Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you play in goal against Huddersfield?

Who would you play in goal against Huddersfield?

• Stockdale

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Mäenpää

Votes: 68 53.1%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
People need to remember what Stockers was like when he first joined us. A bit rusty an crap. but with game time he got good.

He missed pre season, and I think that has set him back a bit, just needs a few more games to be back to his old self.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe that DS has been as good as last season, more like back to his first but he has not made thd mistakes to warrant being replaced but I can understand people wanting Maenpaa back in goal as he shouldnt have lost his place originally after the Rotherham game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What has caused this debate? Stockdale has never really been held liable for any of the goals we've conceded previously, whether it was his fault or he could have done better, or not.

Has the tide turned? It's an ironic one this, I've taken 3 years to warm to him and now people are starting to lose faith?! He looks like he's put a bit of the weight back on again, I'm sure the fitness people will be working with him and I have no questions over his attitude or application, if he's carrying timber he'll get it gone.

For me, if Hughton picks him again tomorrow night then I would ask whether Maenpaa does enough in training to suggest he deserves to take the place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What has caused this debate? Stockdale has never really been held liable for any of the goals we've conceded previously, whether it was his fault or he could have done better, or not.

Has the tide turned? It's an ironic one this, I've taken 3 years to warm to him and now people are starting to lose faith?! He looks like he's put a bit of the weight back on again, I'm sure the fitness people will be working with him and I have no questions over his attitude or application, if he's carrying timber he'll get it gone.

For me, if Hughton picks him again tomorrow night then I would ask whether Maenpaa does enough in training to suggest he deserves to take the place.

I would say he was at fault for the first Reading goal and should have done better with both at Newcastle which came about because of his poor positioning and arguably was too slow goung down to Brentfords first but that is highly debatable.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Stockdale has looked off his best form for a while... but he wasn't anywhere near the worst player on saturday and if his position is in doubt then so should a few others. He was at worst 5th or 6th best performer

Apart from Dunk and Knockaert the rest could be rotated for Tuesday

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would say he was at fault for the first Reading goal and should have done better with both at Newcastle which came about because of his poor positioning and arguably was too slow goung down to Brentfords first but that is highly debatable.

Well, my point would be that there were plenty of goals last season you could say the same thing about in my opinion. There were a lot of goals which I felt he could have done better with, or maybe more specifically, another goalkeeper would have done better with but I think he contributed more than he cost last season in the end.

It's always debatable whether a goalie could/should have done better, in my opinion, we'll see tomorrow either that Hughton rates Stockdale highly enough to not drop him, or that he doesn't think Maenpaa has done/shown enough to make us think he would be significantly better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very little to choose between the two keepers in my view. Both excellent. Hence keeping the shirt until such time as you warrant not keeping the shirt should be the overriding factor.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
Time to give the Fin an outing. Stockdale looks as if he is overweight and his distribution is poor. He seems to have difficulty keeping the ball on the park. This aspect of his game definitely needs more work.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Maybe they could park their bed in front of the goal?

You're just being a silly billy, I'm trying to spark a serious discussion

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I blame Guardiola as everybody thought the goalkeepers main job was to stop goals until he spouted rubbish about Hart and now everybody is jumping on the bandwagon. about goalkeepers and distribution.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm a big DS fan, but to be honest he is a long way off his top form at the moment.
Albeit the top form from last season was exceptional.

Nikki has bided his time and produced the goods when called upon.
I can see no harm in giving Nikki the starting berth, whilst DS gets himself sorted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sorry, there is no debate in my mind about the first goal. He got his angles dreadfully wrong and left himself exposed at the near post. You could be critical about the second, but I agree that would be harsh.

He was definitely at fault for the first at Reading and took an unfortunate step to the left for Newcastle's first.

I would play Maenppa.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Or whatever his name is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What has caused this debate? .
Brighton can't score, therefore every goal conceded becomes 10 times more important.
The defence in front has become 'shaky', therefore DS is called upon more than last season.
All saves become 'regulation', all goals conceded need a scapegoat.

Please stop me when any of this starts to sound familiar.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Brighton can't score, therefore every goal conceded becomes 10 times more important.
The defence in front has become 'shaky', therefore DS is called upon more than last season.
All saves become 'regulation', all goals conceded need a scapegoat.

Please stop me when any of this starts to sound familiar.

Rubbish, you could equally say Stockdale contributed to the defence looking shaky as about three quarters of his kicks on Saturday gifted possession back to Brentford meaning they could attack us. The defence was poor, as was Stockdale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here