Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who wore the number 16 shirt in 1983/4?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Didn't the premier league introduce squad numbers around 1992 and the lower leagues followed a few years later. My guess is it was for pre season friendlies

1993 they were introduced for the top flight, the FL then introduced them, mandatory, in 1999

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have a Phoenix sponsorerd away shirt from this era (has 1983 finalists underneath) with a sewn on blue number 13 on it. Given to me by Ian Muir. Pretty sure they had old shirts numbered up for training and this one from 1983/4 was used fir training in 1984/5.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

D

Deleted User X18H

This shirt was most likely worn during the Townsend Thoresen Cup match in August 1983, against Manchester United.
Or even possibly in the 1-0 defeat to Real Madrid .

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Any chance it was a peculiarity linked to Cup final? Not sure what that might be just thinking...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a Phoenix sponsorerd away shirt from this era (has 1983 finalists underneath) with a sewn on blue number 13 on it. Given to me by Ian Muir. Pretty sure they had old shirts numbered up for training and this one from 1983/4 was used fir training in 1984/5.

I'd love to see a couple of photos of that posted on my site :smile:

Btw, I agree on the training idea, there would seem to be no reason to number a shirt 16.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here