Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Who is getting FAT?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
*raises hand*

Have been self isolating since Saturday. No fever or sore throat but have had a consistent chesty cough. This has meant no running as I would normally. I am also lucky enough to still be working as can work from home every day, but that has meant 12 hour days on the desk, followed by a short walk to cook everyone food. Said food has consisted of whatever we can get so I've been adding gravys, sauces, butter or whatever to improve the taste of my concoctions and washing it down with a beer. Then a fun evening sat in front of NSC or the googlebox before retiring for 8 hours kip and doing it over.

I've already put on a stone. I'm going to be the size of a house by the end of May unless this effing cough shifts.

Easier to spot in a crowded coffee shop :D

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I only drink in pubs, very rarely at home. Gone from about 35 pints a week to about 6 cans at home in the last 3 weeks. I've never felt like drinking at home, I'm 51, so this actually hasn't been hard for me. I've lost half a stone in the 3 weeks.
I went out on my bike yesterday for the first time in 18 months, will go out again tomorrow and hope to keep it up, if the weather stays good, I will.
I'm on tablets for high blood pressure, so my BP is OK but it has dropped even further since the pubs shut! I test my BP 6 times a day as I'm on a clinical trial.
I'm hoping that this lockdown carries on for a little longer, maybe 3 weeks and hoping the pubs don't open for a while longer. Then I will go back to drinking in the pub but hopefully nowhere near as much. It was pretty much nearly everyday.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I only drink in pubs, very rarely at home. Gone from about 35 pints a week to about 6 cans at home in the last 3 weeks. I've never felt like drinking at home, I'm 51, so this actually hasn't been hard for me. I've lost half a stone in the 3 weeks.
I went out on my bike yesterday for the first time in 18 months, will go out again tomorrow and hope to keep it up, if the weather stays good, I will.
I'm on tablets for high blood pressure, so my BP is OK but it has dropped even further since the pubs shut! I test my BP 6 times a day as I'm on a clinical trial.
I'm hoping that this lockdown carries on for a little longer, maybe 3 weeks and hoping the pubs don't open for a while longer. Then I will go back to drinking in the pub but hopefully nowhere near as much. It was pretty much nearly everyday.

35 pints a week, how is that distributed? Do you drink 5 a day?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've been working at home a lot for the last year, and cycling less after my knee op (which wasn't the greatest success) so I came into COVA a stone overweight. Probably holding steady, as I am no longer buying lunch at work 3 days a week. I have also finally expunged all gluten from my diet owing to the loss of said work lunches and more time to take better care, so my remaining alimentary distress has now fully departed. Every cloud...

"Alimentary". Loving the words Harry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To answer the question, no I’m losing weight but then I’m running regularly again. I love food so I did get a bit heavier when I was out injured.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m still following in your footsteps [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 3-4 weeks of not being fully right and slight cheeriness. (Edit: I meant chestiness but spellcheck knows my nickname)

Initially put on 5lbs before stabilising. Have a self regulating input valve that restricts input when stomach starts to increase in size. In between meals now only eating half a loaf of Real Patisserie sourdough a day with various jams or cheese, ice cream, cake and half a pack of chocolate digestives. 55,000 calories saved from not drinking in 2020.

Same weight as at the start of Brighton Marathon this week last year and 5lbs heavier than when I eventually finished it.

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I think I have put on a bit (round the middle), but I don't have scales. At the start of the lockdown I kept feeling hungry so ate way too much + I was eating any junk left in the shops :smile:

Not too bothered as weather getting warmer and I will eat less, do miss going out for long walks though

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I only drink in pubs, very rarely at home. Gone from about 35 pints a week to about 6 cans at home in the last 3 weeks. I've never felt like drinking at home

What with drinking 35 pints a week in pubs, don't expect that actually LEAVES much time for drinking at home :lol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Because I’m no longer catching a train at 6am, I’m able to run more regularly and I’m not snacking on the journey home through boredom. I can work a 10 hour shift at my desk in the lounge and still have more me time than before.

Consequently, I’m now 10 lb lighter than before I started working from home every day.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What with drinking 35 pints a week in pubs, don't expect that actually LEAVES much time for drinking at home [emoji38]
[emoji23] It doesn't take long to drink 4 pints. [emoji12]

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Will somebody please please confirm that warm croissants with Nutella are good for you

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Will somebody please please confirm that warm croissants with Nutella are good for you

Relax, croissants are extremely good for you.
Lidls do exceptionally healthy ones from their fresh bakery section at the right price of 49p each.
If you would like to stock up to avoid unnecessary shopping I recommend the M&S frozen variety, they are as close to fresh croissants as I have found.
Top tip, Unless you really know what you are doing do not try to make them yourself, it is nothing like making bread or cakes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was Friday night last night. I had a burger and chips followed by a Magnum.

I had four cans of Stowford Press, a bottle of Corona and two gin and tonics that were each in the triple-quadruple range (who measures spirits at home?).

Whilst drinking this I had a bag of Doritos. Well, I say bag, it was one of those massive sacks. The sort that even if you are sharing them, as you should, they would probably last a few nights. The sack lasted me about half an hour.

The problem is I’ve had about a month of “Friday nights” one after the other now.

Despite having my two highest mileage running weeks over the last fortnight, I put on two pounds each week. I’m not looking forward to my next weigh-in on Monday morning.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Maintaining at 13st 3lbs due to sensible eating and drinking during the week, daily Joe Wicks, on line Pilates and my 1 hour bike ride per day. But tonight is Saturday = Curry Leaf Cafe home delivery night so will wash down with a couple of pints of Long Blond from the good people at Long Man Brewery. Simple pleasures.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I had four cans of Stowford Press, a bottle of Corona and two gin and tonics that were each in the triple-quadruple range (who measures spirits at home?).

Whilst drinking this I had a bag of Doritos. Well, I say bag, it was one of those massive sacks. The sort that even if you are sharing them, as you should, they would probably last a few nights. The sack lasted me about half an hour.

The problem is I’ve had about a month of “Friday nights” one after the other now.

Despite having my two highest mileage weeks over the last fortnight, I put on two pounds each week. I’m not looking forward to my next weigh-in on Monday morning.

A magnum of what?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Despite having my two highest mileage weeks over the last fortnight, I put on two pounds each week. I’m not looking forward to my next weigh-in on Monday morning.

Be kind to yourself and postpone that weigh-in for a week, give yourself a chance to make up for a questionable week. What good will a disappointment do?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Since I stopped smoking about 8 years ago, I have responded to my Doctor's advice and changed my diet drastically.
Stopped Crisps etc.
Cut down on beer.
Cut down on cheese
Cut down on bread.
Increased fruit and veg. (Changed lunch at work from sandwiches/rolls and crisps to salad and fruit)
Went from 96 kg to 83.

Last year I retired,so am exercising on a X trainer and exercise bike plus going for power walks.
From late last year stopped eating meat.
Since lockdown having Breakfast as usual but main meal at around 3-4pm and a couple of Ryvita and cheese at 7pm
Not allowed to leave the house so X trainer 5 KM /8KM alternate days.

Now 77kg!
Target is 72 which I weighed 25 years ago :)

Bloody hell, good work :clap:
How does it feel to be twenty kg lighter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here