Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was the first Albion player you met?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Mark Lawrenson when he visited the 18th Hove Cubs in Sackville Road.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Brian Powney.

My Uncle and him were big mates. He got me all the players autographs which was absolute gold for an Albion mad 10 year old.

My Uncle also told me Brian could get any autograph of professional players I wanted. So I became the most popular kid in the school, George Bests autograph, certainly mate no problem.

It was a few years later that I found out all the autographs were in my Uncles handwriting.

(Except the original Albion ones.)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
In the 70s I was in Newhaven ferry terminal waiting to catch a ferry to Dieppe. Brian Powney was filling the vending machines.

I believe he started a vending machine company when he was still a player. He remained in the vending machine industry until at least the early noughties.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The whole team in c1980 - they trained on the sports pitches at Cardinal Newman for a short-while, can't remember why now.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Brian Powney came to our School and told us about his most embarrassing moments in football - 1966 I think!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Willie Irvine - Easthill Park

Are you sure it wasn't Alex (oo oo) Dawson? He lived very near Easthill park at the end of Highland's Road??? Maybe Irvine inherited his house?

The first Brighton player I met was Denis Foreman (for much the same reason - we knew Kev and Michael, his sons, because they lived on Park Close near Easthill Park).

The first non-retired player I met was OGH in the hotel bar before the centenary dinner :love:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rami Shaaban at a night club.

"You are Rami Shaaban", I said. He nodded, said "I'm in a hurry" and walked away. Memorable moment with a memorable Brighton player.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Chris Cattlin was the new manager in 1983 when our lot met him at Brighton Station on Boxing Day.
We were waiting to get on the train and he came over for a chat - lovely bloke.
We won the game against palarse 0-2

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Peter Ward in the summer of 1978. My sister and I walked to his house from our home in Portslade, we knocked on his door and asked him for his autograph I was 9, she was 11. My sister then gave it to her friend, for the friend’s father to photocopy it. We never saw it again. It still hurts. If you’re reading this Peter, pm me for my address……

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Peter Ward in the summer of 1978. My sister and I walked to his house from our home in Portslade, we knocked on his door and asked him for it. I was 9, she was 11. My sister then gave it to her friend, for the friend’s father to photocopy it. We never saw it again. It still hurts. If you’re reading this Peter, pm me for my address……

What, pray, is the “it” you are talking about.

Did you want a fight with him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here