• THE PLAYERS

Votes: 78 53.1%
  • Atmosphere

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Controversial view but isn't it possible that the club is trying it's absolute best and there really isn't a simple scapegoat? It's a fiercely competitive league with no clubs that are actually bad. We're a club that has been through the wringer within living memory and that leaves its own scars, with a collective will not to risk financial ruin being hardwired into the set up.

There will always be three teams for the drop, despite their very best efforts. It's just possible that could be us this year. That would be a shame but it won't stop me coming back for more next season.
Not sure this is the controversial view. This is more like the sensible logical and spot on view.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Whole heartedly agree with this, I do not believe that any player came off the pitch on Saturday not wanting to have done better, scored or won the game.

The fat Lady isn't even warming up yet, but for those who get as much or more entertainment from complaining about everything including the on pitch action, don't worry there will still be something to poop ya pants over next season I am sure.

The Fat Lady is warning up though.

In fact, there were at least a couple in the South Stand on the 70th minute, Saturday

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
No point playing the blame game..... In reality all at the club bear some responsibility for our current league position. But to err is human. Nobody wants it to be this way and I believe that everyone has done their best on the day...
We just have to "keep calm and carry on"..we should never give up hope and belief until it is mathematically certain.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The fact that we are in the top 10 net transfer spenders in the entire world over the last 3 seasons means that whoever is responsible for our recruitment strategy has had an absolute shocker.

That maybe Bloom himself, the recruitment team, or the managers for not being right about which players we need. I don’t know but for that outlay we should be comfortably mid table.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Can hardly be the players, its not their fault id they're not good enough...the club shouldn't have brought them. Ashworth is the key influencer here.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The fact that we are in the top 10 net transfer spenders in the entire world over the last 3 seasons means that whoever is responsible for our recruitment strategy has had an absolute shocker.

That maybe Bloom himself, the recruitment team, or the managers for not being right about which players we need. I don’t know but for that outlay we should be comfortably mid table.

It is all about wages paid, not fees paid

We are in the bottom three on wages paid and there is a direct correlation to League position. Only Burnley (for three years) and Sheffield Utd, this year, buck that trend.

Pal*ce have a much higher average wage than we do, as do Southampton, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Villa, Watford and West Ham

Apart from Sheff Utd, only Norwich have a lower average wage then us.

So we will be in a relegation fight every year unless,

Wages increase

or,

We have a manager like CH (or hopefully GP) who can buck the trend and keep us in 17th place or above.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I blame being a small fish in a pond full of very big fish. It was only a matter of time. If we go down, we’ll be back

Is the correct answer. I see us as very much as a yo-yo club, alternating between the top two divisions every few years, and to be honest l'm quite happy with that.

We will never be a Liverpool or Manchester city, nor a Tottenham or Chelsea, we simply don't have the money, players, or the nous to be. I'm just grateful to have had the chance to see little old Brighton compete in the Premier League at all, never mind for three seasons on the bounce, and l for one am very grateful for that. No one is to blame, it's just the way that it is.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I blame the fact that there are not three shitehouse teams like last season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Playing defensive won't help us. The players that we have are doing their best. We could blame March and Maupay for Saturday but this game is always a potential banana skin for both teams and should be ignored.

What we have witnessed is that our players struggle under the Hughton, and Potter way. I do prefer the way we play today, with intention, and I believe it is only a matter of time before it pays off.

It is still interesting that even though we are trying to play more expansive football, we are not leaking goals. More often than not only one per game, not opening the floodgates like some are making it out to be as a flaw to out attacking style.

Fighting for our lives and chasing wins, not draws is the only way to finish the season, but we have just got a mish mash of players to work with which is down to the strategy of how we recruit and the budget set. Personally I believe that we are punching well above our weight with quality.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has anyone mentioned Spartacus yet?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Every season, week, match in football there is a huge amount of variance/luck which can define your season.

Our underlying numbers last season were very very poor. Worse than Cardiff’s. However in a few tight games we scraped some 1-0 wins, with opposition missing big chances and us grabbing a goal from minimal opportunities. The idea that luck equals out over season is a load of shite, it doesn’t.

Basically we got a bit lucky. Many other years we would have gone down. That’s not taking anything away from Hughton, but the point is just because he kept us up, that alone should not be where the judgement starts and ends.

