Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's the FLAIREST of them all? FLAIRBOWL 1: Vicente vs Worthington

FLAIRBOWL- Vicente vs Worthington

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Until Vicente writes an autobiography with a flarier title than One Hump or Two, my vote's staying with Frank.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Vicente was the more technical footballer, but Frank gets my vote for being............Frank.

Failing a medical at Anfield due to excessive shagging giving him a blood pressure problem, trying to look like Elvis despite being born in Halifax, admitting on Come Dine With Me footballers special that he'd never cooked a meal before in his life, most difficult opponent 'My Ex-Wife', turning up for his England debut in high-heeled cowboy boots, a red silk shirt and a lime velvet jacket, threesomes with a Swedish mum and her daughter, the list of Franks antics causes hats to be DOFFED from all surely?

Frank was 35 when he signed for the Albion, never moved more than twenty yards either side of the penalty spot, but scored some great goals for us and is the personification of the word FLAIR in my opinion.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Peter Ward scored a goal not dissimilar to this in the late seventies against Millwall at the Den. Only goal of the game. He slightly mishit the volley but it was after a flick over the defenders. Ended a poor goal less spell for him. I was in the Millwall end. Although it was a great goal I kept quiet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
'Described by former manager Ian Greaves as "the working man's George Best", Frank Worthington made no secret of his taste for birds, booze and the beautiful game'

Who would you rather go out for a beer with? On the basis they may have been equals on the pitch then that is my guiding principle.

Vicente and it would be sangria not beer.

Oct 25, 2003
i bet frank bloody loves a kebab and knows the best place to get one in EVERY english town

"you're going to Plymouth? Head down Karims for a Shish"

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Vicente was the more technical footballer, but Frank gets my vote for being............Frank.

Failing a medical at Anfield due to excessive shagging giving him a blood pressure problem, trying to look like Elvis despite being born in Halifax, admitting on Come Dine With Me footballers special that he'd never cooked a meal before in his life, most difficult opponent 'My Ex-Wife', turning up for his England debut in high-heeled cowboy boots, a red silk shirt and a lime velvet jacket, threesomes with a Swedish mum and her daughter, the list of Franks antics causes hats to be DOFFED from all surely?

Frank was 35 when he signed for the Albion, never moved more than twenty yards either side of the penalty spot, but scored some great goals for us and is the personification of the word FLAIR in my opinion.

I'm going to go out and buy 'One Hump or Two' based on Worthington's performance in this competition.

I was aware of his reputation, but you're right he's the dictionary definition of flair (Or at least the Bestian version of flair)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Anyone who saw Frankie play in the stripes will vote for him... sadly that means he is unlikely to win :(

I saw most of Frank's games, but voted for Vicente. The reason is that Frank came with a reputation, but didn't really add to it at Brighton.
If we had enjoyed him in his pomp, he would probably have beaten Vicente.

Yoda

English & European
Slightly off topic, but any notice how Valencia's fortunes have had an upturn since Vicente returned to the club on the back room staff?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone who saw Frankie play in the stripes will vote for him... sadly that means he is unlikely to win :(

i have seen him play in two sets of stripes and think he is the flairest player ever

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The very first (or maybe second) piece I wrote for NSC, was about the excitement of Frank Worthington signing for the Albion.

It includes a nice picture of him posing with his sports car and his model WAG...

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?125-Faded-Glories

A once-great footballer, reaching the end of his top-flight career in 2011 has plenty of options. If he wishes, he can simply sit back and count his money. Those who find it too much of a wrench to lose contact with the game completely, travel the well trodden career path from professional footballer, to professional ex-footballer - put their name to a column in the Star, talk banalities with Talk Sport and yell "Unbelievable Jeff" down the phone line, from Edgeley Park on a match-day.

In that other era - before footballers interested gossip columnists, and when there were a total of a dozen sports broadcasting jobs available - the same footballer knew that once he hung up his boots, he could either open the obligatory pub or sports shop, drive a taxi, or 'coach' random children for the summer season at Butlins in Minehead.

With only such mundane inevitabilities awaiting them, the star player of yesteryear clung to his playing career for as long as his tired legs would carry him - dropping down the divisions, in search of an ever dwindling pay packet. As he descended to each subsequent level, the last lingering lustre of that stardom, raised a glimmer of excitement in his new club's fans, at least in the short term.

It was in such circumstances that Brighton fans greeted the arrival of 38 year old ex-international Frank Worthington, in 1984, with a sense of great anticipation...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Frank for me. Vicente was a sublime footballer, but lacked the character or flamboyance of Worthington.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Whenever we have these competitions the younger player almost always wins because of the people on here have no idea who the other player is or never saw him play. Vicente was flair for us but Frank was on another planet. Frank every single day of the week. However there really is no point doing this when people don't know one of the people they are voting for and don't know how different the game was then.

I wonder if Vicente could have done half the things he did on a seventies football pitch with absolutely no protection from refs.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Whenever we have these competitions the younger player almost always wins because of the people on here have no idea who the other player is or never saw him play. Vicente was flair for us but Frank was on another planet. Frank every single day of the week. However there really is no point doing this when people don't know one of the people they are voting for and don't know how different the game was then.

I wonder if Vicente could have done half the things he did on a seventies football pitch with absolutely no protection from refs.

Yes, he most definitely could have. Vicente was an absolute GENIUS.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes, he most definitely could have. Vicente was an absolute GENIUS.

based on what evidence. It's like comparing chalk and cheese.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Vicente for me - I saw Frank a few times but when he played for us he was a flairista in decline whereas Vicente still had a few tricks up his sleeve.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Big Frank for me, but no doubt Vicente will win...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Frank still wins it for me... he really can credibly be mentioned in the same sentence as Best in terms of flair. Best would win, but Frank is not out of depth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here