Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was the moron burning the scarf?

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
What if it hadn't had ended quite like it did, would you still be against dobbing him in? There were kids around, pensioners etc. Many then tried to get back to the seats because of the crush.
I was just in front of the idiot holding the scarf and as it really caught light it felt quite uncomfortable where I was, so I moved away to the drink area to the right where I had to paddle in piss that was everywhere. But it was preferable to possibly being set alight and also standing next to a couple of blokes on the stairs that were screaming c*** at any other Brighton fan struggling to make their way to the loo that dared brush against them. And when I say screaming at - it was barely an inch from the other person’s face, as if they were trying to provoke something. I just don’t understand the need to be like that.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Don’t like to disagree with you boss, but 100% it was a half and half scarf that was burned on the steps leading down to the (urine covered) concourse. People close by me wondered if the fire starter knew he was burning the Albion half, just before the wan*** chanted started.
Wasn’t there a chap selling the half and half scarves on the steps? Probably where he got it from.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What if it hadn't had ended quite like it did, would you still be against dobbing him in? There were kids around, pensioners etc. Many then tried to get back to the seats because of the crush.
If that had gone as badly as it could have they wouldn’t have been in a fit state to ban - either dead or disfigured. And I’m not doubting that for a second. But it didn’t. 3498 of us came home safely and 2 came back with stab wounds inflicted by Roma fans. The same fans who were chucking coins and many of us know someone who did pay a heavy price for that in Turkey with England.

I imagine they woke up the next day barely remembering it.

Bottom line - if you sell beer all game then stupid shit is going to happen. Time to put the ducking stool away.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Covers all sorts as well.

Got on a bus afterwards and saw someone I know who’s a bit of a nutcase on it behaving perfectly before three middle aged, middle class fans forced their way on where there was space for maybe one. One of them then went on to give us a jovial running commentary. Possibly the only reason he didn’t get chinned was that he’d made it so no one could raise their arms.
Our bus, like all of them I suspect, was rammed to the point where the last one through the back door (yes I know!) had the be pulled on creating such a squeeze that no one stood a chance of falling over despite the bus driver’s best efforts.

BUT one lad organised the singing from his high vantage point and made it a much more tolerable journey back. Songs ranged from the timely “tear gassed in Athens, battered in Marseilles, w***** off in Amsterdam. ….”, to Johnny Crumplin, via Knockhart, Murray, Zamora, Mayo, Gary Hart, etc. Don’t think I heard “Doug is Evil” but there was a shout of “One Kenny Beamish” from the front.

A middle aged woman near me looked a little disgusted at the start yet a few minutes late I copped her mouthing the “wan*** off in Amsterdam” song.

Well done sir. Very timely quips of “when in Rome”. Thank you. 🤣🤣

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If that had gone as badly as it could have they wouldn’t have been in a fit state to ban - either dead or disfigured. And I’m not doubting that for a second. But it didn’t. 3498 of us came home safely and 2 came back with stab wounds inflicted by Roma fans. The same fans who were chucking coins and many of us know someone who did pay a heavy price for that in Turkey with England.

Bottom line - if you sell beer all game then stupid shit is going to happen. Time to put the ducking stool away.
Not sure I see the logic in your argument. There were plenty of fans who'd been drinking all day, they didn't all decide to set fire to something in a very crowded area. You might as well say let drunk drivers off. If they haven't killed or maimed someone then no harm done!!!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I didn’t agree with it but unless someone has highly inflammable piss or if 1970’s concrete explodes when heated, I doubt there was much of a fire risk other than burns and breathing problems to those stood with him (yes I am being flippant but the risk of widespread fire was miniscule, that I’m sure the fire starter had risk assessed prior to his actions). 😀

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not sure I see the logic in your argument. There were plenty of fans who'd been drinking all day, they didn't all decide to set fire to something in a very crowded area. You might as well say let drunk drivers off. If they haven't killed or maimed someone then no harm done!!!
Literally hundreds of them were regularly setting fire to cigarettes and more than one was carelessly discarded.

You don’t really go to a game in Italy for its exemplary health and safety.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think I've seen a picture of the burning at some point, and it was a Roma scarf, and I think I know where it probably came from...

After the game, when the Roma fans to our left had largely finished taking the piss, largely in a highly-sexualised homo-erotic manner, one of the remaining ones wanted to engage in a scarf swap with an Albion fan. After much "can we swap scarves?" gesturing, the Roma fan lobbed over his scarf and the Albion fan threw over his, which I think was a black club-issued Europa League special.

The Roma fan took the Albion scarf and gave a few thumbs up by way of thanks.

Shortly after this, the Roma scarf was lobbed back in the direction of the Roma fans, but didn't make it over the dividing screen. From what I recall, a steward picked it up and gave it to an Albion fan.

I reckon it might have been that scarf.
#scarfgate 🤣

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wasn’t there a chap selling the half and half scarves on the steps? Probably where he got it from.
I posted earlier in this thread. He was showing it to a few of us with a view to selling it. We all took the piss about the date (14.03.24) and he gave up. Someone nicked it, threw it, someone else grabbed it and disappeared. Then I'm assuming it was set on fire..The timeline certainly worked that way

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was just in front of the idiot holding the scarf and as it really caught light it felt quite uncomfortable where I was, so I moved away to the drink area to the right where I had to paddle in piss that was everywhere. But it was preferable to possibly being set alight and also standing next to a couple of blokes on the stairs that were screaming c*** at any other Brighton fan struggling to make their way to the loo that dared brush against them. And when I say screaming at - it was barely an inch from the other person’s face, as if they were trying to provoke something. I just don’t understand the need to be like that.
Seems to be a very different away following from back in the day. I’ve been to one PL game away and that was weird enough this fella behind us stunk and I mean stunk of shit. When anyone moaned about the stench the fella next to him maybe his mate or relative actively wanted to fight them 😬

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s important to remember that many football fans are of an IQ well below the national average. There can be malice involved in actions, of course, but some people statistically speaking are genuinely entertained by burning things. Fire, flashing lights, fighting etc are simple stimulus for those who may struggle with more complex thought.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s important to remember that many football fans are of an IQ well below the national average. There can be malice involved in actions, of course, but some people statistically speaking are genuinely entertained by burning things. Fire, flashing lights, fighting etc are simple stimulus for those who may struggle with more complex thought.
I don't think IQ has anything to do with it. It's more a case of people's standards and how they behave after consuming drink and drugs, the feeling of anonymity and safety in a crowd/behind a perspex screen and their general standards of decency and respect. We all cross the line at times, especially when something dear to us is at stake, however and thankfully most of us know when and where to stop and won't use drink and drugs as a legitimate excuse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Think the drugs are more of a contributing factor than the beer……..pretty obvious looking at many of those who’s behaviour goes beyond a bit of boisterous fun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Think the drugs are more of a contributing factor than the beer……..pretty obvious looking at many of those who’s behaviour goes beyond a bit of boisterous fun.
The drugs keep you drinking. Coke 'sobers you up'. It's how a lot of them get through the 20 hour sessions.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon a shit performance and being stuffed 4-0 might be contributory factor. We're the best behaved supporters in the land, when we win, we're a right bunch of bastards when we lose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn’t agree with it but unless someone has highly inflammable piss or if 1970’s concrete explodes when heated, I doubt there was much of a fire risk other than burns and breathing problems to those stood with him (yes I am being flippant but the risk of widespread fire was miniscule, that I’m sure the fire starter had risk assessed prior to his actions). 😀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here