• Relegation team of 09

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Who is Kevin McGarrigle?!

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

Mar 9, 2008
Who do you think is worse?

The relegation team of 1996?

Rust, Myall, Chapman, Parris, Johnson, Mcgarrigle, Hobson, Wilkins, Rowe, Maskell, Storer

Or the relegation team of 2009?

Kuipers, Whing, Virgo, Heath, EL Ebd, Loft, Fraser, Dicker, Cox, Owusu, Davies

:ascarf:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
As bad as this season has been, the answer to that question is very straightforward.

The team of 96 thought they had got a result if they managed to put their shirts on the right way round.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Good question.

If we're talking a one off game I rekon the '96 team would just about scrape it, in a dire match devoid of chances Storer would display a rare moment of quality to sneak it 1-0.

There's an interesting parallel between both pairs of strikers, both teams contain an expensive player that we paid over the odds for, and a big immoble black man.

Mar 9, 2008
Good question.

If we're talking a one off game I rekon the '96 team would just about scrape it, in a dire match devoid of chances Storer would display a rare moment of quality to sneak it 1-0.

There's an interesting parallel between both pairs of strikers, both teams contain an expensive player that we paid over the odds for, and a big immoble black man.

Agreed. I don't think it would be the most interesting of games!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
To be fair, Storer produced EXTREMELY rare moments of quality during the above mentioned 95/96...
But then, IMO, he wrote himself into legend for his performances over the 96/97 season as a whole and not just one game.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Without a doubt the 2009 side. The 2009 side is 100 times more talneted but the 1996 side would die for the cause whereas the latest lot would just roll over. I certainly I a huge amount of respect for the 1996 side. This side is the worst in supporting BHAFC for 37 years is respect of talent, ability, cost and actual performances and results.

Mar 9, 2008
To be fair, Storer produced EXTREMELY rare moments of quality during the above mentioned 95/96...
But then, IMO, he wrote himself into legend for his performances over the 96/97 season as a whole and not just one game.

He set up quie a few important goals if I remember. He may have provided the cross for Ian Baird's chested goal against Barnet that famous night, as well as another Baird goal against Cardiff on a lovely peaceful afternoon when our friends from Wales came down to enjoy a game of football and a day out by the sea...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
To be fair, you are comparing the best players from 97 with the virus and injury plagued team of 2009.

Mar 9, 2008
To be fair, you are comparing the best players from 97 with the virus and injury plagued team of 2009.

No, we are comparing the team of 96, not the team of 97. There was a huge difference in the way the tam played after Gritt took over. My original post was comparing the team that got relegated in 1996. A very sad night it was at Notts county that season. We were merely pointing out that the players transformed themselves into a team under Gritt later on. Although they still lacked considereable talent, they played as a team and fought for the cause. The team, however, that got relegated under Jimmy Case were useless. Worse than what we have now, IMO.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No, we are comparing the team of 96, not the team of 97. There was a huge difference in the way the tam played after Gritt took over. My original post was comparing the team that got relegated in 1996. A very sad night it was at Notts county that season. We were merely pointing out that the players transformed themselves into a team under Gritt later on. Although they still lacked considereable talent, they played as a team and fought for the cause. The team, however, that got relegated under Jimmy Case were useless. Worse than what we have now, IMO.

I meant 1996. The best available team from this season would be far too good for them.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He set up quie a few important goals if I remember. He may have provided the cross for Ian Baird's chested goal against Barnet that famous night, as well as another Baird goal against Cardiff on a lovely peaceful afternoon when our friends from Wales came down to enjoy a game of football and a day out by the sea...

That's what i said - the 96/97 season

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
What are we comparing - inherent ability or motivation/commitment. The team of '96 was playing against a backdrop of complete upheaval at the club; the team of 09 should, in theory, be playing against a backdrop of relative stability. The team of '96 took it to game 44 (I think, away to Notts County) before being mathematically relegated; the team of '09 looks unlikely to do the same on current form.

So my vote goes for our current shambles.

Mar 9, 2008
What are we comparing - inherent ability or motivation/commitment. The team of '96 was playing against a backdrop of complete upheaval at the club; the team of 09 should, in theory, be playing against a backdrop of relative stability. The team of '96 took it to game 44 (I think, away to Notts County) before being mathematically relegated; the team of '09 looks unlikely to do the same on current form.

So my vote goes for our current shambles.

Interesting perspective. I think man for man we are a much better side now. However, there was so much going on behind the scenes back then. It was all bad stuff too. Bellotti and Archer Wrecking the club. Every single player's future back then was uncertain. What gets me is now there is a lot going on off the field but its all positive stuff!!! The building of a brand new stadium! You would have thought that the players would take pride in pulling the stripes on and leading the charge for the championship for when we get to falmer. Sadly, the complete opposite has happened and that is where something is seriously wrong at the moment

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Not much to choose betwen them but the annoying thing is that this seasons team is/was only a couple of players short of a division winning side.

Agree with that, BUT IF everyone was fit for the majority of the season and PLAYED to their potential or even 70% of it we would be at least halfway up the league! Lookig forward to next season wherever we are.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The relegation team of 2009?

Kuipers, Whing, Virgo, Heath, EL Ebd, Loft, Fraser, Dicker, Cox, Owusu, Davies

Why quote the scratch team that played at MK Dons rather than (arguably) the first team? -

Kuipers
Whing, Virgo, Elphick, McNulty
Carole(?), Dicker, Bangura, Cox
Murray, Forster.

That team is certainly better than the 1996 squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here