Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who will lead the EPL fightback against the Super League?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
First/early mover advantage has now been lost by the Albion (imo) in the fight against the ESL announcement, as it always is if your strategy is to wait for a committee (in this case, the ‘other 14’ PL clubs) to make a decision.

Just about the entire football world has condemned the plans, including at least two chairmen of ‘other 14’ PL clubs (Parish and Khan), and we’ve said nothing.

I know that some think that it is better to await a unified PL position; I disagree. We had an opportunity to be a leader on this issue (as we have been on so many others) and decided not to. Anything we say now will be seen (at least by me) as ‘oh, and me too’.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
First/early mover advantage has now been lost by the Albion (imo) in the fight against the ESL announcement, as it always is if your strategy is to wait for a committee (in this case, the ‘other 14’ PL clubs) to make a decision.

Just about the entire football world has condemned the plans, including at least two chairmen of ‘other 14’ PL clubs (Parish and Khan), and we’ve said nothing.

I know that some think that it is better to await a unified PL position; I disagree. We had an opportunity to be a leader on this issue (as we have been on so many others) and decided not to. Anything we say now will be seen (at least by me) as ‘oh, and me too’.

Exactly this - maybe Barber is waiting until after today's meeting of the 14 before making a comment.

It's certainly unusual for him to have nothing to say....

SAC

May 21, 2014
Exactly this - maybe Barber is waiting until after today's meeting of the 14 before making a comment.

It's certainly unusual for him to have nothing to say....

Very and I can't believe that he hasn't been asked for a comment.

I don't care about being first to comment or leading the fightback but all 14 clubs need to be seen to be totally against the idea.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Very and I can't believe that he hasn't been asked for a comment.

I don't care about being first to comment or leading the fightback but all 14 clubs need to be seen to be totally against the idea.

On the contrary. The club's should acknowledge that a decision has been made and call the vote to immediately expel the 6 for bringing disrepute on the league and the game.
And be very clear that if/when they want back in the league they do so via non-league promotion, same as everyone else. Absolutely no special treatment.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Good statement from Everton...

"Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.

Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests.

Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game.

Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table.

Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.

At this time of national and international crisis - and a defining period for our game - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the ideals of our game and its supporters uppermost.

Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game’s history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game - including their own - by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.

The backlash is understandable and deserved – and has to be listened to.

This preposterous arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside of the clubs that have drafted this plan.

On behalf of everyone associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now.

Finally we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.

We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.

Everton FC Board of Directors"

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Everton’s statement was very good. Most likely 1 of 14 released at various times today.
Alan Shearer has also appeared again this morning and believes all 6 should be removed with immediate affect if the powers allow it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure we can level this one at Paul Barber. Given how big the implications are I am sure Tony Bloom will directly be involved and comment on this.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Good statement from Everton...

"Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.

Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests.

Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game.

Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table.

Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.

At this time of national and international crisis - and a defining period for our game - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the ideals of our game and its supporters uppermost.

Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game’s history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game - including their own - by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.

The backlash is understandable and deserved – and has to be listened to.

This preposterous arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside of the clubs that have drafted this plan.

On behalf of everyone associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now.

Finally we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.

We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.

Everton FC Board of Directors"

Ours is now out:

"Brighton & Hove Albion are totally opposed to plans for a breakaway European Super League as it would destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game.

These plans are the latest in an alarming and growing list of clandestine attempts from a small group of clubs whose actions would be wiping out close to 150 years of football’s tradition, competition, and sporting progress through merit.

The ups and downs of football – promotion, relegation, winning titles and cups, challenging for, or missing out, on a European place – are all part and parcel of the drama, jeopardy, joy and heartbreak that makes our game the most watched and most loved in the world.

These key attributes create significant value from which we feed a financial support structure which helps to sustain football at every level in our country and well beyond. By contrast, a European Super League would concentrate value for the benefit of a small number of clubs.

The efforts to create a closed-shop for all but the largest clubs demonstrate a clear lack of respect for the contributions of all clubs within the domestic leagues in this country and across Europe.

Plans for a European Super League also totally disregard fans, the lifeblood of our sport at professional levels, and fly in the face of the views and wishes of the overwhelming majority of football supporters of all clubs.

These clubs, like Brighton & Hove Albion, invest heavily to support their own dreams, and those of their fans, to play at the highest level they can, and to help create a sense of pride in their own clubs across the country.

Off the pitch, we remain custodians of our clubs on behalf of past, present and future generations of fans and the communities we all represent. This is a responsibility we believe we must all take very seriously.

It has been hugely encouraging to see universal opposition and widespread condemnation from across the game from various football authorities, fans, players, commentators, pundits and media, and all-party opposition in government.

We will continue to work with those groups, including the UK government and MPs of all political parties, football’s governing bodies and all of our colleagues across football to oppose and defeat these plans.

Ultimately, we are committed to a thriving domestic league and pyramid with the ultimate reward of European competition for achievements and success on the field. We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this."

Several points:

1. Everton's is far punchier, imo.
2. While it is good that the Albion has now commented, it is neither early enough to be thought of as a leader in this particular fight, nor have they waited for the 'other 14' PL clubs to opine as a group. They don't have first mover advantage, nor do they have consensus from the 'other 14'.
3. I'm pondering the wiseness of the very last sentence "We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this." On the one hand, I guess someone has to hold talks with the traitorous 6, and PB is definitely as good as anyone to do that (better than most). On the other hand, any discussions mean you're into a negotiation. It precludes "Choose. Stay or Leave; you can't have both".

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Several points:

2. While it is good that the Albion has now commented, it is neither early enough to be thought of as a leader in this particular fight, nor have they waited for the 'other 14' PL clubs to opine as a group. They don't have first mover advantage, not do they have consensus form the 'other 14'.
3. I'm pondering the wiseness of the very last sentence "We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this." On the one hand, I guess someone has to hold talks with the traitorous 6, and PB is definitely as good as anyone to do that (better than most). On the other hand, any discussions mean you're into a negotiation. It precludes "Choose. Stay or Leave; you can't have both".

I agree with all three.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree with the idea that our club needs to be seen as the leader, or first to condemn the move.

The whole point of the opposition to this crap ESL idea is for clubs to be united. Trying to stand out as leading and first is the opposite to the unity we should be hoping for.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As interesting as all of the statement are it will take more than these and funny T-shirt’s to stop this and I am hoping to see some clear and direct action and positioning from the PL, UEFA and FIFA this week. It would also be nice to see the PFA and LMA threaten direct action on behalf of players and managers if they care about the game as well.

This should involve strong punishments for the 6 this season for signing up to a competition behind the backs and rules they signed up to and if they press ahead they go alone and there is no coming back.

Actions speak louder than words

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I disagree with the idea that our club needs to be seen as the leader, or first to condemn the move.

The whole point of the opposition to this crap ESL idea is for clubs to be united. Trying to stand out as leading and first is the opposite to the unity we should be hoping for.

Fair enough. I disagree with your position, but ok.

However, if the whole point is to be united, I take it you also disagree with the timing of the statement - ie before the 'other 14' have opined as a group?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ours is now out:

"Brighton & Hove Albion are totally opposed to plans for a breakaway European Super League as it would destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game.

These plans are the latest in an alarming and growing list of clandestine attempts from a small group of clubs whose actions would be wiping out close to 150 years of football’s tradition, competition, and sporting progress through merit.

The ups and downs of football – promotion, relegation, winning titles and cups, challenging for, or missing out, on a European place – are all part and parcel of the drama, jeopardy, joy and heartbreak that makes our game the most watched and most loved in the world.

These key attributes create significant value from which we feed a financial support structure which helps to sustain football at every level in our country and well beyond. By contrast, a European Super League would concentrate value for the benefit of a small number of clubs.

The efforts to create a closed-shop for all but the largest clubs demonstrate a clear lack of respect for the contributions of all clubs within the domestic leagues in this country and across Europe.

Plans for a European Super League also totally disregard fans, the lifeblood of our sport at professional levels, and fly in the face of the views and wishes of the overwhelming majority of football supporters of all clubs.

These clubs, like Brighton & Hove Albion, invest heavily to support their own dreams, and those of their fans, to play at the highest level they can, and to help create a sense of pride in their own clubs across the country.

Off the pitch, we remain custodians of our clubs on behalf of past, present and future generations of fans and the communities we all represent. This is a responsibility we believe we must all take very seriously.

It has been hugely encouraging to see universal opposition and widespread condemnation from across the game from various football authorities, fans, players, commentators, pundits and media, and all-party opposition in government.

We will continue to work with those groups, including the UK government and MPs of all political parties, football’s governing bodies and all of our colleagues across football to oppose and defeat these plans.

Ultimately, we are committed to a thriving domestic league and pyramid with the ultimate reward of European competition for achievements and success on the field. We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this."

Several points:

2. While it is good that the Albion has now commented, it is neither early enough to be thought of as a leader in this particular fight, nor have they waited for the 'other 14' PL clubs to opine as a group. They don't have first mover advantage, nor do they have consensus from the 'other 14'.

Describe this "advantage"?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
There should also be transfer embargoes on these clubs too to stop them harvesting the best players over the next two years.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Describe this "advantage"?

It gives you the ability to be taken seriously as a leader rather than a follower. The club has taken a leadership role in many other areas over the years, accelerating that stance over particularly the last 2-3 years. I find it both surprising and disappointing that they have chosen not to adopt a similar position of leadership on a subject that appears to pose an existential threat to the fabric of the game. I know that others do not see it the same way, and that’s fair enough.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It gives you the ability to be taken seriously as a leader rather than a follower. The club has taken a leadership role in many other areas over the years, accelerating that stance over particularly the last 2-3 years. I find it both surprising and disappointing that they have chosen not to adopt a similar position of leadership on a subject that appears to pose an existential threat to the fabric of the game. I know that others do not see it the same way, and that’s fair enough.

I would count myself amongst those who would urge the most extreme sanctions to be imposed on the 6. However, I don’t agree that the club statement is in any way deficient. It’s a statement of intent and a strong one at that. Exactly what I was hoping for. Leadership comes from action not words in any case. BHA will be a part of the response of the 14 in today’s meeting. That’s the time to judge.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Does it REALLY matter, in the grand scheme of things? Two years down the line – or even one year – when this new league is either a) dead in the water b) on the back burner or c) up and running, who is going to know (or even care) who from which remaining PL club said what and when they said it?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Does it REALLY matter, in the grand scheme of things? Two years down the line – or even one year – when this new league is either a) dead in the water b) on the back burner or c) up and running, who is going to know (or even care) who from which remaining PL club said what and when they said it?

No, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. But then again, it matters more than banning bottle tops and flasks, I'd say, and the club saw fit to lead the way with those items. And yes, I'm stretching the point - but only to make another: why did the club not wish to be seen as a leader on this particular matter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here