Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was our most promising youngster ever, pre-Amex era?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Criteria:

- Under 20 when he was with us
- Played at least one game for the first team
- 10/11 season or prior

???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Didn't Dunky have a couple of pre-Amex Withdean seasons? Or is he disqualified for going on to be Amex era

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I remember John Westcott having a storming pre-season 97/98; a shame he turned out to be crap.

I guess it must have been hard for any young player, such was our mediocrity that season.

Ross Johnson & Kevin McGarrigle initially impressed as first teamers in the mid nineties.

Before that Ian Chapman & John Robinson.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Steve Sidwell. Was 19 when he first came to us (on loan from the Arse). Played nearly 400 games in the EPL, and finished off his career being excellent for us, including scoring from our half.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Tommy Elphick always seemed to have a big future, I was convinced he'd go on to play regularly at the top level. Had a decent career but never quite hit the level I expected him to.

Barrie Rees? :down:

He doesn't meet the age criterion since he signed for the Albion at the age of 21, and died in a road accident only a few months afterwards. But the nomination seems exactly right: Barrie was a footballer of exceptional ability who impressed everyone who had the privilege of watching him play. John Vinicombe wrote many years later that Barrie Rees and Mark Lawrenson were the two finest players to have played for the club in the years that John reported for the Argus.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do loan players count? If so, Withdean Era, I'd say Chris Wood. Showed tremendous promise as an 18 year old. If not, Jake Robinson was considered The Great White Hope. Seem to recall he made the mistake of scoring a hat-trick one game. Wilkins soon slapped down that kind of behaviour. Jakey was on the bench next game :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here