This season our underlying numbers are better, the first half of the season was far better but luck/variance went against us and we dropped points that maybe 8/10 times we would have banked.

That seems to have affected the teams confidence but even since Christmas, I think in general we have been quite “unlucky”.

With the budget we have, relegation is always gonna be a possibility as the line is so fine between us and the other bottom teams. That doesn’t mean Bloom ****ed up with getting Potter in, and it certainly doesn’t make Potter “clueless”, because so much of what has happened is out of his hands. We have missed big chance after big chance, and been punished.

It wouldn’t have taken that much change in luck for us to be 10 points better off and us worried that potter is gonna be knicked by the FA for the England job. They’re the fine lines.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Every season, week, match in football there is a huge amount of variance/luck which can define your season.

Our underlying numbers last season were very very poor. Worse than Cardiff’s. However in a few tight games we scraped some 1-0 wins, with opposition missing big chances and us grabbing a goal from minimal opportunities. The idea that luck equals out over season is a load of shite, it doesn’t.

Basically we got a bit lucky. Many other years we would have gone down. That’s not taking anything away from Hughton, but the point is just because he kept us up, that alone should not be where the judgement starts and ends.

This season our underlying numbers are better, the first half of the season was far better but luck/variance went against us and we dropped points that maybe 8/10 times we would have banked.

That seems to have affected the teams confidence but even since Christmas, I think in general we have been quite “unlucky”.

With the budget we have, relegation is always gonna be a possibility as the line is so fine between us and the other bottom teams. That doesn’t mean Bloom ****ed up with getting Potter in, and it certainly doesn’t make Potter “clueless”, because so much of what has happened is out of his hands. We have missed big chance after big chance, and been punished.

It wouldn’t have taken that much change in luck for us to be 10 points better off and us worried that potter is gonna be knicked by the FA for the England job. They’re the fine lines.

This with fireworks..

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It is all about wages paid, not fees paid

We are in the bottom three on wages paid and there is a direct correlation to League position. Only Burnley (for three years) and Sheffield Utd, this year, buck that trend.

Pal*ce have a much higher average wage than we do, as do Southampton, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Villa, Watford and West Ham

Apart from Sheff Utd, only Norwich have a lower average wage then us.

So we will be in a relegation fight every year unless,

Wages increase

or,

We have a manager like CH (or hopefully GP) who can buck the trend and keep us in 17th place or above.
You beat me to it.

We are buying players who are unproven at this level, so they earn less money. Sometimes you unearth a gem (we haven't managed to do that so far), other times you get what you pay for (so that's a lower PL player at best), and other times you get a player who just isn't good enough.

It makes me smile, when people come on here saying, we should buy this player or that player. Our wage structure wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have been pondering over this all weekend.

I have to come clean and admit that it's all my fault.

I wore the wrong boxers and socks on Saturday as I decided, wrongly, that this lucky boxers nonsense was superstitious rubbish.

How wrong I was.

Will wear the correct ones next Saturday. :clap:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Oh please, do you really put our predicament down to bad luck? I certainly don't, 'luck' as you put it, really does balance itself out over a season, and the league table really doesn't lie.

We are in a relegation dogfight for one reason, and one reason only, we simply aren't good enough.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh please, do you really put our predicament down to bad luck? I certainly don't, 'luck' as you put it, really does balance itself out over a season, and the league table really doesn't lie.

We are in a relegation dogfight for one reason, and one reason only, we simply aren't good enough.

Always makes me laugh that just because something lasts for 38 games means that luck must “equal out.” Why is that? Does it take a bit longer for luck to even out in the Championship?

Like I tried to explain, it’s played it part. Just like it did last season when we were fortunate to stay up.

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I have been pondering over this all weekend.

I have to come clean and admit that it's all my fault.

I wore the wrong boxers and socks on Saturday as I decided, wrongly, that this lucky boxers nonsense was superstitious rubbish.

How wrong I was.

Will wear the correct ones next Saturday. :clap:

I have changed t-shirts, socks, boxers and

I’ve attended this season

West Ham (D) and (D)
Southampton (L)
Chelsea (L)
Leicester (L)
Wolves (D)
Sheff Utd (L) and (D)
Villa (D)
Pal*ce (L)