Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is worried for the albion this season

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Seriously, take a look at Birmingham's signings. How many of them do you want to play for us?

It may not fit with your normal economics but ask yourself who's more likely to sign for us if we offer them a contract. A player who's pretty poor at Championship level or an amazing player who could do better. I'm confident we will be okay in the end. We don't have an awful squad at the moment, despite what people say, and four or five quality additions will turn it into one that will challenge for the top six. If we get to late August without those additions, I will start to worry. Until then, what's the point?

You're completely missing my point!

I'm not suggesting we should have signed those (now) Shrewsbury players - my angle is, one club has signed 16 and we haven't signed more than a couple.

Yes those Shrews lads may all be unsuitable for Championship level, but my point is, thier squad has 16 new players and ours doesn't. No intention to try and compare quality, only quantity.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You're completely missing my point!

I'm not suggesting we should have signed those (now) Shrewsbury players - my angle is, one club has signed 16 and we haven't signed more than a couple.

Yes those Shrews lads may all be unsuitable for Championship level, but my point is, thier squad has 16 new players and ours doesn't. No intention to try and compare quality, only quantity.

But I don't think you have a point then. Reading have signed nobody. What relevance does that have on our squad. Crawley have signed about 14 so far but they only had about 5 contracted players at the start of pre season.

Are you saying we should go out and sign 16 players, whatever the quality, so we compare favourably to Shrewsbury? We don't need 16 players, so why would we do that?

I am not trying to be difficult, I'm genuinely confused at why you're bothering to make that point.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
But I don't think you have a point then. Reading have signed nobody. What relevance does that have on our squad. Crawley have signed about 14 so far but they only had about 5 contracted players at the start of pre season.

Are you saying we should go out and sign 16 players, whatever the quality, so we compare favourably to Shrewsbury? We don't need 16 players, so why would we do that?

I am not trying to be difficult, I'm genuinely confused at why you're bothering to make that point.

My point is - many (not all) on NSC are showing signs of concern that we have signed so few players (so far) in this current window.

My comparison is that some clubs [I specifically heard about Shrewsbury on local radio today] have signed many players and you have backed this up by citing Birmingham and Crawley as also having been very busy making many signings.

You can argue pros and cons for buying quickly and sooner, my point is; some clubs have bought many, we have not. Make of it what you will by adding your opinions on quality, the fundamental point is many signings [some other clubs] vs few signings [us]. If you don't think that's is a point, you are definitely missing the point.

