Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who would have been the perfect leader to take us through this pandemic

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In a crisis like this understanding the detail must be important. In I think it was the last foot and mouth I heard the tale that with the news breaking the previous evening Brown arrived for the morning briefing fully genned up on previous outbreaks, responses, subsequent reports. I am not saying he would have got everything right - but he would have grasped early on the significance and consequences of action and inaction. Thatcher I think would have been the same. Certainly we would not have seen the same mis-steps being repeatedly taken.

One problem with Johnson is that he apparently (Trump like) takes notice of the last person he has spoken to. And dissenting voices have been removed. And I just get the feeling that he just does not care enough. He does not take enough care.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In a crisis like this understanding the detail must be important. In I think it was the last foot and mouth I heard the tale that with the news breaking the previous evening Brown arrived for the morning briefing fully genned up on previous outbreaks, responses, subsequent reports. I am not saying he would have got everything right - but he would have grasped early on the significance and consequences of action and inaction. Thatcher I think would have been the same. Certainly we would not have seen the same mis-steps being repeatedly taken.

One problem with Johnson is that he apparently (Trump like) takes notice of the last person he has spoken to. And dissenting voices have been removed. And I just get the feeling that he just does not care enough. He does not take enough care.

Limited memory, desire, attention to detail and attention span. There are goldfish with better leadership qualities.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If you still believe the Cameron lie that Labour caused the worldwide economic crash of 2008 by excessive borrowing, then the history you’re reading is probably a Johnson article from the spectator. It’s utter bollocks, no economists worth their salt believe it to be the case.

Labour did not regulate the banks sufficiently, that was indeed a mistake but we’d have been hit by the financial tsunami from the U.S even if we’d have kept the likes of Goodwin under control.

When the financial Tsunami came, Brown was heroic in his decision making and decisiveness. He has more talent, integrity and capability in one of his scotch turds than c*** Johnson has.

And if you lived through it in the financial markets like I did then you will know its got nothing to do with politics.

It was a complete lack of control which it was in no one's interest to stop until it was too late. That would've been true of any party - but to praise Brown for the way he handled it is going too far.

Perhaps if he'd set up a TARP.....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And if you lived through it in the financial markets like I did then you will know its got nothing to do with politics.

It was a complete lack of control which it was in no one's interest to stop until it was too late. That would've been true of any party - but to praise Brown for the way he handled it is going too far.

Perhaps if he'd set up a TARP.....

I thought he took swift action and bailed the banks out with my money.
Although the way the banks still behave you would of thought that they may have changed there attitude somewhat.
I hate banks.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought he took swift action and bailed the banks out with my money.
Although the way the banks still behave you would of thought that they may have changed there attitude somewhat.
I hate banks.

Exactly this.

This is a great documentary that slams Labour for allowing banks the freedom to almost bankrupt the country (with the Tories arguing for less regulation rather than questioning why Labour were turning a blind eye).

However, once the shit hits the fan, quick and decisive decisions are taken, decisions Johnson would have terminally delayed or coward away from.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bmbhzb

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The only thing? You mean the one thing that is dragging us out of the pandemic?

Yes but the point I was trying to make that it’s not Boris or the Tories delivering, administering the vaccines but the NHS so the one good thing I would give him credit is leaving it to the NHS and not allowing himself or and minister to be involved other than standing up and taking any credit

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yes but the point I was trying to make that it’s not Boris or the Tories delivering, administering the vaccines but the NHS so the one good thing I would give him credit is leaving it to the NHS and not allowing himself or and minister to be involved other than standing up and taking any credit

But likewise, it's not him sat at home Googling 'what to do in a pandemic and then coming up with random made-up ideas off the top of his head. He's taking advice from scientific and medical experts on what decisions to make. You can't have it both ways.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But likewise, it's not him sat at home Googling 'what to do in a pandemic and then coming up with random made-up ideas off the top of his head. He's taking advice from scientific and medical experts on what decisions to make. You can't have it both ways.

You apparently didn't feel the need to end that quote. I'll do it for you'

He has never 'taken' the advice. Advisors advise, ministers decide. His decisions have been almost uniformly shit. He didn't need to have stabbed Whitty and shagged Pat Vallance's wife for his decisions to be shit. Other shit decisions are available, and Boris has been gorging on them.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Some of the names being bandied about on here are much more humorous than the ones intentionally said in jest.

Blair, Cameron, Brown.. I even caught glimpse of Sturgeon at one point :lolol:

If you're being honest with yourselves and able to set your entrenched hysteria aside for a brief moment, you'd accept that nobody would have come out of this well. We could be far worse off than we are, and not a whole lot better. The vaccine rollout has, and will continue to save Johnson.

I'm not sure why anyone would be hoping or expecting any leaders of merit to be coming out of party politics anyway. The whole system needs a shake up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And keep the economy and education in reasonable fettle.

Lots of people saying that Boris is rubbish so let hear who would have been better.

And before the jokers get busy lets rule out 'anyone' as a reply.

It is no joke, almost anyone could have done better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some of the names being bandied about on here are much more humorous than the ones intentionally said in jest.

Blair, Cameron, Brown.. I even caught glimpse of Sturgeon at one point :lolol:

If you're being honest with yourselves and able to set your entrenched hysteria aside for a brief moment, you'd accept that nobody would have come out of this well. We could be far worse off than we are, and not a whole lot better. The vaccine rollout has, and will continue to save Johnson.

I'm not sure why anyone would be hoping or expecting any leaders of merit to be coming out of party politics anyway. The whole system needs a shake up.

The vaccine rollout isn’t as good as the propaganda. Yes, other countries started later, but have long overtaken us. France, for example, only left a four week gap, so a higher proportion of the population are now double vaccinated, and are now inoculating 12 year olds.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we take out anyone under 18, I reckon about 90% of the rest of the UK population would have done a better job than Johnson.

Without doubt he is one of the worst possible people we could have in charge at this time.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We are truly blessed in this nation as there are (apparently) tens of thousands of online pandemic experts who always knew when to do the right thing, when to take SAGE advice and when to ignore it etc ... shirley it has to be one of our own so I nominate [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION] who would have undoubtedly presided over zero covid deaths with no economic damage [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the special mention JC

TBH I think if I'd been PM with you as deputy we could have done better than Trolley Johnson, its a pretty low bar though

As a second option, I think if Rory Stewart had been leader ten of thousands would still be alive, need a cool head capable of making pragmatic decisions.

Johnson is literally the worse leader at the worse time, just really weak. Sadly we're not done yet, freedum day just the start of the next phase....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we take out anyone under 18, I reckon about 90% of the rest of the UK population would have done a better job than Johnson.

Without doubt he is one of the worst possible people we could have in charge at this time.

What’s that, about 50m people? Seems right.

The O.P. has a point though, not everyone could have done a better job than Boris. I would not have my 5 year old son lead the Country instead of the cretin and there are probably around 15m others who are either Palace fans, kids, prisoners, senile or estate agents who I’d not let near the reins of power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here