Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Who remembers cloaks records back of the old Churchill square

Jul 7, 2003
I was sorting through some very old tapes a couple of weeks ago ahead of a house move and found one bought from Cloaks Records and had no idea where that was.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I remember buying bill Nelsons red noise, revolt into style on blue vinyl in abt 78/79 I was abt 9 or 10.memories aye.

According to this site there were also branches in Croydon, Streatham, Crawley amongst others, all of which get an honourable mention, but the one in Brighton is conspicuous by its absence.

Perhaps you can rectify that and contribute your own fond memories...

Edit: My mistake. The Brighton branch does get a mention. It was apparently opened by Mr Cloake senior in around 1977 and managed by someone called Trevor.

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/h--r-cloake.html

Last edited:

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Was the the one that had two floors? Lots of picture discs, coloured vinyl, rarities and imports and good selection of disco and punk?
I'd been trying to remember it's name....
Subway Records was good too, located up the top of West Street.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Was the the one that had two floors? Lots of picture discs, coloured vinyl, rarities and imports and good selection of disco and punk?
I'd been trying to remember it's name....
Subway Records was good too, located up the top of West Street.

Don't think it had 2 floors. Had loads of headphones where you could listen to albums before you bought them. Happy days.p.s don't QUOTE me on the 2 floors not 100%

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember a shop called Tiger Moth Records somewhere in town, but have no recollection of where it was. Anyone remember that?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
was that out the back, down the escalator ? there was a clothes shop down there . . .I remember getting my first ever Ben Sherman from there.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone remember the name of the record shop in Shoreham, just down from the station? Was the place to go in the early 80s.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
According to this site there were also branches in Croydon, Streatham, Crawley amongst others, all of which get an honourable mention, but the one in Brighton is conspicuous by its absence.

Perhaps you can rectify that and contribute your own fond memories...

Edit: My mistake. The Brighton branch does get a mention. It was apparently opened by Mr Cloake senior in around 1977 and managed by someone called Trevor.

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/h--r-cloake.html

More here https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placeshop/churchill-square/record-shop-tour-9

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember buying bill Nelsons red noise, revolt into style on blue vinyl in abt 78/79 I was abt 9 or 10.memories aye.

I remeber boycotting a record shop in Churchill Square after I went in there in 77 and they had a singles chart on the wall with a space where the Sex Pistols should have been. Unless there were more than one record shop in Churchill Square it would have been this one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This also used to be a record shop that had quite good stuff in the late 70s.

record shop.PNG

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Tapes? as in cassettes? Crikey, do you still have something to play them on?

I still play cassete tapes and still buy new ones. The last album I puchased on cassete was "Wolf Alice, Blue Weekend" play them through my 90's Sony walkman in to the aux port on a bluetooth speaker.

tape-walkman.JPG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't that Rounder Records - which during the 80s was the 'chart return' shop for Brighton, as opposed to the bigger HMV / Virgin stores for some reason. We used to go there specifically for this reason!

I moved away from Brighton in the spring of 80 so I can't comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here