Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was the first band you saw live.?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brilliant thread by the way!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My parents took us to see The Jacksons at the Brighton Centre, 10th Feb 1979, The Destiny Tour. I hated it, mainIy because I was an early teen who loathed family outings.

With mates, Gary Numan at the Brighton Centre, 21st Sept 1980. [MENTION=33649]darkwolf666[/MENTION] .... were you there?

I was only 12-sh when The Jam, The Police, The Stranglers toured in their early pomp, so missed out :cry:

I most certainly was at that Numan concert. Sad to think 2 members of the band, Cedric Sharpley and Paul Gardiner are no longer with us!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I most certainly was at that Numan concert. Sad to think 2 members of the band, Cedric Sharpley and Paul Gardiner are no longer with us!

Easy to remember Cedric, unusual to see a black drummer at that time in a non-soul band, he was great at his craft. I didn’t know about Gardiner’s loss, such a shame.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
The Cure, Head on the Door tour, Sept 1985.. Still at Fawcett then too (5A1 :dunce: )

I was at this Cure gig.
Epic day indeed as earlier in the day I'd watched us end Millwall's unbeaten run at the old den.
Mick Ferguson scored the only goal and the locals weren't happy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Paul Gardiner struggled with heroin addiction, and died in 1984, at the age of just 25.

Sad.

I’ve read many pop star autobios. So many went through decades on opioids and/or body destroying quantities of Cocaine or painkillers or tranquillisers. Sometimes it’s naturally shy people, overcoming stage fright.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers 1970 The Dome, Larry Taylor (ex Canned Heat) was on bass, and a young up and coming guitarist called Jimmy McCulloch (ex Thunderclap Newman) was on lead. Not a bad choice for my first ever live concert.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Sherry's did bands when i was going from 73ish - DJ-unknown Band-DJ-unknown Band-DJ. Or some band in Jenks or TopRankSuite. Does this count. To actually pay to see a band was UB40 mid-80s Brighton Centre.:smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surprising amount of Heavy Metal being mentioned. Must have been very popular with youngsters back in the day.

Back then I would rather stick red hot needles in my eye than listen to Heavy Metal or Rock. I still feel the same way now.

Each to their own though and all that.

Of course, many on here wouldn’t entertain listening to some of my favourites.

I’m with you on heavy metal too, moronic to these ears :lolol:

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Billy Joel (ok not a band) in '78/9 (I was 8/9). Loved it I must admit. Some hole in Ohio (first part that last sentence is completely redundant).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My first gig, Brighton Dome - September 20th, 1976, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, discharged myself from hospital after life saving surgery (ingrown toe nail) and my big bro’ took me to the gig, with me on crutches!!!

First gig with mates, was again at The Dome, September 21st, 1979, The Police, broke a couple of seats jumping up and down on them, sorry Dome!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My first gig, Brighton Dome - September 20th, 1976, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, discharged myself from hospital after life saving surgery (ingrown toe nail) and my big bro’ took me to the gig, with me on crutches!!!

First gig with mates, was again at The Dome, September 21st, 1979, The Police, broke a couple of seats jumping up and down on them, sorry Dome!

I was at that Manfred Mann gig I think.

Blinded by the light ��

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Top of the bill, Genesis, Dome, 70p (The support was something like String Driven Thing and they don't count).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Argent 1973 down the Dome.
'Hold your head up'
'God gave rock and roll to you'
Loud, I had ringing in my ears for several days after.

I was at that gig :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here