Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you sign (CHAMPIONSHIP or LOWER LEAGUES only)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Joe Mattock has been released by Sheff Wed. If he is over his 'personal grooming' issues, would sign him over Bennett any day of the week, defensively stronger and aerially far more of a threat.

Not as good going forward, but then I prefer defenders who can actually defend.......

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A defender being able to defend is an old concept that the younger generation do not appreciate.because we have had the likes of Baines rammed down our throats.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
You may mock him but he is only 31 and this season has scored 14 goals in 44 appearances nearly 1 in 3 with a career total of 139 goals in 339 appearances which is better than 1 in 3 so who can you think of within our range with better statistics.

Yes, but 93 of those goals came in 161 performances in League 1. His record in the Championship is 24 in 120 and given his age, you would have to assume that he is now past his best and certainly shouldn't be a target for a club that wants to build a squad to get into the Championship.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
I hope that we do not go after Halford as he is not good enough as first choice and we dont need him and Calderon as back up. I or the other only. Odubajo of Brentford signed as Right midfield but played right wing back against us at The Amex, quick good tackler but I doubt Brentford will sell him.

Didnt Anton Ferdinand only sign till end of season with Reading but again wages could be a problem with him.

Would have Halford over Anton Ferdinand all day long! I would rather play Rea than him!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Leeds have signed Brckford and Paul Robinson both on frees both going back to a club they achieved sucess at previously. Both would have been good signings for us cos we need a goal scorer and PR would have been a good back up to DS and send Walton out on loan. Could we look at Lee Camp of Bournemouth as No2?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Leeds have signed Brckford and Paul Robinson both on frees both going back to a club they achieved sucess at previously. Both would have been good signings for us cos we need a goal scorer and PR would have been a good back up to DS and send Walton out on loan. Could we look at Lee Camp of Bournemouth as No2?

I've not seen this reported anywhere but I agree Robinson would have been a good signing for us.

Beckford however simply isn't a Championship goal scorer. His record at Championship level is 120 games played 24 scored. CMS has played 127 games at Championship level and scored 31 goals. Beckford scores on average every 5 games at Championship level, CMS every 4 games. We've just got rid of 1 striker who can't score regularly enough at this level, why sign another one. Their L1 scoring averages is almost identical. Beckford seems to get big billing as he once played for Chelsea, had a good spell in League 1 for Leeds and scored a winning goal in the FA Cup against Man Utd, while he may have been a very promising young player he's never lived up to that promise and at 31 he isn't likely too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've not seen this reported anywhere but I agree Robinson would have been a good signing for us.

Beckford however simply isn't a Championship goal scorer. His record at Championship level is 120 games played 24 scored. CMS has played 127 games at Championship level and scored 31 goals. Beckford scores on average every 5 games at Championship level, CMS every 4 games. We've just got rid of 1 striker who can't score regularly enough at this level, why sign another one. Their L1 scoring averages is almost identical. Beckford seems to get big billing as he once played for Chelsea, had a good spell in League 1 for Leeds and scored a winning goal in the FA Cup against Man Utd, while he may have been a very promising young player he's never lived up to that promise and at 31 he isn't likely too.

I think that you are getting confused. He joined Chelsea as a lad and was released as per Bridcutt and Ince but instead of jojning a league club he went to Wealdstone before establishing himself as a natural goal scorer achieving 1 goal in every 1.8 games which is a remarkable scoring rate and if nothing else proves he knows where the goal is and can hit it regularly. It was reported in yesterdays papers as Rosler first signings.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think that you are getting confused. He joined Chelsea as a lad and was released as per Bridcutt and Ince but instead of jojning a league club he went to Wealdstone before establishing himself as a natural goal scorer achieving 1 goal in every 1.8 games which is a remarkable scoring rate and if nothing else proves he knows where the goal is and can hit it regularly. It was reported in yesterdays papers as Rosler first signings.

I'm not getting confused, he played for Chelsea, he was there until he was 20 without making a first team appearance but he was still a Chelsea player on a pro contract.

His career record isn't a goal every 1.8 games, it is if you don't include his sub appearances, but you'd have to discount any goals he scored as a sub if you aren't counting those games (A few people have pointed this out to you before, on other threads, but yet again you choice to ignore it because it doesn't fit your agenda). His actual career record is a goal every 2.3 games which isn't too bad, but it's heavily swayed by his cup record (a goal every 1.5 games) and a decent League 1 record. All that matters for us is what he's like as a Championship player and his record there is worse than CMS.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

I think you are jumping the gun a bit according to The Yorkshire Evening Post:
Leeds United are set to bypass the opportunity to re-sign Jermaine Beckford despite the striker’s blistering end to the League One season.

Owner Massimo Cellino spoke with Beckford’s representatives earlier this month and watched the forward during the League One play-offs but the YEP understands that Leeds do not intend to firm up their interest in bringing him back to Elland Road.

Beckford is out of contract after being released by Bolton Wanderers and he finished the season on loan at Preston North End, scoring 18 times in 31 appearances to earn Preston promotion to the Championship.

He rounded off his spell at Deepdale with a hat-trick in Sunday’s play-off final against Swindon Town and North End – managed by former Leeds boss Simon Grayson – are leading the race to sign him permanently on a free transfer following his exit from Bolton. United’s contact with Beckford’s camp came prior to Uwe Rosler’s appointment as head coach and the 31-year-old is not among the list of players who Leeds intend to pursue following the German’s arrival.

Beckford continues to be held in high regard among United’s supporters on account of his five-year spell at Elland Road in which he scored 85 times and helped the club to automatic promotion from League One in 2010.

Leeds, however, remain in the market for goalscorers after a season in which they averaged just over a goal from every league game and finished with Mirco Antenucci as their leading scorer with 10. Suggestions, meanwhile, that the club are looking to sign their former goalkeeper Paul Robinson appear to be wide of the mark.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....-expected-to-pursue-beckford-option-1-7281594

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here