Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

I would !

55996818.jpg

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I don't remember if there was ever anything behind this, it may just have been a nickname. In my circle of friends at the time we just always refered to TT as "Tosser", as did my dad's mates from the Post Office.

Always new him as 'Tigger' Towner, mind you when he used to run at the full back the shout used to go up "roast him Tigger", a whole new meaning regarding certain footballers these days!!

:laugh:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Tony Towner was never Tosser, or even Tigger. He was Tiger Towner & he's a legend. The best winger I ever saw in the stripes, although others older than me tell me Frankie Howard (or Howerd) the old groundsman at the Goldstone, was even better in his day.
Tiger was a big favourite among the girls that used to go in the North Stand. Believe it or not there were a fair few, & they'd wear badges with the faces of their favourite players. Wardy & Tiger were the pin ups back then.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Tony Towner was never Tosser, or even Tigger. He was Tiger Towner & he's a legend. The best winger I ever saw in the stripes, although others older than me tell me Frankie Howard (or Howerd) the old groundsman at the Goldstone, was even better in his day.
Tiger was a big favourite among the girls that used to go in the North Stand. Believe it or not there were a fair few, & they'd wear badges with the faces of their favourite players. Wardy & Tiger were the pin ups back then.

How does it go, never say never, you obviously didn't stand in the same area of the East Terrace as we did, we all called him 'Tigger', sorry.

:p

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
Goodwin,Napier.K,Henderson,Jennings?,Bromley,Powney,Spearitt,Templeman,Napier.J.

Yaxley,Murray,Gall,Irvine,Saward,Beamish,Lutton ?,Sully,Crawford.

Piper,Towner,?,?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Pictures from even further back...

1959-04-04GoldstoneGround02.jpg

Some good players in that picture that I remember.
Eric Gill, Roy Jennings, Jack Bertolini, Mike Tidey, Adrian Thorne, Steve Burtenshaw, Dennis Foreman and Glen Wilson are those I can pick out from that photo.

They appear to have black armbands. Do you think it was 1958 Munich, they were remembering.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They appear to have black armbands. Do you think it was 1958 Munich, they were remembering.

No, this was over a year later. Don't know who the arms bands are for.

We're lining up against Ipswich Town on April 4th, 1959 there, going on to win 4-1.

Line-up for the Albion (though not necessarily in the order they line-up in the picture)

1 Eric Gill
2. Syd Ellis
3. Roy 'Doz' Little
4. Jack Bertolini
5. Roy Jennings
6. Glen Wilson
7. Mike Tiddy
8. Tommy Dixon
9. Dave Sexton
10. Ian McNeill
11. Adrian Thorne

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
This was the ill-fated 72-73 team. having won glorious promotion, Saward then decided that 4 senior players, the Napiers, Dave Turner & Stewart Henderson, were no longer needed yet look at the size of that squad. And, as if that wasn't enough, it seemed he soon fell out with Willie Irvive too, so he appeared to demolish the exciting team he had built.

The writing was on the wall pretty soon, with a 6-2 defeat at Blackpool but it was 12 defeats in a row that really sealed our fete, although they did rally and were not too far adrift at the end.

Indeed, it was the introduction of youngsters like Towner and Piper that was one of the few highlights of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here