stand out. See: Le Tissier, Okocha, Asprilla, Ginola.

When a player has been an absolute success at the game their respective skill and other traits have to be that much greater to compensate and keep the balance - see Zlatan, Maradona etc.

yeah zlatan and maradona are pretty much the only 'great' players who are actually flair as they're both absolutely insane

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

You say you’re surprised more people don’t understand the essence of flair, but I don’t think it’s definition is that clear cut. I think the difference between flair and skill are just semantics. I think a lot of people could have slightly different take on it.

Personally I don’t considered unfulfilled promise as part of flair. I’ve always thought of flair being a natural ability, exciting to watch, someone with flair can do something out of nothing, and can have a “genius” moment that other players just can’t do. So in my mind Ibrahimovich and Maradona are flair players. The fact that’s at odds with how you define those two players, doesn’t mean you’re wrong, it doesn’t mean I’m wrong, it’s just that definition of flair is perhaps more subjective than we’re giving it credit for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here