Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who would want to play for Brighton?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Any defender or defensive midfield player I would have thought would jump at the chance to play for a such a master at defensive tactics as CH

Ha ! Football is not a business at the end of the day. Tony Bloom has given this club £320m + because he supports it.
Will he sack Hughton this summer , assuming we're safe - not a chance .

Q: Would you like to play kick ball for a few hours a week, living on the English riviera, with world class facilities and earn £2m a year. . . .

A: errr, maybe?

Giroud is a half sensible proposition, it may well suit him as well.
Exactly the motivation that got us last years crop, anyone with ambition might look elsewhere.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Assuming we are safe at the end of the season, the club will then take stock and start planning for next season.

Bloom is an experienced successful businessmen, admittedly the Albion is also his passion, but nonetheless he will have a frank and open discussion with his key employees about what went well what went badly and what needs to change next season. No-one in that room will be saying "yeah but what about the lack of points in the home games at the end of the season! Hughton isn't good enough"
If we stay up, Hughton will start the season. Bloom is not the type of man to jettison an employee who has delivered on what he said he could deliver.

Yes there is a question about Hughton's abilities in this Division.
This is uncharted territory for him. He has never had to rebuild a premier league team before, and it is arguable as to whether he will be able to.

On the flipside the balance of recruitment has been off this season. We got lucky with Ryan/Gross/Izquierdo/Propper last season and felt we could rely on the european league to provide us bargains again.

Hughton has been vocal about the level of players available to him. He knows better than anybody, that to develop the imported players he needs experienced Premier League players around the team too. It's no coincidence that the arrival of Rosenior, Sidwell and Murray saw us go from a playoffs team to pushing for automatics.
We need a better balance in the current squad to help us improve IMO.

To achieve this will probably mean changing our wage structure. IMO it is this, more than the manager that is holding the club back.
Hughton tried to change the tactics for the club, but the players were found wanting.
Tony Bloom will have to decide what he wants from the club. To compete, or to struggle.
Getting a new manager in to liven the existing players up and see if we can compete with the level of players we have, is another option, but is probably more of a gamble than sticking with Hughton. IMO

This with bells on. Part of me does want to see CH moved on, but that could well be papering over the cracks if the other factors remain the same...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Assuming we are safe at the end of the season, the club will then take stock and start planning for next season.

Bloom is an experienced successful businessmen, admittedly the Albion is also his passion, but nonetheless he will have a frank and open discussion with his key employees about what went well what went badly and what needs to change next season. No-one in that room will be saying "yeah but what about the lack of points in the home games at the end of the season! Hughton isn't good enough"
If we stay up, Hughton will start the season. Bloom is not the type of man to jettison an employee who has delivered on what he said he could deliver.

This is uncharted territory for him. He has never had to rebuild a premier league team before, and it is arguable as to whether he will be able to.

On the flipside the balance of recruitment has been off this season. We got lucky with Ryan/Gross/Izquierdo/Propper last season and felt we could rely on the european league to provide us bargains again.

Hughton has been vocal about the level of players available to him. He knows better than anybody, that to develop the imported players he needs experienced Premier League players around the team too. It's no coincidence that the arrival of Rosenior, Sidwell and Murray saw us go from a playoffs team to pushing for automatics.

To achieve this will probably mean changing our wage structure. IMO it is this, more than the manager that is holding the club back.
Hughton tried to change the tactics for the club, but the players were found wanting.
Tony Bloom will have to decide what he wants from the club. To compete, or to struggle.
Getting a new manager in to liven the existing players up and see if we can compete with the level of players we have, is another option, but is probably more of a gamble than sticking with Hughton. IMO

I agree with you, especially the key statement about wage structure. My understanding is that presently, owing to 'top earner' clauses, if we bring in Mitrovic for £35 million (which we could 'afford', five of our squad would have an instant pay rise from aroung £50K a week to whatever Mitro would be on (£90-120K). That sort of malarkey can't continue.

In the meantime, what sort of salary do we thing TB would tolerate (assuming the rubric above is accurate)? Maybe £75K a week? What would that bring us (where it is needed, more creative midfielders and more prolific, big and strong and athletic strikers)? And - ideally Brits.

Mmmmm....nobody springs to mind from the championship (particularly a goalscorer we cold both afford and actually want).

We are going to go abroad again, aren't we? Well, if we can up the ante with fee and salary, as outlined, we have a chance. But those top earner contracts need to be binned, really.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The solution, if we stay up, is to thank Chris for his incredible achievements at the end of the season; and get someone in with fresh ideas and ideally considerable contacts in the game in an attempt to try and reinvigorate the club.

I honestly believe Southampton would have gone down if they had stuck with Hughes this season, but they brought someone new in with fresh tactics and enthusiasm and have ended up staying up with a bit in hand.

Obviously the playing squad needs a fair bit of investment but if you get an ambitious and forward thinking manager in early, do you not think most players would jump at the chance to play for us in the Premier League?

I'm aware of the 'be careful what you wish for' argument with regards to Hughton as he would probably have top Championship clubs queuing up for him if we were to let him go, and he could very feasibly get a side promoted from that league whilst we go in the other direction, but I feel it may be time for a shake up otherwise, if we stay up, I fear we would be sleepwalking into relegation with a woeful first half of next season and I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise recently.

