Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers Monkey Boots

Dandyman

In London village.
Rings no bells but as a 70's smoothie Loakes brogues were more important than beer!!!!! I must have spent more on shoe polish and blakeys than I did on haircuts.Every frigging fortnight.

Royals are/were American style "wingtip" Brogues made by Loake. Possibly more 1969 than 1971 in the timeline of these things.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I saw a couple of pairs of bowling shoes in a shop last Saturday. That takes me back.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
These are the Kickers we use to wear. They had crepe soles.
I had a green pair. They were blinding.

Kicker boot.jpg

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I remember having jam shoes wouldnt want to be wearing them at the mo ... may get mistaken for a badger!!!

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
never had DMs but did have monkey boots. I got them because jean Jacques burnell wore them - i think on the cover of black and white. What i remember was that they were really really cold to wear in the winter, because the soles were thin - as opposed to the DM crepe sole. but i thought they were cool when put with my camoflaged truse and flecky top man jumper covered in beer

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
never had DMs but did have monkey boots. I got them because jean Jacques burnell wore them - i think on the cover of black and white. What i remember was that they were really really cold to wear in the winter, because the soles were thin - as opposed to the DM crepe sole. but i thought they were cool when put with my camoflaged truse and flecky top man jumper covered in beer

Forgot about JJ wearing them, I am sure it was black and white.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Tony Meola's 's Loan Spell and I both have those. Used to wear them to Da Doo Ron Ron.

I used to bowl quite a lot and my mate was assistant manager at Worthing Bowl. We used to experiment with dyes on the shoes. Got some natty finishes.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
In the Mod / Skinnyead revival of he 80's Monkey Boots were only worn by Skinnyead birds !

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Ha....Memory Lane!

Up north,in the early-to-mid 70s,the "bovver boot" of choice was either DMs or Greasy Bounders. Greasy Bounders would be ferociously polished with cherry coloured polish to modify the look.

Fighters used to wear their DMs or Bounders with white Skinners...wide parallel trousers worn at half mast to display both your boots and your willingness to get stuck in.A bloke going to football in Skinners would always be involved in fighting...it was an advert that you were game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here