Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who manages Communication at The Albion?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another angle could be that the club followed the correct channels and did advise all parties earlier this evening, hoping that Gus would be asked live on air about it and put his foot in it a bit more. The comments Gus has made about not knowing until advised by the BBC if proved to be wrong, will be classed as further defamation against his employer and so an appeal will be pointless as he's dug a bigger hole live on the televison. The best thing the club can do now is to call his bluff and give a statement to the BBC before the end of the game advising who and when were advised and at what time. Great poler hand by Bloom and Co !

It occurred to me too. Well if so that failed then. Gus spoke with dignity and class.

Barber needs to learn about both.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The issue is not whether he knew or not. That just does NOT matter

It's the fact with given him the opportunity on LIVE TV to claim he didn't know.

Clearly I know **** all about PR because apparently this is what you should do. To me, its bloody idiotic.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Probably wishful thinking but...maybe they announced it when did as they are going to announce the interim manager tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

Other than that, I can't think of a single other reason why they would think it would be a good idea to announce it while he's on tv!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why on earth would anyone release a statement as important as the one about Poyet when they KNOW he is on TV and is able to utilise this to strengthen or at least put his case.

Should anyone be tempted to post on here that the Club has moved on from the small corner shop to the the equivalent of a large department store - think on this example of the new professional approach.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011

It's the fact with given him the opportunity on LIVE TV to claim he didn't know.

Clearly I know **** all about PR because apparently this is what you should do. To me, its bloody idiotic.

This.

All the media are now suggesting the club are pretty pathetic and have broken UK employment law. Together with the two misleading statements regarding Gus not turning up for the hearing, this is a PR disaster. Someone else needs sacking for sure!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BBC have made their minds up already and it is team Gus. So shocking PR for the club.

i think they knew, the club knew they knew and released their statement so that he wasnt the one to tell the world.

see everyone has been so damn eager for "an announcment" we havent let the process run it course. we got an announcment and it give him a PR goal. shame.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
It's a PR disaster alright. Embarrassing for the club, and if true, shameful that he didn't know.

Any Head of Communications should act as an adviser to the board, not just pull together press releases. You have to question the clubs strategy on this.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

This is what I don't get. They gave him a platform to put his case forward. It just seems plain stupidity to me and I'd be interested to know the logic behind the decision.

I am not even sure he denied knowing about being sacked, I think it might just be that he didn't know about the statement being released but was vague enough about it that everyone was in doubt.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What a bizarre comment. This has been going on all summer and they couldn't wait for another 12 hours to make the announcement. I would say timing like this is going to make the club look bad so, yes, they should have waited.

Another way of looking at it is that it's been going on all summer and the club didn't want it to drag on any more. So they told him as soon as possible once a decision had been made (i.e. today). Now if they had informed him earlier today (if you believe the club's version of things), it made sense for them to announce the to the world before he goes on air, rather than let him announce it to the world. If they had waited 12 hours to make the announcement, the consequence would have been Poyet announcing he would have been sacked, and him controlling the news story.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Very poor from our club
However this smells of Barber and brand Brighton
Its about publicity and raising the awareness of our club, no better way than being on the BBC
Bad publicity in our eyes is not always bad in the eyes of the money men

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is what I don't get. They gave him a platform to put his case forward. It just seems plain stupidity to me and I'd be interested to know the logic behind the decision.

I am not even sure he denied knowing about being sacked, I think it might just be that he didn't know about the statement being released but was vague enough about it that everyone was in doubt.

Gus already has a platform to put his case. If not today, then the next time he is on the BBC. I'm happy the club are showing some balls over today's announcement, rather than acting like mice.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
This.
Total act of bitterness by whoever is running our club. Classless and very tin pot. We look like complete ****ing idiots. I am ashamed tonight and for the first time in 38 years will be keeping my money in my pocket this season.

Yeah, but we don't know the story do we ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This.
Total act of bitterness by whoever is running our club. Classless and very tin pot. We look like complete ****ing idiots. I am ashamed tonight and for the first time in 38 years will be keeping my money in my pocket this season.

Don't do that - we'll probably get promoted knowing your luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here