[Albion] Who was the better manager for us?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well? Who was better for us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Both turned out to be snide Chelsea wankers. I want that option.
I find comments like this moronic. I don't like losing players or managers to bigger clubs but thats ambition for you as well as a bigger pay cheque. Get use to it as there will be others. These things use to annoy me but not now. I have full confidence in our brilliant chairman. He is our the most important asset.
I'm already looking forward to our next chapter.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
And Potter didn't? He joined when we had stayed up by the skin of our teeth and a Cardiff clusterfuck, when all our mindset was was trying to stay in the league. He led us to the top half of the table, exciting football, replacing the promotion team with exciting youth, beating all the big teams, and left us near the top of the league dreaming of Europe.I believed at the time that we could qualify for Europe, and RDZ delivered that beautifully - but he wasn't the one that changed that mindset
Exactly, People forget that RDZ walked into a team already playing good football and not too dissimilar to his style. Had Potter not pissed off I have little doubt we would have qualified for Europe under his coaching.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
And Potter didn't? He joined when we had stayed up by the skin of our teeth and a Cardiff clusterfuck, when all our mindset was was trying to stay in the league. He led us to the top half of the table, exciting football, replacing the promotion team with exciting youth, beating all the big teams, and left us near the top of the league dreaming of Europe.I believed at the time that we could qualify for Europe, and RDZ delivered that beautifully - but he wasn't the one that changed that mindset
Well. I feel De Zerbi also changed the mindset of the supporters.

If Graham Potter would have sobbed about getting his best and only quick player at the time, Lamptey, injured for twelve months any time we lost, people would have seen it has weak. Graham Potter got the blame for not making Percy Tau or Alizera Jahanbaksh work, but when it comes to f***ing Ansu Fati, people are asking "why didnt we sign a better player?" If Potter had said "we're not Barca or Real Madrid" after losing against Charlton in the cup or 'my players aren't motivated' after losing a league game, how would the reactions be?

We went from being unable to accept that a front quartet of Lamptey, Moder, Maupay and Trossard (with Sarmiento and Locadia coming on us subs) couldn't score against Leeds to accepting - that Fati, Adingra, Ferguson, Welbeck, Joao Pedro, Enciso etc. - aren't good enough to prevent us from going months without goals or wins. We've gone from years of complaining about starting a bad team against Aston Villa in the League Cup 2019 to accept going being beaten by Roma after being pathetically over-respectful and submissive in the pre-game press conference and playing a completely braindead and delusional football in the game itself.

Roberto's charisma, along with him replacing what some felt was the bodyfication of Satan, has encouraged people to lower the view and expectations in order to be able to keep loving the lad they adore. If you look around, there's a lot of people who think we can't be competitive in the Premier League unless we have two sets of world class wingers and a couple of world class central midfielders.
We've gone from being unable to accept not winning for 10 games at an empty Amex in 2020 with a team that featured Ryan, Montoya, Alzate, Duffy, Mooy, Stephens, Connolly, Maupay and a lot of really-not-that-good players to completely accepting 33 points in 32 games in a season where Ansu Fati is considered our worst player.

We've gone from expecting ourselves to progress and do well with small means, to expecting us to be shit unless we can't give the manager another £200m of quality.

Mindset change indeed. But hey, as long as Roberto wakes up a happy genius, nothing else matters.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I find comments like this moronic. I don't like losing players or managers to bigger clubs but thats ambition for you as well as a bigger pay cheque. Get use to it as there will be others. These things use to annoy me but not now. I have full confidence in our brilliant chairman. He is our the most important asset.
I'm already looking forward to our next chapter.
I’m so glad you are above a bit of football banter. Don’t tell me you sat on your hands when we beat Potters Chelsea to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Both had strengths and weaknesses, both had good spells and bad spells. They are what they are…..wouldn’t say one was ‘better’ for us than the other. Ultimately both thought they were better than us, probably way too early :shrug:

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
GP has better in game management.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well. I feel De Zerbi also changed the mindset of the supporters.

If Graham Potter would have sobbed about getting his best and only quick player at the time, Lamptey, injured for twelve months any time we lost, people would have seen it has weak. Graham Potter got the blame for not making Percy Tau or Alizera Jahanbaksh work, but when it comes to f***ing Ansu Fati, people are asking "why didnt we sign a better player?" If Potter had said "we're not Barca or Real Madrid" after losing against Charlton in the cup or 'my players aren't motivated' after losing a league game, how would the reactions be?

We went from being unable to accept that a front quartet of Lamptey, Moder, Maupay and Trossard (with Sarmiento and Locadia coming on us subs) couldn't score against Leeds to accepting - that Fati, Adingra, Ferguson, Welbeck, Joao Pedro, Enciso etc. - aren't good enough to prevent us from going months without goals or wins. We've gone from years of complaining about starting a bad team against Aston Villa in the League Cup 2019 to accept going being beaten by Roma after being pathetically over-respectful and submissive in the pre-game press conference and playing a completely braindead and delusional football in the game itself.

Roberto's charisma, along with him replacing what some felt was the bodyfication of Satan, has encouraged people to lower the view and expectations in order to be able to keep loving the lad they adore. If you look around, there's a lot of people who think we can't be competitive in the Premier League unless we have two sets of world class wingers and a couple of world class central midfielders.
We've gone from being unable to accept not winning for 10 games at an empty Amex in 2020 with a team that featured Ryan, Montoya, Alzate, Duffy, Mooy, Stephens, Connolly, Maupay and a lot of really-not-that-good players to completely accepting 33 points in 32 games in a season where Ansu Fati is considered our worst player.

We've gone from expecting ourselves to progress and do well with small means, to expecting us to be shit unless we can't give the manager another £200m of quality.

Mindset change indeed. But hey, as long as Roberto wakes up a happy genius, nothing else matters.
Thats a quality rant mate, love it. Nowt so queer as football supporter folk

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Why do we always feel the need to compare managers? They are great managers who brought many special moments to this football club. We would not be in this current position if it wasn't for both of them. I'm thankful for Potter and De Zerbi.

Ejjejj

May 27, 2024
Potter left the club in a much better state than it was in when he arrived. De Zerbi did the opposite. So to me the answer is simple - Potter did it way better!

Jimmy Grimble

RDZ.

But there’s not as much in it as either fan club would have you believe.

Both are good managers, but both (so far) have shown themselves as being short of elite manager level, as much as they might both like to say otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports