[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No alcohol will now be sold at stadium sites. Who is one of the sponsors? Budweiser. Oh dear.

Unless you have an executive box (19k a pop), then alcohol will be served.
Would have been the plan the whole time, just thought they'd wait to the last minute to announce. Actually probably good that it is just a shambles the whole thing.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The bribery allegations (which haven't been denied by FIFA or Qatar) are extremely disturbing. I really hope that our three haven't taken a bung.

I thought the 13/10 Ecuador was really generous. Not so now. You can't even bet with any confidence the Qataris are so corrupt.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The bribery allegations (which haven't been denied by FIFA or Qatar) are extremely disturbing. I really hope that our three haven't taken a bung.

I thought the 13/10 Ecuador was really generous. Not so now. You can't even bet with any confidence the Qataris are so corrupt.
Are the mainstream media reporting this or is it a twitter rumour?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
So disinterested, I don't even know if the games are free to air. Which channels aren't we watching them on?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Are the mainstream media reporting this or is it a twitter rumour?

:shrug:
I have no idea whether you would consider them to be "mainstream media" or "twitter rumour"

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I'll be watching Ecuador but less of the general tourney than usual. Real anticlimax, the stories off the pitch and culture clashes will be more interesting

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

I have no idea whether you would consider them to be "mainstream media" or "twitter rumour"
This story has been debunked, started on twitter and doesn't have any credibility from what I gather

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Well the first article just quotes a twitter account with 40,000 followers which does not make it true. The second I cannot read.
I will wait until proper journalists corroborate the story from separate sources. That is what I mean by mainstream media.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
You could never drink at the stadium, it was just outside sold in tents. I guess the concern is the mixing with locals and alcohol. In normal life the locals can avoid alcohol by avoiding hotels / bars etc , but having it in front of them is obviously deemed a risk / inappropriate
Sounds similar to the ancient reasons for making their womenfolk cover up from head to toe, because men back then couldn't be trusted to control themselves around the sight of a woman flaunting themselves by showing her face or ankles and to prevent them getting harassed or mistaken for prostitutes. You think maybe 2000 years of progress might have softened this approach or perhaps their men might have learned to control themselves better. Sounds like a very early form of victim shaming to me? Clearly the menfolk in these regions are still so unable to control themselves and still think it acceptable to dictate what women should wear and how all in the name of religion. Maybe they need another 2000 years?

Reactions: cjd

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds similar to the ancient reasons for making their womenfolk cover up from head to toe, because men back then couldn't be trusted to control themselves around the sight of a woman flaunting themselves by showing her face or ankles and to prevent them getting harassed or mistaken for prostitutes. You think maybe 2000 years of progress might have softened this approach or perhaps their men might have learned to control themselves better. Sounds like a very early form of victim shaming to me? Clearly the menfolk in these regions are still so unable to control themselves and still think it acceptable to dictate what women should wear and how all in the name of religion. Maybe they need another 2000 years?
I think it’s more of a respect thing. Same reason it’s beef hot dogs than pork 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m just glad we are in an open society where I can sit in my seat at the Amex enjoying a beer as well

It’ll cause issues for sure though. A lot of fans will stay drinking elsewhere and turn up to the stadium late. Especially next Friday a lot of England and Wales fans are booked in to all you can eat / drink brunches as it is a Friday so they’ll already be turning up pretty pissed, even more so if they stay in town for longer

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No alcohol will now be sold at stadium sites. Who is one of the sponsors? Budweiser. Oh dear.

Unless you have an executive box (19k a pop), then alcohol will be served.
Losing access to Budweiser, maybe not so bad after all

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

somewhere in between

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd hoped that, as it got closer, my interest in the tournament would increase because its the World Cup.

It hasn't, however. The whole thing is a corrupt sportswashing farce and, on a moral level, I want nothing to do with it.

As much as I miss watching the Albion, I won't be putting money in the pockets of the St James' Park lot in February on the same grounds.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
FIFA are ALWAYS banging the drum for being ‘non-political’ and having a ‘focus on football’.

Well, why is this Infanticide **** coming out with this today?

It’s because he has been paid.

**** off Infantino
**** off FIFA
**** off World Cup

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Infantino opened by saying: "Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker."

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports