Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who went to Brighton / Notts county

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
June 2 - my birthday. Nice atmosphere all the way from Brighton. You could argue that we never really recovered from that defeat until Micky got us promotion a decade later. Both semis were great - chap I was with smoked a complete packet of Marlboro at the Den it was that tense. He sits next to me in ESU so it can't have done him any harm.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
No, despite surviving the Semi Final 2nd leg at the Old Den.

Found out it was my GrandParents Golden Wedding anniversary that very day, and a family meal was planned. There was no way really I could get out of it, so spent a very nervous couple of hours eating lunch whilst the game was on. This being pre internet and text message days.

Made the trip to Cardiff though.

Would be awesome to see the Albion play at the new Wembley.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was 14. Even at that age, I clearly remember thinking what a dump Wembley was. Can still see Wendy crying as he trudged up to the Albion fans after.

Also remember everyone singing "We're proud of you" (to the tune of Auld Lang Syne" to the disconsolate players, and the tears rolled down my face :cry:

Never heard anyone sing that to a football team before or since. Shivers down the spine just thinking about it.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I went to both and have mixed memories about the games. Notts Co was a damp squib, a poor performance in the embarassing Chewit wrapper kit. Tommy Johnson tore us apart that day. The big thing I remember is the sea of blue and white and the racks of empty seats in the Notts County end. Cardiff was a much better day. The stadium had a better atomosphere than the old Wembley and the result and city centre location helped.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Also remember everyone singing "We're proud of you" (to the tune of Auld Lang Syne" to the disconsolate players, and the tears rolled down my face :cry:

Never heard anyone sing that to a football team before or since. Shivers down the spine just thinking about it.

We sung that at Wembley once before, after the cup final replay in 83.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Untitled-Scanned-44.jpgUntitled-Scanned-37.jpgUntitled-Scanned-39.jpg

Was so so disapointed at the final whistle as we played really poorly!

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Yes I was there hope to be again, so much younger and fitter the walk/dance up Wembley way was a cool memory, I was drunk with excitement.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I remember the hordes of Brighton fans when walking up Wembley Way and thinking we had made a good start in the first ten minutes or so!

We would have been annihilated if we had gone up though. I'm thinking like Swindon in the mid-90s.

It was a memorable season looking back - Wendy's last minute free-kick, running riot at Molineux, the cup games against Liverpool, getting out of Millwall in one piece...There can't be many seasons I can recall so much about.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was listening to it on the radio whilst on holiday in Arran. A long term arrangement that, coupled with three kids under 5 , was a difficult one to get to.

This year is much easier. I now have 4 kids under 25 but over 15 and have managed to organise a holiday to ....er ...Arran for play off final weekend!

At least it is being televised.

Jeez what a to$$er I is!

TNBA

TTF

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Know we are not there yet, but think we have a massively better squad than then, looking back. Loved John Byrne then though! I was just a teenager then but remember loving that run in. The match wasn't great, but think we are definitely in for a better time if we manage the final this time! Exciting times! What are everyones memories of last time we were near the top flight?
yes I was there.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I was 14. Even at that age, I clearly remember thinking what a dump Wembley was. Can still see Wendy crying as he trudged up to the Albion fans after.

It's been sung many times. Makes me cringe.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I was there. My principal memories are crap seats, poor game, and of course the wrong result.

I guess, if we had won, we would have needed about seven new first teamers to have even begun to compete in Division 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here