One of the main things Hasenhuttl has done at Southampton was improve the existing squad, and individuals. They all look fitter and Ward-Prowse has actually looked like a player and not just a decent striker of a dead ball. We heard what a hard pre-season the Albion players had and it suggested we might press teams a bit more but it hasn't lasted. We're as passive and lethargic as ever.

I think we have to hope that Dan Ashworth will introduce some type of philosophy or vision beyond just hoping that some bargain buys from northern Europe turn out to be as good as they look on their highlight reels. I'm assuming that reported bids for Chelsea youth-team players was his doing.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think there will be players who want to come here. They'll look at our defence, see 'rock solid' (normally), and look at our midfield, think 'if that were faster / stronger these would be a good team'.

That really is probably all we need at the moment - the ability to turn defence into attack quickly rather than ponderously.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, but my point is, regardless of an individual's comments about him being a nice guy (I think everyone acknowledges that) and him being a great football coach, a simplistic view is why are we not getting results or even getting anywhere near picking up points against Bournemouth, Southampton, Cardiff and others in recent games who are clubs of similar stature and realistically clubs we should be competing with if we want to stay in this league. Surely a manager's most important quality is coaching players to get results or, at the very least, coaching them so they have some semblance of a team- we've probably seen about 3 good halves of football in the last 9 games in my eyes, is that good enough?

No, but on that basis Burnley would have sacked Dyche and Bournemouth would have sacked Howe who have both had similar terrible runs this season. And do every season. Most clubs in that bottom half go on runs like that.
Hughton is odds on to keep us in the Premier League for a 3rd season in a row. And has dug out some performances (Wolves, Spurs, 2nd half yesterday) that have pretty much made that certain after a woeful few months. Not enough for most of the people on here i grant you. But away from NSC he's , i imagine, 100% safe and will be there again in August.
As for changing direction recruitment wise i guess Bloom / Barber didn't woo Ashworth for months without hoping he would enable us to look beyond the 2nd tier of Euro leagues and unlock the key to more England youth talent either currently at the top 6 or from the Champ given his background.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Wages is the reason we bought from Holland and Belgium. 'Established' players want a payrise to move as they'll get it somewhere else if not.

We are not suddenly going to pay triple to the likes of Giroud (and if we did there'd be plenty of others offering same money and safer chance to stay up). What we might alter in our plans and within our current budget, is to buy younger, British, Championship players. D.A. is the biggest clue! We've seen the gems other clubs have found and want a piece and since we're behind time wise we've signed THE guy to help. These players can cost a fortune in fees but with a more modest wage it totals the same cost yet doesn't upset the current journeymen (by Premier League standards and not meant as an insult).

Bissouma type of projects but British is what I think we'll see incoming.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can’t see why any attacking player would want to join us at the moment. The midfielders are barely allowed to attack, and the strikers get no service. It’s an awful team to play in if you’re an attacker.

That's why we need to spend big on CM, to get in players who can and will provide the service to the attackers, and storm up at 90mph, Gerrard or Souness style, to join them in the penalty area when needed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This 'we can't compete' with the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, the three newly promoted clubs, etc., etc., is utter tosh.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Players dont care about any of this, if they did Palace would never sing anyone

Money and being in the Premier League probably talk loudest for Palace - plus being in London. Though they have a few more points I don't think they play substantially better football than us.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Absolutely, all of this. Anyone thinking CH going is going to magically solve all of our "problems" needs to look at Southampton needing to get through Pellegrino and Hughes before they got to Hassenhuettl, and even he has only seen them manage a couple of more points than last season (granted they probably will improve over the summer). CH would probably guide us to safety again with 4-4-1-1 and defensive tactics next season. A new manager is a gamble in this league; it could pay off or we could easily get relegated.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I think we'll struggle to attract good players to the club while Hughton is in charge. Clearly a very likeable man, with great integrity, but his tactics are just too negative for good players to be drawn to imho. Hughton has done a marvellous job getting us to where he has, but for me, it's time to say thank you and move on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
CH would probably guide us to safety again with 4-4-1-1 and defensive tactics next season. A new manager is a gamble in this league; it could pay off or we could easily get relegated.

That'd be great! Even more empty seats and the announcement of a 30,500 crowd!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
God some depression on here from people who have no idea about our budget or how the owner is thinking, although I’ve vented this season I also know the second season is the most difficult in the PL. Huddersfield collapse a prime example. It’s only the bellend pundits slating Hughton whilst top managers in Pep for example praise his work. He’s made some baffling team selections agreed but we all do strange things under pressure. I’m happy to put this season behind us and move on with CH.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
God some depression on here from people who have no idea about our budget or how the owner is thinking, although I’ve vented this season I also know the second season is the most difficult in the PL. Huddersfield collapse a prime example. It’s only the bellend pundits slating Hughton whilst top managers in Pep for example praise his work. He’s made some baffling team selections agreed but we all do strange things under pressure. I’m happy to put this season behind us and move on with CH.
Amen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here