Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who should take our penalties in the league?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Propper's penalty was our best - under the pressure of being knocked out if he missed - and he'll start games more often than not when fit. Give him the job unless Gross is on the pitch.

Yes, decent pen.

And as the commentator reminded us, he scored v Millwall as well.

But it's odd, because Davy is one of the least capable players in front of goal that I can remember to wear an Albion shirt, (and I go back a while).

But I think he's as good a shout as any if Pascal not on the pitch

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This. Practicing penalties is usually quite useless. Each of the 22 players on the pitch knows how (yeah I know sometimes it doesnt seem like it...) to make a decent shot from eleven meters. 90% of the penalty is psychology.

And a bit of luck, also, most will have forgotten who took and missed the first one v Millwall, and he was generally quite good at penalties.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Some of best penalty takers have been defenders Phil Neal, Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin, Leighton Baines, Graham Alexander (midfielder/defender), Lee Dixon so why not use Dunk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Dunk strikes it hard normally in the air and in the centre third of the goal. I've seen analysis on Sky saying this has the most success mainly down to the keeper moving away from the area but even if he gets a hand to it, the pace of the ball is likely to take it in and if not the ball comes back out into the danger zone and not away from goal.

Just found ths https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/statistical-insight-into-penalty-shootouts-where-to-place-your-penalty-13886

Very typical centre back of limited (accurate ballstriking) ability. Not many try to place them into the top corner for good reason.

Dunky knows what he is and that power on the ball from that range will usually result in a goal

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some of best penalty takers have been defenders Phil Neal, Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin, Leighton Baines, Graham Alexander (midfielder/defender), Lee Dixon so why not use Dunk

All of those full backs. Apart from Steve Bruce, who i'm not sure got too many penalties at Man U. I think he was kind and let Cantona take them

Could have added Riise, Marcos Alonso, Roberto Carlos

Full backs and centre backs are very different types of players. Full backs tend to be better at ..... well .... football

Very few centre backs have been good penalty takers. Ramos the clearest exception, but he could probably play in any position and be a decent player.

Oh and Lee Dixon???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, Dunk doesn't have anything like Maupay's ability to strike a ball accurately.

What Dunk does have is mega cojones

Balls counts more than ability from 12 yards, so Dunk over Maupay. (though Pascal has both)

Agree with Dunk over Maupay. Not sure he should be the first alternative after Gross though.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
All of those full backs. Apart from Steve Bruce, who i'm not sure got too many penalties at Man U. I think he was kind and let Cantona take them

Could have added Riise, Marcos Alonso, Roberto Carlos

Full backs and centre backs are very different types of players. Full backs tend to be better at ..... well .... football

Very few centre backs have been good penalty takers. Ramos the clearest exception, but he could probably play in any position and be a decent player.

Oh and Lee Dixon???

Agree mainly full backs
Just googled it Steve Bruce was Man Utd 6th top penalty taker, Lee Dixon was Arsenal 5th

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can see why people are suggesting Dunk but I disagree.

In a shoot out I have always advocated the CBs stepping up early because they tend to put their foot through it. Dunk did that, then Webster fukked my theory.

The point I am making is is I don't really want CBs thinking about it too much.

I'm not sure I want CFs thinking about it too much either now.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I thought our best pen this season was Maupay's panenka v Man United. I think Maupay DOES have the balls - the Man U pen was evidence of that, as was the pen vs Wolves the other day - absolutely critical that he scored. He was also pretty confident for the one v Newcastle - which again was crucial in getting us off to a flyer!). But I think after last night my preference would be Gross - he has quite a bit of experience of taking pressure EPL pens. If not him, the Propper.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Assume Groß will carry on taking them if on the pitch (although now he is back I think that ‘luscious locks’ Davy is a better bet).
As mentioned above I agree that Welbeck may now be interested.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Maups shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a penalty kick for us ever again. The chances of scoring should be heavily stacked in the strikers favour. The fact it is even anywhere near a 50/50 risk means I’m out.

Dunk, possibly, to drill it down the middle / roof of the net for me. Pens are not hard. Stick it in the top corner. They should be able to do that. Doesn’t even need loads of power - just stick it in.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Maups shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a penalty kick for us ever again. The chances of scoring should be heavily stacked in the strikers favour. The fact it is even anywhere near a 50/50 risk means I’m out.

Dunk, possibly, to drill it down the middle / roof of the net for me. Pens are not hard. Stick it in the top corner. They should be able to do that. Doesn’t even need loads of power - just stick it in.

All about confidence with Neal though isn't it. His penalty record is still pretty good (11/13) but it was flawless before he joined us (7/7). He's now missed two - Liverpool and Leicester but he also scored a panenka against Man Utd.

He looks shot of all confidence at this moment and his performance and pathetic penalty last night are part of a wider problem of form, confidence and movement. Trossard is exactly the same.

I'm a big fan of showing faith in players quality, trusting in them to lift their heads and rediscover their form. I'm not sure Potter agrees with me and if he continues to drop players that aren't performing (from the squad or penalty duties) then I can't see our players turning it around quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here