I've no idea where you get the notion I'm suggestion we should go out and buy 16 L2 players - where have I said that? I've not even given an opinion that what they have done is good [and we should copy] or bad [and we're doing the right thing] - because basically I have no idea. I've merely stated a factual observation. Sorry if you don't like it.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Never really understood why people are labelled 'bedwetters' just for voicing an opinion about the club that may differ from some. I can fully understand why concerns are being raised about the squad and recruitment procedure. We are a long way short of where we need to be with 2 weeks to go until the season starts and signings after this point will always be playing catch up in terms of fitness and tactics. When you look at our record in the last two windows which I don't think could be viewed successful is it any wonder people have doubts about the recruitment teams ability to deliver. Last summer it was the fallout from Gus causing delays, January was Grabban being greedy and Oscar not being involved as he should, what is this summers excuse for tardiness? I thought we had a system in place to ensure that changes in management did not impact on recruitment. We have know that TK was leaving since probably late April and yet we still have not resourced a replacement, same with Ward. And we all knew Ulloa would go this summer and yet we are now hoping to sign a striker before the window closes. I keep hearing that Burke is working really hard, you know what I would rather he was a lazy arse who delivered what was needed when it was needed.
One other thing I have read the quotes from CMS this morning, I guess in the eyes of some he is a bedwetter also.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Bloody hell, what a desperate state we appear to be in. Fans bemoaning lack of signings and predicting mid-table mediocrity.
1) ' No goalkeeper signed '...I hear cried.....well TK wanted out and his head had gone at the end of the season. Dreadful errors and uncertainty unsettled the defence. Good riddance. Brez...a mistake waiting to happen...totally unreliable...mistake ridden history with BHA...good riddance. It won't take much to replace these two. Walton has promise and Ank would just about do. This area ain't a disaster.
2) ' No left back '....I hear cried...well thats a disservice to Chicksen and Maksi. Chicksen was a long term investment and will mature into a very good player. Ward wants a lot of money and I'm not convinced he's worth it. If he comes in on our terms fine, if not cheerio and good luck.
3) ' We need a creative midfielder '...I hear cried....thats suggesting that Stephens isn't up to the task. We have a powerhouse midfield, physically one of the strongest in the division. We will not be overrun in this department. Crofts, Toko, Ince and Agustien won't take any prisoners. Its what we have been needing for 3 years, not the lightweight Lopez and Orlandi types, brushed off the ball at the slightest contact. This lot will steamroller some teams.
4) ' We need a striker to replace Ulloa '....I hear cried....well you won't replace him like for like, you have to try and replace his goals. We need another 15 from a new player ( who is on his way...rest assured ) We won't have much of the Ulloa money to spend based on the first downpayment ( £2.5-3.0m ) so I guess we are looking in the £1-1.5m bracket. COG will contribute 10-12 goals and he cost £500k, so the club are searching for value. They will find it.
Worried about BHA....not in the slightest....worried if I had a Messerschmidt up my arse over the English channel...you bet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bloody hell, what a desperate state we appear to be in. Fans bemoaning lack of signings and predicting mid-table mediocrity.
1) ' No goalkeeper signed '...I hear cried.....well TK wanted out and his head had gone at the end of the season. Dreadful errors and uncertainty unsettled the defence. Good riddance. Brez...a mistake waiting to happen...totally unreliable...mistake ridden history with BHA...good riddance. It won't take much to replace these two. Walton has promise and Ank would just about do. This area ain't a disaster.
2) ' No left back '....I hear cried...well thats a disservice to Chicksen and Maksi. Chicksen was a long term investment and will mature into a very good player. Ward wants a lot of money and I'm not convinced he's worth it. If he comes in on our terms fine, if not cheerio and good luck.
3) ' We need a creative midfielder '...I hear cried....thats suggesting that Stephens isn't up to the task. We have a powerhouse midfield, physically one of the strongest in the division. We will not be overrun in this department. Crofts, Toko, Ince and Agustien won't take any prisoners. Its what we have been needing for 3 years, not the lightweight Lopez and Orlandi types, brushed off the ball at the slightest contact. This lot will steamroller some teams.
4) ' We need a striker to replace Ulloa '....I hear cried....well you won't replace him like for like, you have to try and replace his goals. We need another 15 from a new player ( who is on his way...rest assured ) We won't have much of the Ulloa money to spend based on the first downpayment ( £2.5-3.0m ) so I guess we are looking in the £1-1.5m bracket. COG will contribute 10-12 goals and he cost £500k, so the club are searching for value. They will find it.
Worried about BHA....not in the slightest....worried if I had a Messerschmidt up my arse over the English channel...you bet.
Why do you keep insisting on this show us some proof.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Good post, the only thing I will say is that the price of a new striker can be layed against the payments for leo, we are not gonna pay cash up front but stagger payment in the same way your suggesting Leicester will for Ulloa.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good post, the only thing I will say is that the price of a new striker can be layed against the payments for leo, we are not gonna pay cash up front but stagger payment in the same way your suggesting Leicester will for Ulloa.

Clearly this will be the case.

If we are being paid in installments for Leo, we'll be paying in installments ourselves for his replacement.

The only other thing regarding a left back is that Maxi is promising as a central defender, but less good as a left back. We need another, even if it is backup for Chicksen ( although I'd prefer it to be first choice ).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Gillingham and crap team reference - Tick

Moaners - Tick

Bedwetters - Tick

Tony Bloom 100m + Reference - Tick

Withdean - Tick

Lickers - Tick

FFP - Tick

Just need 'Burke out' and I can call house.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Think I may keep a link to all these Panic button pressing threads and post them all again on Sept 1st,

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Buying a lethal, goal-getting, ace striker as a replacement for Leo will change everything.

I'm convinced the club are working on this urgently.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Not so much worried as just a bit concerned that the lack of more experienced new players might see us getting off to a poor start and finishing up chasing the pack by the end of August. It happened last year when, with all the Poyet fuss, we had no manager in place until virtually the last minute. This year there is less excuse, especially as we have a manager who gas experience of English football. It's no good waiting for the loan window to open in September, we do need at least a couple of potentially quality new faces in now.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Buying a lethal, goal-getting, ace striker as a replacement for Leo will change everything.

I'm convinced the club are working on this urgently.

I don't doubt they are working on it, I'm just not convinced by the urgently bit.

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
lived in brighton all my life until i moved to chailey 4 years ago, went to my first albion game in 1984 i am a season ticket holder, does that qualify me to be a albion fan ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here