Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is currently our best player?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I would say you could make a case for:

Ryan - most international appearances, key player
Lamptey - biggest future, linked to Munich
White - massive future linked to... everyone
Dunk - Captain, experience, England international
Veltman - current Dutch international. Played 27 times for the Netherlands, nearly 200 games for Ajax
Bissouma - huge talent, added more discipline to his game, pivotal to the way we play
Lallana - 34 appearances for England, well over 100 for Liverpool exceptionally gifted
Trossard - emerging, skilful Belgian star, scores goals no one else in our team can
Welbeck - played for United, Arsenal and England and scored goals with all three
Maupay - key player, still young, top scorer last season

That’s ten. I have no idea what the correct answer is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We have one player of outstanding quality who can hurt the best of sides - Lamptey.

Of the rest, Bissouma and White would all command sizeable transfer fees, and Dunk would get game time in almost every Top 6 Prem side.

It would be great to see this side all click on the same day and batter an opponent - I think it could happen this season.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Not sure about best but most important is Welbeck. The player I'd least like to get injured.

Yes,this.
I was trying to say this but I ended up waffling on and not making my point.
I think because he is so important and gets us the goals and has the quality then if I had to choose a best then I choose Welbeck.
Even though I am massive fans of bissouma, dunk,lallana,white and lamptey.
Cheers.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m surprised this has developed into a discussion.
I thought everyone would say Lamptey.
This is not to say we don’t have other good players but Lamptey is on a different level entirely.
He’s arguably been a top five stand out player in the whole league.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lallana.

Someone posted the other day (not sure who) he is the best player at the club since Vicente, which I agree with.
If he can fit.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Agreed on Bissouma, he is probably my second pick.

Not sure I agree with you (and many others) saying Lamptey though. At least not yet. I love his pace, energy and direct style. But if I’m being honest, his technique in delivering the ball into the box or ability to spot the final pass is not there yet. I think his electric pace is what’s caught the eye, if you analyse what he actually produces with the ball I can see why Chelsea let him go. That will come though and when it does he will be the correct answer to this question. At the moment, I’d have him fourth or fifth.

:ffsparr:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I still think it’s possibly Alzate, which sounds ridiculous bearing in mind he can’t get in the team.

Alcatel needs to stop giving the ball away in dangerous areas of the field , this is why I think GP is giving him a rest at the moment,
Has cost us at least 3 goals ,

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Bissouma. Defensively solid this season, starts attacks, a threat from distance is as tricky as they come. Other people may make cases for Dunk, Lamptey or Lallana possibly even Solly March who has been fantastic but this season so far Bissouma has proved himself to be one of the best midfielders in the league ( in my opinion ).

He has been superb but still needs to cut some errors out of his game. It's part of playing that position, as we have seen Alzate and Propper turn the ball over resulting in goals, but Bissouma has been lucky a number of times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lamptey by a country mile imo and he hasn’t come close to his potential either

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
He has been superb but still needs to cut some errors out of his game. It's part of playing that position, as we have seen Alzate and Propper turn the ball over resulting in goals, but Bissouma has been lucky a number of times.

I feel like Bissouma is less careless, stronger on the ball and makes better decisions than the other two currently though. Against Villa, Burnley even the loss at Spurs Bissouma was top class for the most part.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's easily Lamptey. You just have to look at social media comment on match days from non-BHA fans to see how highly he's rated from a neutral perspective (as well as opposition fans). For all of Klopp's moaning about Liverpool having to play 2 games in 4 days, he will delighted that he doesn't have to worry about Tazza.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Lallana followed by Lamptey for me

I think that's my opinion at the moment too and I've noticed that the two of them seem to have developed a really good understanding on the pitch.

I know Lallana's best days are behind him and he probably won't play as much as we'd like him to but I've thought his intelligence, skills and experience have added a lot to our play this season. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here