Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will light the flame at the Olympic stadium ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sir Steve Redgrave

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Isn't the last lap of the torch relat usually done by 4 high profile bearers running 100m each? Final bearer usually just runs up some steps or something to light the flame. No obvious choice but people like Kelly Holmes, Christ Hoy and Steve Redgrave must all be candidates.

They may be high profile, bit i think Christ Hoy is pushing it a bit.

I think Steve Redgrave, or maybe even Princess Anne as an Olympian in her own right, or Tanni Grey-Thompson would go down well - an all-time great paralympian and a very worthy person in her own right.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They may be high profile, bit i think Christ Hoy is pushing it a bit.

I think Steve Redgrave, or maybe even Princess Anne as an Olympian in her own right, or Tanni Grey-Thompson would go down well - an all-time great paralympian and a very worthy person in her own right.

Typo. I admire him as a cyclist, but not that much!

Princess Anne hasn't achieved anything of significance at the Olympics other than being born into an outdated and undemocratic royal family. Tanni Grey will probably be more appropriate to light the flame at the paralympics opening ceremony.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
bets on seb coe?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Should be our greatest living Olympian.

Probably Redgrave - or perhaps Redgrave and Pincent together? Kelly Holmes to pass it to them? The dingy chap would be the other candidate but he's getting his hands on it first when it arrives in Cornwall.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
FFS, The weatherman on bbc, sad hopefully it wll not be cold for the arrival of the flame. That s taking the piss.

On another point, is it really acceptable, for a couple of dozen wealthy oiks, to fly to greece, spend a bit of time there and get flown back to UK on a chartered frigging plane to bring a f***ing flame here.

Even the dickheads from croydon can light a f***ing fire, no need to spend a million pounds on that surely

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gerri Halliwell in a PVC Union flag dress

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I'm not saying it should be Beckham but he has a realistic chance. Is he the most recognized British sportsman in the world? Michel Platini did it in 1992 apparently.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
_48126315_-22.jpg

My Grandad, well it wont be him god rest him, just proud and this thread seemed appropriate

That's a cracking family picture to have

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here