Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the greatest player you ever saw live?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
For me its Cruyff, saw him at Wembley Feb 1977 when he tore England apart, it was sublime having watched it on video a few years later his was actually pointing out to his teamates where he wanted them to run to and where he was going to pass it.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Rivaldo was pretty useful for Barca v Arse at Wembley around the year 2k....Also saw Barca at the NC - Iniesta was quite good that night. Lothar Matheus was useful too when I watched the krauts in Euro 96

But - Johnny Byrne lit up an entire season for me.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Keegan

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I would aslo put Ian Wright up there.I've always respected him as a footballer.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Gascoigne, in a friendly at the Goldstone when I was really young. He nearly broke the cross bar with a thunderbolt.

More recently probably Tevez or Beckham

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Glenn Hoddle. Got a reputation as a bit of a cock now but at his peak, boy, could be play. If he'd born in Italy or Spain, they'd have built sides round him but was never really trusted here.

I remember seeing him as an 18 or 19 year old bossing a game against Man U and when I first moved to London, I watched Tottenham more often than any other London team - even though I lived 5 minutes away from Highbury.

I've seen several other world class players but none seemed to have the command of the pitch that Hoddle had in those few years.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Ossie Ardilles for Spurs against the Albion in the old 1st division. He ran the game for the entire 90 mins and was a class above anyone else I saw during that period.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I was there when Beckham scored from the halfway line and made a name for himself, but the best player I have ever seen live is this GREAT of the game, and my football hero :bowdown:

article-0-0083763400000258-340_306x423.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gazza, without a doubt. Those two seasons leading up to 1990, he was on a different planet. Then came the injuries, drink and drugs which put him on a third planet.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ossie Ardilles for Spurs against the Albion in the old 1st division. He ran the game for the entire 90 mins and was a class above anyone else I saw during that period.

I remember that game, he was rather special I agree.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Tricky one. I would say George Best - although on one occasion when Best was playing It was Dennis Law who was unplayable.

I saw Cruyff - he carried an aura - and the opposition also looked a little in awe.

But for the player who got the pulse racing and a sense of anticipation every time he got the ball - Peter Ward.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hoddle would be my choice also. His range of pasing with either foot is just incredible.

Iniesta and Xavi of his day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here