• Both

Votes: 83 37.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 57 25.8%

• Total voters

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Both, the squad has been discussed to death already but the tactics employed so far are baffling. Yesterday was mind boggling, I know they didn't have the greatest of games but KLL & CMS were the only real creative options we had on the pitch and Sami took both off. Quite why we didn't bring on the new lad in place of JFC and pushed KLL out to the wing where he is so much more effective and to bring on Fenelon who last time out looked way out of his depth just made no sense at all. I fully appreciate his hands are tied at the moment hence why we have Bruno playing in MF and 2 full backs who IMO are not up to being championship starting players. Why is Toko sat on the bench, either he's injured or not ?. Brum as were Sheffield last week are very ordinary teams who will be scrapping to stay up at the end of the season, we will be joining them if we don't get at least 4/5 in over the next 2 weeks.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think its a mixture of too. Both starting line ups for the league games have been questionable, I am all for bringing young talent through but 1st game we were left ruing our missed opportunities and picking a left back in midfield is a concern in itself when you have capable midfielders on the bench. Also the ineffective use of our current most dangerous player LuaLua.

Where as with the player recruitment, that is clear for all to see, it simply is useless at present.

On both counts, how much time do you give? Sami has only had a handful of games, so needs time to turn it round and if it carries on when does have more quality to select from then that's the time to be concerned there. In regards to recruiting, we don't clearly know what budget and orders My Burke is working with, it might be impossible to get what we need in with the resources available to him.

End of the day for all the good he has done, the only person who is accountable is Tony Bloom. He has employed Paul Barber and David Burke, they are following the instruction given to them.

If you don't mind me using your post...OG started playing Lua Lua more narrow last season...and whilst i agree that to the supporters eye (mine included) its not his most effective position..I can see his logic in playing Bruno in midfield...you mention midfield options on the bench..if we exclude the loanee who hadn't even had time to train with the team..then it left KA ..well we now what he is like...and then Toko (is he fully fit now?)...who is as i understand it not the most creative of players...whereas Bruno is .....hence i can see the logic of playing here there ....with March injured and Buckley leaving ..et al..i don't think Sami had many options

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As an out sider I was confused by the hyypia appointment.

I can't understand the thinking behind it, maybe he is more of a yes man?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'm not judging recruitment until the window closes. Yes, frustrating it's not been sorted already, but I'll give them a chance to get it done. I think most teams still have a lot of deals to be done.

Don't think you can judge tactics or managerial ability after 3 games, it takes time to get your ideas across and ingrained into the players.

Not saying everything is sweethess and light, but it's a long season and far too early to decide how it's going to go. My fundamental feelings is that TB would not spend a fortune to provide superb facilities and neglect the squad - that makes no sense. Frustrating we see not much happening regarding incomings, but I don't expect these things to be done in the public eye. I think many people see nothing happening and assume nothing is happening.

Exactly my thoughts. It is too early to call, but the manager is implementing a new system and hasn't yet got the full squad to deliver it. We'll have a better idea in a few weeks time, so let's wait and see, eh?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We have conceded one goal in both our games. This is to be expected at this level. There is not a lot wrong at the back. It's our inability to create and score goals that is the problem and that because the forward line would not even be a good championship pairing and we have zero quality behind them to create. That's not Sammi's fault, it's the men who sign the players....We pay £500k for O'Grady who is basically a journeyman and not even a very good one, his record shows you that. While Leeds pick up Billy Sharp a proven championship level striker for £450k, says it all.

Has someone spiked my drink?? I agree with kevtherev.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Spot on. Both of those things!
For me when you add the poor levels of match day service and prices going up at the Amex season after season. I'm starting to get a bit fed up with it all.

This.

Followed by, so far, poor recruitment, followed by baffling tactics by Hyypia.

But overriding sense of I justice over the fact that barber is screwing us all and taking advantage of our passion.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm a bit more concerned about Hyypia as a manager than the player recruitment. On the face of it once Crofts is back and Stephens returns we really don't have a terrible team other than our forward line and left back. I'm sure that will be rectified in due course.

