• Lopez

Votes: 42 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can someone a bit more ADVANCED in years tell me a bit more about Worthington, and what FLAIRtributes he possesses?

i.e. off field antics
did he have a foreign wife
stupid haircuts

etc, that sort of thing.

Just watch the goal clip in the round 1 thread (and above). Contest over. Frank Worthington invented flair.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Last I was aware, Worthington wasn't included in the national curriculum.

I notice you edited my post in your reply to exclude the most relevant person of all, a footballer playing at the same time as Frank - Pele. But then he didn't fit n with the point you wanted to make, did he? So - best expunge him from the record...

:wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"I didn't see Frank" isn't a reason to vote Lopez - you just abstain. Or do some research

Quite...

Others have said it before, but I'm hard pressed to think of an English footballer who was/is more flair than Worthington. He's the very definition of world-class in terms of flair. It's a total no-brainer this tie, it really is.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just watch the goal clip in the round 1 thread (and above). Contest over. Frank Worthington invented flair.

The definition of flair that turienzo's lovechild has introduced to NSC and coined isn't solely related to onfield antics.

Someone who is quite boring in every other way but skilful on the pitch is - I would argue, based on the official definition - less flair than someone who is

shit at football but tries a lot of tricks
stupid haircut
unusual nationality
gets involved in off field scrapes all the time - driving without insurance, low level fraud perhaps

All this said, Worthington is clearly pretty ruddy flair OFF the pitch, and could go a long way in the tournament. All I'm saying is it ain't just about onfield technical ability. The off-field stuff is what makes this contest fun.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I notice you edited my post in your reply to exclude the most relevant person of all, a footballer playing at the same time as Frank - Pele. But then he didn't fit n with the point you wanted to make, did he? So - best expunge him from the record...

:wink:

Fair enough. I can leave him in and my point is still as relevant as it would be otherwise :wink:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It'll be a travesty if Worthington doesn't win the whole thing, we've never had a flair player of his quality before or since, despite all his off the field antics he was still pure class on it, I'd love to have a player in the side now that had half the devilry Frank had. Entertainment personified.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Frank all the way, as a little kid watching him warm up was the FLAIREST thing ever.

Also a bit of a lad in his day off the pitch, this really is no contest

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I hate to sound like a broken record but theres only one footballer flair enough to carry a comb in his sock during a match so Frank gets my vote

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hate to sound like a broken record but theres only one footballer flair enough to carry a comb in his sock during a match so Frank gets my vote

If that's true then that is PHENOMENAL.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Worthington's got this round easily.

Although some other FLAIRtributes for Spanish Dave I think you missed off:
1) He's called Spanish Dave.
2) Never missed a Penalty for us.
3) He was trending on twitter after the last minute Blackburn equaliser.

I was at university in Leicester in the 1970s when FW was in his pomp in a team that included the likes of Weller, Rofe, Cross, Glover and Shilton. He often combed his hair on the pitch but the whereabouts of that comb never occurred to me until seeing your post today.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was too young to see Worthington play for us but it seems to me he is the only person in this contest who can stop Vicente. I really hope they meet in the final, what an absolute humdinger that would be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can someone a bit more ADVANCED in years tell me a bit more about Worthington, and what FLAIRtributes he possesses?

i.e. off field antics
did he have a foreign wife
stupid haircuts

etc, that sort of thing.

For flairness while at the Albion and involving football I give you:-

Frank not going back to the changing rooms one half time.
Preferring instead to stay on the pitch and give us a master class of tricks.

Sadly though words like tekkers and skillz were yet to be invented so I'm struggling to describe how fantastic a show, it was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Although some other FLAIRtributes for Spanish Dave I think you missed off:
2) Never missed a Penalty for us.

I would have said that reliability was the exact opposite of flair.

I'm staggered that 34 people have voted for SD in this. I thought he was great but he was decidedly unflair, Worthington is in a class of his own. I honestly thought this would be close to 100% (you always get the odd joker), this must be the surprise score of the round

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I was at university in Leicester in the 1970s when FW was in his pomp in a team that included the likes of Weller, Rofe, Cross, Glover and Shilton. He often combed his hair on the pitch but the whereabouts of that comb never occurred to me until seeing your post today.

Saw him do it just the once , but that was enough , I'm pleased somebody else witnessed him do it , I heard he was booked before kick off in a game once for Bolton doing his hair in the center circle , true ? Don't know , but it wouldn't surprise me .

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
We all love Spanish Dave.
But this is like Barcelona v Crawley Town

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here