Hyypia despite his time in Germany is still inexperienced and I wonder whether we ought to push him towards getting an experienced assistant in to let him know when he's getting it wrong? Otherwise I can see his relationship with this Club souring quite quickly and I'd hate to see him fail due to a lack of support.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I certainly feel both.
I am not keen on wing backs even with 3 at the back
inevitably weakens wide attack and defense
yes with the right players and movement it can work better than it has for us
but our available full backs need defensive cover in front of them
Having said all that the real problem is going forward
I am afraid the front three we have started so far
COG CMS/Fenelon and Lua Lua do not seem good enough
this must represent a failure of recruitment
hopefully the young lad (kudos to Sami there) can make a difference
but ideally we need a couple more .
Desperate for more quality in the final third

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I am prepared to believe the club (although losing faith a bit) that we will have decent squad come 1 Sept. But I find our approach to transfer recruitment bizarre. This is not first time we have failed to sort out most of our business as window closing date gets close. But to at the same time let 8 of of playoff starters leave in advance it feels a kamakazee approach.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hyppia and his tactics because of poor player recruitment. When the players who can play Hyppias way are here his tactics will look better, so a bit of each. I can fully underdstand selling our highest value players to raise cash for FFP provided we bring in cheaper adequate replacements who can play the Hypppia way. It appears that theatre players we have cant do that.

Looking at the last three Championship seasons, of the 9 teams that have been relegated the team who scored the most goals - Bristol City hit the net 56 times in the 2012/13 campaign, whilst Yeovil in the last campaign only scored 31 times. The average being just over 43 times. Stating the obvious, it is generally lack of goals that gets you relegated - so just need to find a striker that will net a minimum of 1 goal a game & we should just be ok.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?307048-**-BHA-v-Leeds-Score-Predictor-**

Only three clubs in the 72 football league have failed to hit the onion bag so far in the league. Could we be the only team after Tuesday night?

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
I am prepared to believe the club (although losing faith a bit) that we will have decent squad come 1 Sept. But I find our approach to transfer recruitment bizarre. This is not first time we have failed to sort out most of our business as window closing date gets close. But to at the same time let 8 of of playoff starters leave in advance it feels a kamakazee approach.

I have no idea what's going on with recruitment but as a guess i would say the club are trying to get down the wage levels to comply with FFP, shipping out high wage earners whilst bringing in lower earners with ability[we hope].

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We have conceded one goal in both our games. This is to be expected at this level. There is not a lot wrong at the back. It's our inability to create and score goals that is the problem and that because the forward line would not even be a good championship pairing and we have zero quality behind them to create. That's not Sammi's fault, it's the men who sign the players....We pay £500k for O'Grady who is basically a journeyman and not even a very good one, his record shows you that. While Leeds pick up Billy Sharp a proven championship level striker for £450k, says it all.

I agree with most of this. Defence is not the problem. We've done okay so far and, as you say, 1 goal conceded per game is not a bad record across a season.

The problem isn't so much we haven't scored, more that we haven't really looked like scoring. If we were creating chances and missing them, I wouldn't be so concerned. O'Grady wasn't signed to be the main striker, that is the player we really need for CMS, O'Grady, KLL and others to play off.

I strongly disagree about Sharp. His recent record is poor at this level and the rumour is he is on £20K a week at Leeds. If true, that's ridiculous. He's also injury prone and seems to have lost his way in recent years. I think O'Grady is much better than he's shown so far. He looks low on confidence, which is worrying, but hopefully with better new signings around him, he will be more effective. Time will tell.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The squad is still short of quality but should be capable of more than two (?) shots on target against teams like Shef Wed and Birmingham.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've gone for both in the poll. Our recruitment has been poor so far and we haven't got the number of quality players we need to date. Hopefully Texeira and Holla will be good signings and more will follow (striker, left back and at least one more attacker). It also has to be said, we would have been a better team yesterday with Stephens, Crofts and March available.

On the other hand, our one remaining creative player is LuaLua and Hyypia's tactics seem to be affecting him. We've played two poor teams and not looked like scoring, which is worrying. I don't blame Hyypia for the CMS substitution yesterday as he's got a lot of games, CMS had played a full game on Tuesday and most of yesterday's match with other games coming up in the next couple of weeks. The lack of depth was shown by the players we were able to bring on yesterday and that's not Hyypia's fault.

We need to give Hyypia time when he's got a full squad to work with. Anyone singing "You don't know what you're doing" to a manager after three games is pathetic in my opinion. Hardly supporting the team, is it?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
It's certainly a bit of both A and B. It really doesn't help though that expectation levels have been raised to such high levels over the past few years.

We have all enjoyed some of the clubs best ever years during Poyet's time as manager and to a slightly lesser extent last season.

We all want to see this success built on rather than squandered away - and we do seem to be going backwards slightly at the moment.

But we mustn't lose sight of the big picture and football fans across the world would give anything to have not only a real fan as their owner, but a wealthy one who is prepared to invest heavily in the infrastructure of the club.

We have a bright future ahead built on solid foundations thanks to TB. It's not going to always be easy but try to enjoy the ride.

You have to have some downs to appreciate the ups!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here